Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have it

Kaptkremmin

Well the Lexus was delivered yesterday, one of the first jobs to do is to fit the dash camera I have, looking at the archives it's just like fitting it to the Yaris we have, the same layout, so will use the cig lighter fuse piggy backing, still trying to get to grips with handbrake no handbrake use, park don't use park, hill assist etc, after the sales man left my head was a shed, sat down and thumbed through the the quick guide, cars been sat on the drive all day while I decide where first run will be.

9 hours ago, Kaptkremmin said:

one of the first jobs to do is to fit the dash camera I have, looking at the archives it's just like fitting it to the Yaris we have, the same layout, so will use the cig lighter fuse piggy backing…

Good luck with your new Lexus, Ian.

And full marks for installing a dashcam!  Just one thought: is the cig. lighter fuse controlled by the ignition?  That is, is it live when the ignition is off?

Assuming your dashcam has a ‘stand-by’ mode, it’s much better to wire it to a fuse that is permanently live so that the dashcam is still functional when the car’s parked.

My BlackVue is wired to a live supply via a controller that regulates the supply and ensures that the camera can never drop the Battery voltage below a preset level.  

https://blackvue.co.uk/products/power-magic-pro/

I see no reason why this won’t work with any dashcam - or maybe your own make has something similar.

1 hour ago, Kaptkremmin said:

The nextbase has a shock mode if activated, if car is nudged it turns on and starts recording, that way it doesn't run the battery down and as soon as car is started it records constantly.

Yes indeed, Ian.  Most - if not all - dashcams are impact sensitive.  Most - if not all - are also motion sensitive.  My query was whether powering your NextBase via the accessory socket fuse will work if the fuse is not live when the ignition is off?  If there is a permanently live side to the fuse, then I presume that will piggy-back your power supply.

The NextBase may have a small reserve Battery that will take over if ‘standby mode’ is enabled.  I’m really only familiar with BlackVue, so just querying the NextBase setup.

Accessory socket only live when ignition on, looking at the fuse box under glove box the first blue fuse is an 15amp accessory fuse so piggy backed that, the next base has a Battery back up, When ignition on camera goes live and records while charging and turns off when stopped, if car is knocked camera turns and Battery takes over and camera records, so never running the car Battery down while ignition off. Wasn't to sure how everything came apart so took my time and took about an hour, which if you've done it before should shave that down to 30mins.

• Like 1

I fitted a Nextbase Duo to the Ct when we first bought the car and it's  been trouble free with the exception of in very hot weather the screen sucker would constantly cause it to fall off the screen. They gave me an upgraded replacement which never solved the problem, but eventually I purchased the stick on one that installers for some reason refuse to fit anymore. Eureka no probs for the last 4 years lol!

Mine came with the stick on and the suction pad, but the stick on was a bugger to remove off my other car when I sold it, a new spare pad was also in the box so used that to stick it back, happy days. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links