Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• 1 month later...

I thought it would be a longish sell for this car. Comparing the price I've been offering it at, and that it has only been service by lexus, and that I'm the second owner after lexus had it, and that it's a relatively low mileage for the year, I thought I'd get more interest in it. I got a year's insurance as a second car (surprisingly cheaply) and I was prepared to wait all summer.  I've had six people get in touch to ask questions, but no one has come to see it.

It's starting to annoy me now though!  I've been taking it out every third or fourth journey I make to keep it running nicely, which involves swapping phones and things. It's there outside the house.  Keeping it decently clean is now an issue. (In west wales we get fine Sahara desert sand falling, and there are birds with some unsavoury habits living here.)

I've therefore decided to start reducing the price until it goes. I've now listed it at £5300, including a set of decent wheels, on Autotrader.

In a word, covid. We stopped going out, and in the first year of lockdown the car only did about 300 miles, and not many more for the next two. Normally I have to drive over 90 miles each way to get it serviced. Though it is out of time for it's next service, it hasn't yet done 10000 miles.

: o )

The interval between services is a reccomendation by the manufacturer based on normal usage and your discription of the last four years is anything but normal.

With regard to the engine oil it will detiorate over time and especially doing short journeys as it never gets to operating temparature and is diluted with fuel from cold start ups,this is one of the reasons I change my oil every two years at six thousand mile intervals.

The brakes need servicing even though they are not wearing down as detritus and brake dust collect around the moving parts and corrode them,the fluid should be completely changed.

The power steering fluid should be changed every three years pump some out pump some in to protect the seals.

The diff oil will probably need a change also at 80k .

Just because the car it being lightly used does not mean it is ok to miss service intervals it will show up when normal use is resumed.

I hasten to add this is not a critical review of your post more a warning to others that the service schedule is not written in stone but a guide that needs logical interpretation.

• Like 1

Has your Lexus ever been smoked in?  I could be interested in it but a car that’s been smoked in is a total non-starter for me

Hi Phil,

You are making an incorrect assumption here ...

2 hours ago, ambermarine said:

doing short journeys

The journeys I made, though infrequent, were all sufficient to warm up gearbox, engine and whatever else.

I do agree with you about servicing though, and if I was keeping the car then I'd get it serviced straight away.

And Steve, when I bought the car at a year old with 4000 miles done, the car smelled gorgeous, and no one has smoked in it in the years since.

19 minutes ago, scythe said:

Hi Phil,

You are making an incorrect assumption here ...

The journeys I made, though infrequent, were all sufficient to warm up gearbox, engine and whatever else.

I do agree with you about servicing though, and if I was keeping the car then I'd get it serviced straight away.

And Steve, when I bought the car at a year old with 4000 miles done, the car smelled gorgeous, and no one has smoked in it in the years since.

Sorry I am not assuming you did short journeys I was generalising and pointing to  specific conditions on engine usage.

Pembroke is a million miles away isn’t it….pity otherwise I’d have popped in to see it.

what does this do fuel wise - can it run on standard unleaded, and round town what does it do mpg-wise?  I get 25 out of my 430, and it’s knocking on a bit really 

Hi Steve, yes, wherever you are, I'm a long way away!  I've had perhaps 6 people who've found out where I am, and have immediately lost interest!

I do seem to have sold the car, twice.  Someone 180 miles away says he'll come and buy it on Saturday, and if he doesn't someone else will just buy it without seeing it, and will send a lorry to pick it up.

The car does 31-33 mpg on motorways travelling at the speed limit, and at bit more than that travelling on free-flowing 60mph roads.  It manages about 24 on child-to-school type journeys.  These figures are with the ect set to 'Power'.  I never use the 'Normal' setting.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links