Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Yet another ISF wanted..!

Hi, new to the forums. I've been flirting with the idea of getting an ISF for a few months. Now actively looking.

I'd consider any colour, and prefer a UK model.

Not a huge amount available on Autotrader or elsewhere. Plus several cars that aren't shifting there.

If you're selling, or know of a good example, do let me know! Cheers.

Hi, newbie like myself I believe that's  three of us on the website currently looking for an isf.

Please don't  pay over the odds or I'll  never be able to afford one..

Good luck with your search, regards john

6 hours ago, JRW said:

Hi, newbie like myself I believe that's  three of us on the website currently looking for an isf.

4 of us currently I know of🙂😂

23 hours ago, JRW said:

Bit of a supply side issue at the moment it seems. Good luck to you too. 

10 hours ago, ubersonic said:

There's 10 on AT, that's 5% of the UK ISF's 😜

True. To be honest, I was thinking more about UK examples only. Because of available history, etc, they seem to be a lot more desirable...

This thread prompted me to also look on AutoTrader, and when the search said '11 cars found' I thought "bah! what are these guys saying on the thread?" - but having looked, you are right, slim pickings despite quite a few being listed...

Some of the ones discussed on the forum recently can be brought up to a high standard with a bit money and effort - the truth is very few will be minty fresh, luckily for buyers the powertrain is to a degree bullet proof providing its hard annual oil changes etc.

From personal experience and speaking to other members id budget for the following:

Cracked manifolds - All will have there day and when I was look nearly all early ones had the tick! 

Radiator - for the money silly not to replace and a coolant refresh will safe guard you from valley plate issues

Discoloured headlights - can be polished out

Leaking shockers/ worn out, some bushes esp the from LCA bushes - transforms the car new shockers and bushes

Transmission oil service - pre-longs the life dont bother arguing sealed for life with me 

Aux belt and tensioner will most likely most likely shot

Water pump - needs changing not expensive easy access front of engine

Although little no cars for sale would have had the above its clearly not that difficult to bring these cars up to standard yes it will cost a little but its worth it in the end!

Hope this helps.

Thanks

My car has done 106k miles. In the last 5k miles it has had new shocks and springs, h&s exhaust, new rad, valley plate leak repair, new brakes all round,  new tyres x4   Id be looking at just under 20k to sell her.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jezpatel said:

My car has done 106k miles. In the last 5k miles it has had new shocks and springs, h&s exhaust, new rad, valley plate leak repair, new brakes all round,  new tyres x4   Id be looking at just under 20k to sell her.

What year is she? 

9 hours ago, Jezpatel said:

Thats a bargain given the work! 

13 hours ago, BTCC_ Racer said:

Some of the ones discussed on the forum recently can be brought up to a high standard with a bit money and effort - the truth is very few will be minty fresh, luckily for buyers the powertrain is to a degree bullet proof providing its hard annual oil changes etc.

From personal experience and speaking to other members id budget for the following:

Cracked manifolds - All will have there day and when I was look nearly all early ones had the tick! 

Radiator - for the money silly not to replace and a coolant refresh will safe guard you from valley plate issues

Leaking shockers/ worn out, some bushes esp the from LCA bushes - transforms the car new shockers and bushes

Transmission oil service - pre-longs the life dont bother arguing sealed for life with me 

Although little no cars for sale would have had the above its clearly not that difficult to bring these cars up to standard yes it will cost a little but its worth it in the end!

Hope this helps.

Thanks

13 hours ago, BTCC_ Racer said:

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Hi, thanks for good advice regarding isf issues , problems etc. I think the biggest one for me is the paintwork that is not easily or cheaply corrected unless you know someone  in the trade.   I agree they will all have some problems being older vehicles which generally can be easily fixed at a price .I am just after a clean example that's been looked after, hopefully will find one soon while the weather is nice.

15 hours ago, BTCC_ Racer said:

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Thanks for all the info matey

Something else to mention is that there is a design flaw with one of the cam chain tensioners on the 2UR engine that wasn't corrected until 2016/2017 and so it affects all ISF's.  Basically between 100-200k it will stop working properly until the oil gets up to temp, so for the first few bars. When going to see cars you will notice if they have developed the issue yet as from a cold start you will get a clattering noise every 10-15 seconds that lasts a couple of seconds and sounds like a train going through a track split.

This isn't harmful (or at least there are US owners who have lived with it for 100+ miles and their engine hasn't failed yet), just very annoying, and as it only effects higher mileage (for the UK) ISF's it's very rare to find one that's had the issue fixed as it's very expensive (I believe I was the first in the UK to get the work done).  As I said though it's not caused any failures yet it's just a case of how annoying you find the noise (and the people outside the car informing you of it).

7 hours ago, ubersonic said:

Something else to mention is that there is a design flaw with one of the cam chain tensioners on the 2UR engine that wasn't corrected until 2016/2017 and so it affects all ISF's.  Basically between 100-200k it will stop working properly until the oil gets up to temp, so for the first few bars. When going to see cars you will notice if they have developed the issue yet as from a cold start you will get a clattering noise every 10-15 seconds that lasts a couple of seconds and sounds like a train going through a track split.

This isn't harmful (or at least there are US owners who have lived with it for 100+ miles and their engine hasn't failed yet), just very annoying, and as it only effects higher mileage (for the UK) ISF's it's very rare to find one that's had the issue fixed as it's very expensive (I believe I was the first in the UK to get the work done).  As I said though it's not caused any failures yet it's just a case of how annoying you find the noise (and the people outside the car informing you of it).

Good info 👍🏻 didn't know this.

Sorry I should have been clearer. My one isn't up for sale, I was just posting for reference as to what I'd be after if I ever sold up. Some of the ones that are up for sale now do seem a little overpriced to be honest!

4 hours ago, si-isf said:

What is everyone's general thoughts on imports? Are you considering them in your searches?

Seem to be worth a considerable amount less but people on AT etc still have them up for uk prices? I had a look at JDM cars last night and can import a good low km 2010+ for under 20k🤷 with that though you've got the JDM nav, km Speedo and speed limiter but all can be worked around...

The grey 2008 import in Bradford looks clean from the photos and video. If I were closer to it (4 hour drive from Essex), I'd go have a look, despite ideally wanting a UK car. Their pricing is a little optimistic I feel, even with the low mileage. 

28 minutes ago, Fforfun said:

The grey 2008 import in Bradford looks clean from the photos and video. If I were closer to it (4 hour drive from Essex), I'd go have a look, despite ideally wanting a UK car. Their pricing is a little optimistic I feel, even with the low mileage. 

That one's been up on AT for well over a year...& It's Bradford😂

2 hours ago, Fforfun said:

Interesting, I'm guessing it's been up that long due to the price. Unless there's something not evident from the images...

Have you been down to newhaven yet for the mesa one?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links