Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is there a quicker way to set cruise control?

taxiboy

Each time i switch on the engine, I have to press 5 buttons before I can set cruise control. FIrst the cruise control button, then adjust the distance (3 presses), and finally the set button. Is there a memory feature for say the distance setting so skip 3 presses or something like that? Some cars, allow you to preset the distance, thank you

• Like 1

Why 5 buttons? I press the on/off button and then the set button for the speed, that’s it. It defaults to the greatest distance so unless you want to shorten the distance you don’t need to touch anything else. Unless a 2022 model is different to my 2020 one.

I, too, have exactly the same "problem". Whilst I have radar cruise control it seems "normal" cruise control behaves in exactly the same way, I really cannot tell the difference between the two alternatives.

1 hour ago, Brian R said:

I, too, have exactly the same "problem". Whilst I have radar cruise control it seems "normal" cruise control behaves in exactly the same way, I really cannot tell the difference between the two alternatives.

They will behave the same, theirs no difference, it’s cruise control. All radar controlled does is keep a preset distance between you and the car in front so automatically slowing and speeding up accordingly if required. What difference are you expecting to see?

I understand how the radar cruise control should work and indeed it performs entirely as expected but the so-called normal cruise control works in exactly the same way. Nothing differentiates the two methods. To further explain, when I engage radar cruise control the word "Radar" or some such comes up on screen but on cruise control I simply see the green speedo icon on the dash display. Normally on cruise control I would not expect any form of braking as I approach any car in front but that's exactly what does happen.

It's as if cruise and radar are in reality one and the same thing.

• Confused 1

You only have radar cruise control which is cruise control with the radar controlled distance control, there is no ordinary cruise control 

15 minutes ago, Derant said:

You only have radar cruise control which is cruise control with the radar controlled distance control, there is no ordinary cruise control 

You should also have constant speed control mode which is essentially ordinary cruise control - enabled by holding down the on button for a couple of seconds. Although I'm not sure this is what the OP is after.

8 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

You should also have constant speed control mode which is essentially ordinary cruise control - enabled by holding down the on button for a couple of seconds. Although I'm not sure this is what the OP is after.

Constant speed control is exactly what I want but it seems that whilst it should be possible when selected there is nothing constant about it but simply radar control with a different name.

1 hour ago, Brian R said:

Constant speed control is exactly what I want but it seems that whilst it should be possible when selected there is nothing constant about it but simply radar control with a different name.

It's not something I've wanted to use but I'm sure I tested it in my GS in the past and it works as expected. I'll have to try it out in the wife's UX to see if it is a quirk of the LC/issue with your vehicle, or the system just doesn't work as you found.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

It's not something I've wanted to use but I'm sure I tested it in my GS in the past and it works as expected. I'll have to try it out in the wife's UX to see if it is a quirk of the LC/issue with your vehicle, or the system just doesn't work as you found.

Colin, I'd be very interested in your feedback because I'm not a great fan of radar control, given its propensity to brake/accelerate and be influenced by traffic in close proximity. I had this feature on a hybrid Golf GTE that I was obliged to use for a shortwhile. Whilst the Lexus isn't quite as touchy as the Golf was, I'd rather live without radar and drive on proper cruise.

2 hours ago, Brian R said:

Not quite I think. Please find attached the relevant section of the full user manual. Clearly, there should be a distinction between radar and cruise. As one would expect, radar slows the car down when appropriate, whereas cruise should not.

Radar and cruisel.pdf 1.55 MB · 5 downloads

Your Absolutely Right Brian...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spock66 said:

Presumably the automated emergency braking would still function in the non-radar mode, so you wouldn't rear end an HGV at 70mph.

I don't think so. As it's meant to avoid low speed collisions, it might cut in when you're about 10 feet from the truck, but at 70 mph I don't think it would have much effect! Otherwise it would be acting a bit like a radar cruise control . . . 

7 hours ago, Brian R said:

Not quite I think. Please find attached the relevant section of the full user manual. Clearly, there should be a distinction between radar and cruise. As one would expect, radar slows the car down when appropriate, whereas cruise should not.

Radar and cruisel.pdf 1.55 MB · 7 downloads

Apologies, I was wrong, you learn something every day! I tried ordinary cruise today, it worked as expected, it’s good you can use 1 mph increments but it was no quicker to use than radar and I prefer radar as you still get constant speed if there are no obstructions in front.

2 hours ago, Derant said:

Apologies, I was wrong, you learn something every day! I tried ordinary cruise today, it worked as expected, it’s good you can use 1 mph increments but it was no quicker to use than radar and I prefer radar as you still get constant speed if there are no obstructions in front.

Antony, absolutely no need to apologise and I'm just glad to have if confirmed I haven't misinterpreted the purpose of the two systems.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links