Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

anyone removed rear bumper? - parking sensors

Hi all, im fitting my parking sensors( eventually) and would like to do it without removing the bumper but before i start drilling holes:o im just wondering whats behind there?

anyone got or know of where there r pics of the bumper removed??

robbie.

[Edited on 18-2-2002 by fluff34567]

ok, well i have taken the bumper off, it was very easy takes about 30 - 45 mins at the most providing you have tools, all that is behind the bumper is a molded polystrene block (think they call this the 5mph bumper)

i have marked up the bumper, this is the most time consuming (2hrs +) as there isnt really a datum edge to measure from, just lots of multiple measurments to make sure the sensors are in line.

The other problem is that there isnt a truly flat surface to mount the sensors on( except for the bottom,but thats too low and at the wrong angle for the sensors). As such its a comprimise, mine will be about 7 cm from the lip on the bumper ( where it bulges out below the boot lid, if u know what i mean?)

I now need to get a decent hole saw, a spade bit just rips the plastic apart, i practised on a piece of flat guttering, good thing!!!:o

I got my sensors whilst i was in Holland, but if u do a search on yahoo there r lots of companies in the UK offering the kits, mine is made by QUANAN and has 5 sensors and a digital display giving u the distance, the kit got the best buy award from auto express in march '01, you can get the kit with 6 sensors as well, mine are the flush type though the surround does protude a little.

when i looked at the lexus ones they only offered 2 sensors and they were horrible black ones that stuck on to the outside of the bumper about £500 then.

I am planning fitting 3 at the back and 2 at the front. I will try and borrow a digi camera tomo so i can geta few pics for you.

any Q's let me know.

robbie.

I have fitted the 3 sensors to the back bumper, in the end i used a spade bit, i found that if i place a block of wood behind the bumper it stopped the bit from jumping, drilling the first hole was the worst, because if it goes pete tong then its expensive to fix.

All 3 holes went ok, cleaned up the plastic and fitted the sensors, they are pretty flush giving the curve of the bumper, which is now back on the car, unfortunatly i couldnt get hold of a digi camera so no pics sorry!

ill have a look at taking the front bumper off tomo and drill the holes before it goes in for a re-spray, the dealer has offered to paint the sensors at the same time so they will then match ( black at the mo)

cheers

robbie.

[Edited on 18-2-2002 by fluff34567]

hi all, I have finished fitting the parking sensors and the digital display, i have 3 at the back and 2 at the front, it is very accurate, measures in 2cm increments and down to 35 cm, i checked how accurate it was before trusting it. Only thing is as i have the sensors front and back i have had to wire in a switch for on/off, thats why i know how most of the dash comes out! apart from having to drill the holes everything was easy to do.

if anyone wants more info U2U me.

robbie.

robbie,

when you say "down to 35 cm", do you mean that's the closest it'll measure to, or that's where it starts measuring from?

I'd be interested to see piccies too if you can post any.

That is the closest it measures down to, that is how the processor is designed, but 35cm is not much, so i think it is about right, it can measure up to about 3m away down to the 35cm in 2 cm increments, also get a beeping sound from the digital display which changes as i get closer i.e more beeps = closer. I have mounted the display on the dash tray so its easy to see, i was thinking of having the reverse beeper disconnected, but it doesnt really make a differenceas the sensor beeper is louder.

robbie.

• 4 months later...

I am getting a set of quanan rear sensors for my car... the visibility is difficult to see at the back of my car... worst car ever ...so the rear sensors will really be a help. I will let you know when i have them fitted. possibly at the end of the month...

As for the distance gauge i thought about placing tit on the pillar above the passanger seat belts as it would look better there!

Just worried about drilling holes

http://home.freeuk.com/cleargate/

I bought a set called Park Boy IV. This was after Lexus said they wouldnt fit the standard items as mycar is a manual and there would be a conflict with all the buzzers. It is a 4 sensor set with a visual display ( both lights and distance display) mind you it also has a buzzer and the pitch is so much higher than the reverse buzzer so it wouldnt have been a problem.

I had intended to fit the system myself but bottled it!! After a number of calls and emails to Lexus and my dealer I final ground them down and had Lexus fit it for me. They charged 3 hous labour and did a brilliant job, and it took all the worry of drilling the bumper ( the only bit that worried me) away.

Cowards way out I know but ................

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links