Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS to NX

Hi all,

We are thinking of trading in our 2014 GS 300h Premier for a two to three year old NX. I am having trouble finding a true valuation on line for the GS. It’s done 76000 miles and is in very good condition with full Lexus service history. Also due to it being a Premier we have got used to the luxury and quality and its many comforts and don’t want to rough it too much! I am not sure what the top spec model of NX was two or three years back. There seems to be a nice one at Lexus Hedge End which is a premium plus pack. 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202304226560200?advertising-location=at_cars&atmobcid=soc5&fromsra&include-delivery-option=on&make=Lexus&model=NX 300h&sort=relevance

Is this likely to give us the comfort and kit we have become accustomed to? And is it a good price?

I love the colour and interior combination as it is what our GS has. Any help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

Top spec is always the Takumi, although you can get more tech in an F-Sport with Takumi spec.

My guess is the Takumi will be more 'luxurious' with softer seats and suspension.

You need to get out in one or two examples because I think you might find it difficult to equal the comfort/ride quality of the GS

• Like 1

Thanks. Before Lexus went to takumi was the premier the top of the range NX?

I fear you may be right about the comfort. The GS is superb and it will be greatly missed. 

23 minutes ago, Ala Larj said:

Thanks. Before Lexus went to takumi was the premier the top of the range NX?

I fear you may be right about the comfort. The GS is superb and it will be greatly missed. 

Yes, but for the year you looking at the Premier no longer existed and was already replaced by Takumi.

As for the "comfort" it is hard to say, because it is subjective thing. I consider GS more comfortable, but that is because I value flat cornering and road holding, I just don't like when car leans in the corner and not only because of driving dynamic (i.e. handling), but as well because I find it "uncomfortable" and likewise it could make some passengers sick. And that is why I hate SUVs overall - I find them all uncomfortable and that is kind of inherent considering high centre of gravity. Now sure - many new SUVs have suspensions that deals with it quite well, but comparing like for like car will always be better than SUV in that regard. That said NX will have more suspension travel, thicker tyres and overall softer ride, let's say if you going over rough surface or speedbumps, it probably will be more comfortable. Although again is very personal thing - I prefer less soft suspension that settle quickly (like you would have on GS), rather than softer suspension that "waves" little bit longer. At the same time there are people with opposite opinion - they prefer softer car, which leans and waves more, but transfers less of small movements into the cabin and they may find NX more comfortable. So I would not say either one is necessary more comfortable, they are just different, GS is comfortable car, NX is comfortable SUV.

Finally, there is factor of "perceived comfort" - GS uses better materials, is better put together car and it is higher class car than NX, so perceive comfort will be higher, because quality is better inside, sound insulation is as well better. But that is not to say NX feels cheap (like for example ES does), NX is very decent for what it is, just not as good as GS. If you really looking for similar quality as GS, then you need to be looking at RX. I would say NX would be more comparable to what you would get in RC/IS, maybe slightly better, but closer to them than it is to GS. And by the way that was reflected in the price as well - GS was always more expensive car than NX.

Thanks for your input Linas. I think you are right about the subjectivity of ‘comfort’. I am well out of my boy racer years and love the relaxed comfort of the GS and cannot think of a better car to replace it. I’m still toying with the idea of keeping it. However, our other trusty steed, a 2008 Honda Jazz, has finally decided to stop playing ball and is destined for the scrap yard.

I retired five years ago and my wife works from home most of the time with occasional visits to her office, two hours away, and site visits around the country. The GS is perfect for these trips and occasional social weekends away, whilst the Jazz was perfect for shopping trips, trips to the dump and other short journeys as required. But we’re finding it difficult now to justify having two cars with the extra costs of tax, insurance, mots etc hence the thought of replacing the GS  

I think you’re correct about an RX being a better replacement for the GS than an NX. We live in the sticks surrounded by narrow lanes so need a smaller car which can be comfortably used for the occasional long journeys as well as daily use. This is the thinking behind trading in for an NX. 

In the end of the day it is not a bad idea, as long as you come to terms and accept that NX will not be as well built as GS... but car ownership is always a compromise... so perhaps slightly lower "perceived comfort", but more practical car will be better. And again, if you driving on poorer roads and don't take corners at speed, then perhaps the type of comfort the NX offers is just what you need.

I am not trying to argue neither for, nor against NX... I personally know that if I had to choose, then my choice would be GS, because I just generally don't like SUVs, but that does not mean there is anything wrong with NX or that step down from GS is significant... actually it is quite small. The difference is more just inherent to the types of car they are.

I guess the other angle to look at - GS is much better car for long trips, better fuel economy on motorway, but NX is much more practical with folding seats and big boot. I know I am just complicating the choice now, but that is kind of the point NX is not better than GS, GS is not better than NX, they are just quite different. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links