Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx 450h known problems?

Hi, im a forum member already with an sc430, i restore cars for a hobby and handle most issues with the 430 and have a carsoft scanner

im thinking of buying an rx450h and looking at a couple in the 2015-2017 area with 45- 70k miles

are there any things known as troublesome i should be looking for?

a specific hopefully unwarranted worry is hybrid Battery life, how do they last in the real world? Ive viewed a youtube video of hybrid Battery replacement and looks a straightforward process, should i be worried about the Battery?

thanks for any info

Alan, I think you'll find any concerns over the hybrid Battery as completely unfounded...

We bought our 2014 RX450 four years ago, it now has 69,000 on the clock, it has been faultless, nothing has ever been replaced save service items and a new set of tyres and I replaced the 12v Battery three years ago. I believe it still has the original discs on too.  

So, apologies, I can't help more........

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Alanh12 said:

a specific hopefully unwarranted worry is hybrid battery life, how do they last in the real world? Ive viewed a youtube video of hybrid battery replacement and looks a straightforward process, should i be worried about the battery?

If the service history is up to date the Battery will be covered by warranty up to 15-years, a hybrid health check is part of the service or can be undertaken separately.

• Like 1

These cars are among the most reliable on the market and there are few known problems but if they do go wrong expect a big bill. I've had mine for 4 years and the only thing that failed was a door mirror motor, fixed under warranty.Just as well as I saw the bill (£800+)

They have been known to need the water pump changed at around 70-80K and this is a £2K job, but if you have Relax warranty cover, I'm informed it will be covered.

Damp carpets can be due to blocked sunroof drains - not covered on any warranty.

The 12v Battery doesn't like being left for  any length of time without the car being used or it will go flat. They say it needs to be used  in "Ready" mode for an hour  at least every week to keep it charged.

One thing I would say is that they are big and it is difficult to see the sides of the front wings, and the end of the bonnet, so a version with the all round camera would be worth considering.

A lot of them are getting stolen at the moment so in the short term a steering lock or aftermarket immobiliser would be  a good idea until Lexus come through with the fix  for the security vulnerability - see other  subjects on this forum

Buy carefully and you will love it.

• Like 3

Don't dismiss a late example of the 3rd gen RX, up to 2015/16. I find mine to be very capabale and competent, and I don't believe they suffer with the Canbus theft issue. Apart from the rare SE on 18s, they run 19" wheels which offer greater choice than the 20s fitted to most 4th gen models.

I've had no issues with mine in 4+ years and 47,000 miles. I avoided a model with a sunroof or air suspension. The latter can be an issue on the 3rd gen RX, but they dropped it on the 2016-on model.

• Like 2

I note you restore cars and it may be that you would wish to do your servicing.  If this is the case and in view of the high cost of replacing the traction Battery if ull or in part, you could just have Lexus do a traction Battery test (Somewhere around sixty pounds pa, which will guarantee this Battery for 12 months each time done upto the number of years Lexus state, 10 or 15 I think

I saw a survey once for need for relacing parts.  Lexus/Toyota needed fewer replacement (non service parts) than other makes but when parts were needed Lexus/Toyota were the most expensive.  I think this is generally true although there are sometimes exceptions.

My only criticism of my 3rd Gen car is the poor satnav, otherwise it does all I want.  I did find the transmission needed some getting used to as it seems like clutch slip but I am now OK will it.  Above all I appreciate the comfort it provides. 

Let us know if you take the plunge!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/12/2023 at 12:58 AM, Barry14UK said:

I note you restore cars and it may be that you would wish to do your servicing.  If this is the case and in view of the high cost of replacing the traction battery if ull or in part, you could just have Lexus do a traction battery test (Somewhere around sixty pounds pa, which will guarantee this battery for 12 months each time done upto the number of years Lexus state, 10 or 15 I think

I saw a survey once for need for relacing parts.  Lexus/Toyota needed fewer replacement (non service parts) than other makes but when parts were needed Lexus/Toyota were the most expensive.  I think this is generally true although there are sometimes exceptions.

My only criticism of my 3rd Gen car is the poor satnav, otherwise it does all I want.  I did find the transmission needed some getting used to as it seems like clutch slip but I am now OK will it.  Above all I appreciate the comfort it provides. 

Let us know if you take the plunge!

Satnav is absolutely useless. Surprisingly it was about 5 year out of date even in 2009 when RX3 was released.

On 6/11/2023 at 2:44 PM, Alanh12 said:

specific hopefully unwarranted worry is hybrid battery life, how do they last in the real world? Ive viewed a youtube video of hybrid battery replacement and looks a straightforward process, should i be worried about the battery?

thanks for any info

Toyota hybrid system with Ni-MH batteries is the most reliable part of the car. Battery degrades slowly with mileage. Usually it becomes significantly weakened only after 150-200k miles (depending on whether it is city or motorway miles). I think what matters is Battery charge / discharge cycle count.

Perhaps being stolen by CanBus access should also be considered after this model made it into the top 10 stolen cars list.

I would get an insurance quote before buying as some insurers including Lexus are now refusing cover.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links