Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2005 IS250

Hi gang - i am looking to buy is250 87k miles but the model is of 2005. It is mainly maintained from lexus showroom and 2 owners. The price is £5k. 

is it worth buying such a old model of lexus? And also is it worth £5k? 

looking forward to your suggestions

That would be mk2, so better moved to that area.

Regarding the price - this is the market price, so it is more not whenever it is worth it, but if you willing to pay it. I paid £4000 for 2008 car in 2014 with 120k miles, got it crashed, written-off, insurance paid £3800 in 2019 and I sold the car for £2500 on top of that. And today such car would still cost £4000+ which is ridiculous when you think about it.

On other hand there are reasons why it costs what it costs, at £4000 it simply represents great value of money and you get a lot of car for money, just look at the list of equipment (you didn't say what trim it is) if it SE-L then it has pretty much everything even most modern cars have. mk3 from 2013 really does not offer anything more for £12,000+. And what exactly could you get for less than £4000 nowadays that would be as reliable, as comfortable, as "powerful", as good to drive and as well equipped? 

Now obviously I am working around £4000 mark, but it could be worth £5000 especially if as you said it has full dealership service history (which is the most important thing when buying Lexus), it is as well low mileage car for it's age (which is not necessary positive, but justifies higher cost). So overall it doesn't sound like ridiculous price, it is about right for mileage and car, what you left with is then really the overall condition of the car, how does it look cosmetically, what trim it is, what options it has, how good are the tyres etc.

Overall I would say £5000 will be at higher end for 2005 car (early 2006 to be fair even if it is on 55 plate), but again that is the price for the mileage. I would rather get car with double the mileage, but in better condition, better trim etc. as mileage is not the issue for Lexus as long as it was maintained. As well 80k is kind of "stupid" mileage as you O2 sensors are likely original still at the point and about to require replacement, same for spark plugs etc. Overall, 80k miles is the point where potentially most of the parts will still be original and about to fail. Whereas on car with say 120k miles those would have inevitably failed and must have been replaced if it is still on the road. Obviously, this is speculation as it is possible previous owners have replaced it based on age an not mileage, but then you need to look specifically in what was done. Lower mileage cars in my experience will as well have more rust on suspension and exhaust in particular. The body on IS mk2 generally does not rust, but be prepared to replace things like tie rod ends if you want wheel adjustment, because they very likely to be rusted solid.

I can't say much more without seeing actual example. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ask yourself this question Bs. What else can I get for £5k?

Look in the gen 2 IS  section of the forum. This is where you should be looking for info and advice. Within this section is a thread titled What to look out for in an is250. It is thorough and tells you everything you need to know about the superb 2nd gen is250. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I paid £4000 for my 2006 SE-L with just over 90K miles last December knowing it needed a full set of new tyres, bonnet and boot struts and some other bits and bobs that were missing - all in all it came to around £4800. I was happy to pay this and never looked back.

Good luck with your decision 

Neil.        

Buying an older model like the Lexus IS250 from 2005 can be a subjective decision based on your preferences and priorities. Here are a few factors to consider when evaluating whether it's worth buying:

Reliability: Lexus vehicles are generally known for their reliability and durability. However, since the model is from 2005, it's important to assess its maintenance history and any potential issues commonly associated with that specific year. The fact that it has been maintained at a Lexus showroom is a positive sign.

Mileage: The mileage of 87,000 is moderately low for a car of its age, which is favorable. Lower mileage suggests that the vehicle has been driven less and may have experienced less wear and tear.

Ownership history: Two owners for a 2005 vehicle is reasonable, and it's positive if both owners took good care of the car. It's worth asking for service records to gain a better understanding of how the vehicle has been maintained over time.

Price: The £5,000 price tag is subjective and can vary based on several factors like location, condition, and market demand. It's advisable to research the current market value for similar vehicles in your area to determine if the asking price is fair.

Features and technology: Since the car is from 2005, it may lack some of the advanced features and technology found in more recent models. If having the latest features is important to you, it may be worth considering a newer model or a different vehicle altogether.

Ultimately, the decision depends on your personal preferences, budget, and willingness to invest in an older car. It's recommended to have the vehicle inspected by a trusted mechanic to assess its condition thoroughly. Additionally, researching consumer reviews and owner experiences for the specific model and year can provide further insights into potential issues or advantages.

Just from personal experience with IS mk2 - lower miles may actually be worse... the cars which spend more time standing, may be worse than higher mileage cars (provided they were maintained)

Technology in mk2 is very good, honestly it is much better equipped even than mk3 (unless you paid to get best trim and options)... and it is kind of few ways to look at it - Lexus is horrible as far as infotainment controls are considered to mk2 from 2005 is not much worse than the really latest car from 2023. However where all the other options are concerned e.g. heated cooled seats and similar stuff, then mk2 may actually be better. 

Where I really agree - on Lexus the service history is particularly important. If maintained Lexus are much more reliable cars than any other brand, regardless of mileage. But if not maintained they can become real headache. 

• Like 1

Also Mk2 styling is completely original and perfectly proportioned. Mk3 is well proportioned but its detailing is generic house style. Just my opinion! Also: unsought by thieves, not even for the hard-to-reach catalytic converter. 

Removing cats from IS250 would be very difficult, but I believe mk3 300h has one big cat and thieves generally like hybrids... Something to do with amount of platinum and it being cleaner in hybrid car. 

As for the styling... it is obviously very personal thing, I think mk2 is very "clean" design which has aged very well, I like mk3 details, but it is kind of bit fussy and I much prefer RC, because same details are better proportioned on RC than they are on IS.

At very least regular service history, I would almost say that is more important than any particular service items individually. So that is more psychological thing than it is mechanical - if owners were sticking to service schedule, then they likely were fixing everything that needs fixing as well. It is basically attitude of sticking to car services and keeping it in good condition.

Following the service schedule and replacing fluids and whatever schedule say is bare minimum, but if you get all invoices then it is really not hard to piece it together, because Lexus always gives RAG of the issues that needs fixing. If you can see that owner addressed the issues, either with Lexus, or maybe third party garage after they were raised, then again this shows correct attitude and you can have confidence buying the car. 

However, if you see missing services (should never ever happen under any circumstances), or if you see same items being pointed out times and times again, then it is good indicator car was not cared for or owner lacked either money or knowledge to care. Same for advisories in MOT, once it is not issue, but if you see advisory for 5 years in a row, then it is sign of bad owner. As well MOT failure for obvious things, sure if it failed for some obscure ball-joint where you have to be under the car to see, then fine... it happens. But if the car failed due to bald tyres, low brake pads, not working lights then again this is indicator that person who owned the car had no clue how to care for it... anyone who is knowledgeable (and sadly it seems such people are increasingly rare) would do a little "walk around" before MOT, just kick tyres, look at the thread, look at the pads, switch the lights and see if obvious things are all working... things that one would expect to be working when just generally driving the car, but just a little extra step. I am sure nobody check if they fog lights are working before each drive, but before MOT is exactly the time to do, if owner could not bother spending 10 minutes looking at the car before MOT, then rest assured they never cared in the first place. 

Now one personal bug bear of mine are mismatched or budget tyres, sure there are plenty of exceptions, but generally that is the sign of bad care and it simple check. People who understands the cars and cares for them won't have mismatched tyres on same axle, and I would argue, nor they would have budget tyres. Mid-range tyres are fine, premium tyres are preferred on premium car, but if they are budget or worse... mismatched budget, then expect the service history being about the same. I generally use it as a first red flag, meaning I will check car extra thoughtfully and with full scepticism if I see mismatched tyres and instead of giving it benefit of the doubt I will consider that anything that isn't written on the paper isn't done.

Obviously, we need to add caveat about the price etc. If you paying top price for the car, then expect all above to be in order, if the price is average, then some of the things will be missing, but if you buying the cheapest example on the market then it will likely have a lot of red flags. In short - you get what you pay, but make sure you get it, because I often see cars listed at high price with statements "always cared for no expense spared" and car sits on 3 different budget tyres and one Continental which predates the car itself!

• Like 1

On 5/28/2023 at 5:03 PM, MartinH said:

Also Mk2 styling is completely original and perfectly proportioned. Mk3 is well proportioned but its detailing is generic house style. Just my opinion! Also: unsought by thieves, not even for the hard-to-reach catalytic converter. 

😮 Mk3 for me. I still think it's a fresh looking saloon. 1715979386_PXL_20230521_1219483182.thumb.jpg.9bdcf57d2be62fd6e06bcede733533ef.jpg

Recently found my Mk2 for sale. 3 years later and it had been given a makeover.... ☹️

1364769775_IMG-20180615-WA0014(2018-06-29T13_58_48.000).thumb.jpg.7967b38685ff8c697022aad5ec128ba2.jpg

Screenshot_20230407-205457.thumb.png.be89be35e8cc395276e5e0e019a54c8b.png

I think what makes mk3 feel fresher than it is... in UK is that we never got mk3.5. And for the same price they haven't depreciated more in line with the market (I know market is crazy, but not that crazy for 10 year car with 100k+ miles to cost £12k+). So yes it is still "current model" because we never got the new car and I don't directly consider ES as replacement.

I am not saying it is bad car, just recognising it is 10 years old now, but in other hand it did aged well... even interior if you got F-Sport still feels very modern... not even sure if there any car today which does something significantly better. Add 10.8" android sat-nav screen and it is pretty much as good car as any.

It certainly is striking in that blue! 

Colour palette of current Lexus is so dull: silver, grey, and black is what buyers seem to want. Yet it is not so monochrome as Toyota. I came past a big dealership in Essex (on the bike, since you ask) and every single car out front was in the same 'fashionable' grey. Boring!

2 hours ago, MartinH said:

It certainly is striking in that blue! 

Colour palette of current Lexus is so dull: silver, grey, and black is what buyers seem to want. Yet it is not so monochrome as Toyota. I came past a big dealership in Essex (on the bike, since you ask) and every single car out front was in the same 'fashionable' grey. Boring!

Thanks, ultrasonic blue(USB) and the newer USB 2 stand out nicely. 

Many boring colours. Every other car is mineral grey or sapphire black. 

21 hours ago, Linas.P said:

I think what makes mk3 feel fresher than it is... in UK is that we never got mk3.5. And for the same price they haven't depreciated more in line with the market (I know market is crazy, but not that crazy for 10 year car with 100k+ miles to cost £12k+). So yes it is still "current model" because we never got the new car and I don't directly consider ES as replacement.

I am not saying it is bad car, just recognising it is 10 years old now, but in other hand it did aged well... even interior if you got F-Sport still feels very modern... not even sure if there any car today which does something significantly better. Add 10.8" android sat-nav screen and it is pretty much as good car as any.

Agree shame lexus didn't bring the Mk3.5 IS to the UK. Very good looking car but there's not enough demand for lexus saloons these days. 

I went back through the forum to 2007 and a poll showed that a number of MK1 IS drivers were under 35. That car competed quite well with the 3 series on performance (is200 - 320i) (is300 - 330i). 300h competed with the 320d only.

Apart from Fleet buyers, the IS makes for a niche choice. 

With my mileage coming right down, I've chosen to trade the IS in and get a newer 340i. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links