Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gracenote Database

32 minutes ago, Al D-Much said:

Just answered my own question 😂
This link may be useful to some
https://21stcenturyfiat124spider.wordpress.com/2022/12/05/gracenote-music-database-version-12-update/

Alex

Have you tried this on a Lexus? I was not sure how generic the gracenote database is and whether is is transferable between different vendors.

Paul

Is Gracenote still working?

Gracenote® service will be removed from the Music app starting in February 2020. After the service is removed, you will no longer be able to download information from Gracenote. The information that will no longer be available includes Title, Artist name, Album name, Jacket photo.27. mar. 2020

3 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:
Is Gracenote still working?

Gracenote® service will be removed from the Music app starting in February 2020. After the service is removed, you will no longer be able to download information from Gracenote. The information that will no longer be available includes Title, Artist name, Album name, Jacket photo.27. mar. 2020

John,

It is certainly true that on my 21 RX the later versions of the MM19 software remove Gracenote functionality (from something like a mid 2021 update) and I believe it does not come on the new NX and RX for instance.  But I wonder if a new database can still be loaded onto cars running older firmware?

Paul

Of reasons for using Gracenote I can see none.

While driving I listen to music, do not look at pictures of artists and albums.

All metadata are normally embedded in the m4a or MP3 files our cars can read. If we listen to music that is streamed, metadata also usually are there.

Gracenote was smart many years ago. If we have lossless music (ML audio is worth it) through line-in, metadata will also be there.

What is alternative to Gracenote? And is there any reason to have that?

Top 4 Gracenote competitors
  • Vionlabs.
  • Vobile.
  • Cognitive Networks.
  • Clipsource.

14 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

All metadata are normally embedded in the m4a or MP3 files our cars can read. If we listen to music that is streamed, metadata also usually are there.

Gracenote was smart many years ago. If we have lossless music (ML audio is worth it) through line-in, metadata will also be there.

• Vionlabs.
  • Vobile.
  • Cognitive Networks.
  • Clipsource.

John,

It adds track names and album names to regular audio CDs.  This is nice to have on the one occasion per year (!) I use a CD in the car.

I agree that with other forms of digital music, meta data is usually encoded in the files.

Paul

42 minutes ago, PDM said:

John,

It adds track names and album names to regular audio CDs.  This is nice to have on the one occasion per year (!) I use a CD in the car.

I agree that with other forms of digital music, meta data is usually encoded in the files.

Paul

Paul,

if you convert 20 CD's to m4a or MP3 (https://www.dbpoweramp.com/) and burn on a DVD you have all the music and (https://www.dbpoweramp.com/perfecttunes.htm)  which is part of DB Poweramp will add possibly missing metadate (usually there are none, DB Poweramp will take all data from the disc) to the audio, meaning you will have these in good quality (depending on bitrate) on a DVD with around 20 or more hours of music on it. At the same time you can also skip the music from the CD's that are not wanted. Most CD's have the music we want plus some more to fill the space on the CD. Pretty sure CD player in your new RX can read at least same type of files than our 2017 CT.

That way there is music enough in 3 DVD's for a tour through a lot of places without listening to the same all the time and without having to change discs often.

john

3 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

• Vionlabs.
  • Vobile.
  • Cognitive Networks.
  • Clipsource.

It's built in to my infotainment system and I'd like it up to date.

Handy for audio CDs giving track titles, and not having to download this, and burn that etc.

4 hours ago, PDM said:

Alex

Have you tried this on a Lexus? I was not sure how generic the gracenote database is and whether is is transferable between different vendors.

Paul

Yep, and Nope didn't work, it read the file as Gracenote, but then rejects the USB stick as faulty, which it isn't

6 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

I have no idea how old you are, but most people will not hear any difference between lossless and 512kbps when passed the 40 - 50 years. 320kbps will also be fine for most.

99% of the time I use high bit rate mp3s on a 512k memory stick.  Quality on ML is excellent.

6 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Paul,

if you convert 20 CD's to m4a or MP3 (https://www.dbpoweramp.com/) and burn on a DVD you have all the music and (https://www.dbpoweramp.com/perfecttunes.htm)  which is part of DB Poweramp will add possibly missing metadate (usually there are none, DB Poweramp will take all data from the disc) to the audio, meaning you will have these in good quality (depending on bitrate) on a DVD with around 20 or more hours of music on it. At the same time you can also skip the music from the CD's that are not wanted. Most CD's have the music we want plus some more to fill the space on the CD. Pretty sure CD player in your new RX can read at least same type of files than our 2017 CT.

That way there is music enough in 3 DVD's for a tour through a lot of places without listening to the same all the time and without having to change discs often.

john

it's just nice to have it work properly when a regular CD is used.

28 minutes ago, PDM said:

99% of the time I use high bit rate mp3s on a 512k memory stick.  Quality on ML is excellent.

The one we have will not read any bigger than 32Gb and only with problems when on rough roads only 16Gb will play without interruption. I suppose you mean 512Gb. 512Kb USB will not have many minutes of music on it.

29 minutes ago, PDM said:

it's just nice to have it work properly when a regular CD is used.

Changing CD that often is not that funny while driving.

1 hour ago, Las Palmas said:

The one we have will not read any bigger than 32Gb and only with problems when on rough roads only 16Gb will play without interruption. I suppose you mean 512Gb. 512Kb USB will not have many minutes of music on it.

correct!  Although I remembered wrongly.  I actually use a 128GB.  Not sure of the limit on MM19, but no issues with 128GB.

Paul

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PDM said:

Which annoyingly I can't use, as soon as my phone is connected to CarPlay it knock out the memory stick.
Although when my phone isn't connected it does work really well.

20 minutes ago, Al D-Much said:

Which annoyingly I can't use, as soon as my phone is connected to CarPlay it knock out the memory stick.
Although when my phone isn't connected it does work really well.

I agree that is very annoying. It seems the system can only talk to one usb port at once (which was sufficient until car play and android auto came along).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2023 at 3:57 AM, Al D-Much said:

Just answered my own question 😂
This link may be useful to some
https://21stcenturyfiat124spider.wordpress.com/2022/12/05/gracenote-music-database-version-12-update/

Tried on my NX300h 2019 Lexus, but it doesn't recognize it. Has anyone had success with Gracenote updates?

14 minutes ago, DavidCM said:

No.Given up and all my music is now on my phone,relayed via Android Auto wirelessly.

I know. I have experience with many cars in UK and USA, with Satnav and Android Auto. My choice is built-in Satnav on Ram 1500. Having Lexus here in the UK and the USA, for the same models, USA cars are way better: buil-in internet for software and traffic (not hotspot, surely plus hotspot), remote start and other perks, SiriusXM (satellite HD radio), Lexus application is much more features enriched. Also, Lexus is now well behind the industry regarding in-car technology. Not buying any more new Lexus. It was nice to drive them.

PS Android Auto via wireless is good, but when connected, your mobile phone is not connected to the car's built-in hotspot. Not good

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links