Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My final goodbye to my LS (not this forum)

So after 16 years I no longer have an LS in my hands.  My beloved Mk4 sat on the drive for a month or so, but no one interested enough to take it on a as project.

A week ago I tried to fire the beast up, but she refused, could have been the starter motor, but the scrap man came today to take it away to Durlsey Breaks (off A38). First time in 16 years I ever had an LS do that, maybe she was protesting about being parked up (like she was at Dia Woodhams Steam Graveyard of the 70's awaiting the inevitable, with no hope of some benefactor towing her off to a new nirvana)

One last time I set in the drivers seat turned on the stereo and know I would sorely miss the sound system, the darned comfortable seats, but I knew I would not miss the wife going on about how much I had spent on that car in 11 years (which was naff all, but she seems to think I had), it has been  the cheapest car to date to run, even with average MPG of just under 25 on daily commute.

Still getting used to my seven speed E350 (13 years old), not as comfortable as LS, but does have Bluetooth, and does 44mpg on commute, and  that V6 diesel sounds almost as good as a V8 when you give some serious welly.

If I ever come back to Lexus not sure what it would be, not keen on the newer hybrids and the stupidly busy dashboards, the E350 is more old school, not as simple as LS400, more like a 430, and to me that is enough to keep you out of trouble without wondering what some light or noise is trying to tell you (as you go through some red light coz they changed the layout of a roundabout since you last navigated it three years ago).

I have been thinking should I divorce the wife and get a SC430, saw a lovely one the other day, but not enough as it is with the four cards in our family. (mind you one less if I get rid of the wife, maybe no more cars as the kids will disown me as well😈)

As per previous chats, will keep on this forum which I love as much as the LS, and such a brilliant collection of true gents who have helped over the years - I say thanks and carry on enjoying your steeds.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

I have been thinking should I divorce the wife and get a SC430

You can trick her - say it is present to her... could she refuse? 

My heartfelt condolences ....... quite honestly I really do not know what car I would have to substitute my Ls400  .  not even a complex machine comparatively like the Ls400 Mk4 would do me I fear

I have no need to bang on about how marvellous in each and every respect our ancient steeds are .  and will so continue to the day they ( and me )  drop .....  if ever methinks

My thoughts are with a potential Ls700 / Toyota new Crown hydrogen power sedan  .  and i shall be investigating this seriously for sure at some stage

Once again, my heart felt condolences on your sad sad loss  ......  only someone who has had a lifetime ( in car years ) with a Ls400 will understand the on-going loss one would feel

Good luck with your future cars

Malc

Really sorry to hear this news Pete.  A very sad day for you after 16 years with a LS. Those of us who have had a LS for some time (12 and 10 years for my two cars) will know how you feel. 

Good to know that you will be staying on the forum.

All the best 

Colin 

• Like 1

My condolences Pete :sad:. Never easy to say goodbye to a car, even if it's recently been unreliable.

I remember saying goodbye to my first 98 Honda Legend that I had owned for 10 years and 110k miles (155k total) 😢.
It ran beautifully but rust and the failing suspension made it uneconomical to repair.
The scrap merchant who came to pick it up was amazed when I started it and drove it onto the flatbed.

18 months later I had the opposite experience when I scrapped my S320CDI. Couldn't get shot of that piece of 💩 soon enough. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cotswold Pete said:

If I ever come back to Lexus not sure what it would be, not keen on the newer hybrids and the stupidly busy dashboards, the E350 is more old school, not as simple as LS400, more like a 430, and to me that is enough to keep you out of trouble without wondering what some light or noise is trying to tell you (as you go through some red light coz they changed the layout of a roundabout since you last navigated it three years ago).

You make a very interesting point here Pete. I am not saying go back to the 1960's cars but the technology now available -  is it really necessary? I hope to do a review of my LS 400 as some point and I will make some comparisons with my NX300h. 

The tech, if you are not careful, can be more distracting than helpful. I never use the infotainment screen / menu etc while driving. Fortunately, on the NX, there are buttons for the most useful and used instruments.

I can imagine the younger members of our Lexus community may not agree.

younger .  who me  ........🤣

cars are super and over-tecced methinks  .  the Mk3 Ls400 is probably the last of the " simple " cars with then modern tecc  .....  just look at the cost of repairing the steering rake, in and out, up and down, a couple of £ 000's on most cars these days  BUT the Mk3 is a simple steel washer and some few minutes of old fashioned graft  .  and that's good for another 250k miles too I'll wager

1 hour ago, Spacewagon52 said:

can imagine the younger members of our Lexus community may not agree.

Indeed, I'm thinking to get myself a 1983 summat or other to avoid the London extended ULEZ this August .......... wish there was a Lexus of that ilk, I'd be on it like a shot

Malc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

Indeed, I'm thinking to get myself a 1983 summat or other to avoid the London extended ULEZ this August .......... wish there was a Lexus of that ilk, I'd be on it like a shot

I think my choice might be a well sorted Volvo 260, or maybe wait another few years until the 850 is exempt.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links