Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Regrets moving from RX to NX

Hi, I am looking to change my 2021 RX to an NX450h (both Takumi), has anyone done this move and had any regrets or a member of family, if so what were they.  I like the NX a lot but concious I may have overlooked something

Thanks

David

52 minutes ago, Richolf said:

Hi, I am looking to change my 2021 RX to an NX450h (both Takumi), has anyone done this move and had any regrets or a member of family, if so what were they.  I like the NX a lot but concious I may have overlooked something

Thanks

David

I think you should test drive both. 

Personally the new RX is a better vehicle and more refined than the NX450h is

Thanks, I dont want a new RX as the new one whilst better is larger and more expensive.  Downsize or keep are the options here.   I just noticed that the NX for example does not have heated rear seats.

3 minutes ago, Richolf said:

Thanks, I dont want a new RX as the new one whilst better is larger and more expensive.  Downsize or keep are the options here.   I just noticed that the NX for example does not have heated rear seats.

The NX Takumi has heated rear seats

• Thanks 1

I once went from a Jaguar XJ to an S type and found that was a mistake in a lot of ways that would not apply to Lexus. I thank stepping down the price range will always disappoint as you get what you pay for in a lot of cases. 

There are some things that the Nx has that the new RX doesn’t - such as a driving mode knob. RX modes are hidden in the screen. Best testing both thoroughly. 

Discounts to be had on RX (less demand) that are not on NX.

• Thanks 1

Yep, we went from a 2018 RX450 F Sport to a new NX450h F Sport.

Do we regret it………..No the NX satisfies our needs and the plug in electric range of circa 45 miles combined with averages of 47mpg when in pure petrol mode when venturing out on long trips is certainly helping the motoring budget. 50% of our annual mileage is made up of local trips within that 45 mile range

In F Sport spec the car has everything we need & want, including the adaptive damping which makes a difference to the ride on certain roads and not just in the handling. Having had this on the RX it was a must have for us. The NX in F Sport trim also has heated rear seats, unless this has been removed for 2024 models.

The downsides, well it is not as luxurious as the RX, particularly the new RX, but then there is quite a cost difference. I would say that the 2018 RX just edges theNX for luxury but we are happy to trade that for the cost savings in fuel. One other downside is that the boot is smaller and storage space inside the car is more limited. Why oh why didn’t Lexus fit those folding front door pockets to the NX 😠

If you can accept that the NX is smaller and a little bit less luxurious then I’d say that the move from RX to NX is no hardship…………………unless of course you are willing to fund a new RX, then…………….

• Thanks 1

Pure spec wise, changing RX4 to NX450 takumi, you would lose

pan roof

ML stereo

extra seat adjustability and passenger memory

2 cylinders

space 

You Gain

plugin Battery

Lexus safety 3.0

touchscreen infotainment

weight!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Steve44 said:

Pure spec wise, changing RX4 to NX450 takumi, you would lose

pan roof

ML stereo

extra seat adjustability and passenger memory

2 cylinders

space 

You Gain

plugin battery

Lexus safety 3.0

touchscreen infotainment

weight!

ML is now available on MY24 NX450h+ 

Thanks all just got a specification printout from the dealer, heated rear seats are not mentioned nor adaptive damping on the Takumi spec. Seems a few items in the manual are not fitted currently, maybe they are using limited parts for the RX

ML Stereo is now back on the Takumi !

AVS is available on the RX Fsport and Takumi.

alternatively, could do a NX Fsport with a Takumi pack, but imo it’s poor value at £3k extra for what you get

4 minutes ago, Steve44 said:

AVS is available on the RX Fsport and Takumi.

alternatively, could do a NX Fsport with a Takumi pack, but imo it’s poor value at £3k extra for what you get

I am a little on the larger side so not sure those seats would be comfortable long term 🙂

2 hours ago, Richolf said:

Thats partially true

The new RX is not larger than the current one. It just has a longer wheelbase. It is more expensive but I think its worth it based on the ride and interior quality / space in comparison to the NX. 

Realistically speaking if you're looking purely at cost then its cheaper to keep the RX. Wait for it to drop by 15-20k in a year or two and then purchase

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, imgo said:

ML is now available on MY24 NX450h+ 

I never dated the ML in the RX, I’m happy to do without since I can’t tell any difference 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ken R said:

My NX450H Premium Plus has heated rear seats.

Thanks for the correction Ken, are they nice and warm ?

One of the reasons that I wanted an NX was its size.

The RX is bigger than I require and more difficult to fit in my garage and difficult to park etc.(in small car park spaces)

Thanks all, sounds like I am not missing anything obvious.  Smaller less space etc I havent driven a new RX I know if I did I would be temped but I do want a smaller car and there is not much difference in speficication/luxury from the new NX to my current RX .  It is a shame manufacturers dont put the same effort into their smaller cars as they do their top of the range ones. 

34 minutes ago, Richolf said:

Thanks all, sounds like I am not missing anything obvious.  Smaller less space etc I havent driven a new RX I know if I did I would be temped but I do want a smaller car and there is not much difference in speficication/luxury from the new NX to my current RX .  It is a shame manufacturers dont put the same effort into their smaller cars as they do their top of the range ones. 

I agree with you. A few years ago I loved the BMW X5 but thought it was a bit huge. The X3 at the time was quite rubbish in comparison, especially the interior. (so I bought neither 😅)

One comment I would say, having sat in both. I thought that you sit ‘on’ the NX, whereas you sit ‘in’ the RX.

A very personal thing I know, but to me I felt perched on the seat in the NX whereas I felt I sat in the seat in the RX. I think the hip point is lower in the RX despite its larger dimensions. Others may not notice or care. 

• Thanks 1

Just for comparison between the NX350h Takumi (that I have ordered) and the RX350h Takumi.

Nx350h Takumi  £59,485

RX350h Takumi  £76,625

Price premium of £17,140 for the RX, ok it's a bit larger, nicer interior, equipment about the same I think. I could not justify the extra £17k myself, the NX would satisfy all my motoring needs along with lower fuel and maintenance costs.

I have not driven the new RX, but have tried RX450h's before, they felt a little disconnected from the road when compared to my IS300h. The new NX however felt as good as my IS on the road, hence my order. 

Don't get me wrong, if money was no problem I would opt for the RX450h+, but I have a cat to feed. Oh, and I have to keep on the 'good side' of my wife.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links