Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Check Insurance Details

Julncamp54

My insurance renewal is up for renewal again so as you do I decided to hunt around for a decent quote. A few companies I tried were 20- 30% higher than last year. So I decided to try Adrian Flux as linked through this site. The customer service lady was very helpful and gave me a quote which was  less than last year. Great  I thought and waited for the schedule and policy docs to arrive.

On reading the schedule carefully I discovered that “  theft” was only covered if a vehicle tracker with subscription was fitted. Strange ? Hadn’t come across this before. So I checked my current insurance and lo and behold in the tiny print of terms and conditions of the policy again tracker with subscription would have to have been fitted to claim for theft.

Next stage was to investigate trackers. Because Lexus link doesn’t count as an insurance approved  tracker system??.  To cut a long story short  subscription trackers of CAT 5 level are pricey, and I was quoted £500 plus for the unit fitted and approx £150 yearly subscription cost .   Crikey! I’m well aware of the advantages of this type of tracker but at  this cost   no thanks ….. so I queried this with the nice lady from Adrian Flux  and she kindly directed me to a unit called a Nano tracker  for about £90  one off cost which they approve and this  would cover me if some scroat   tries to steal my ES.

So just as a heads up as I know we all do read the small print on the insurances docs  and policies to make sure you’re covered for theft.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Julncamp54 said:

My insurance renewal is up for renewal again so as you do I decided to hunt around for a decent quote. A few companies I tried were 20- 30% higher than last year. So I decided to try Adrian Flux as linked through this site. The customer service lady was very helpful and gave me a quote which was  less than last year. Great  I thought and waited for the schedule and policy docs to arrive.

On reading the schedule carefully I discovered that “  theft” was only covered if a vehicle tracker with subscription was fitted. Strange ? Hadn’t come across this before. So I checked my current insurance and lo and behold in the tiny print of terms and conditions of the policy again tracker with subscription would have to have been fitted to claim for theft.

Next stage was to investigate trackers. Because Lexus link doesn’t count as an insurance approved  tracker system??.  To cut a long story short  subscription trackers of CAT 5 level are pricey, and I was quoted £500 plus for the unit fitted and approx £150 yearly subscription cost .   Crikey! I’m well aware of the advantages of this type of tracker but at  this cost   no thanks ….. so I queried this with the nice lady from Adrian Flux  and she kindly directed me to a unit called a Nano tracker  for about £90  one off cost which they approve and this  would cover me if some scroat   tries to steal my ES.

So just as a heads up as I know we all do read the small print on the insurances docs  and policies to make sure you’re covered for theft.

Does the one they directed you to work off VHF or GPS and would you have a link to it please?

2 hours ago, Julncamp54 said:

Next stage was to investigate trackers. Because Lexus link doesn’t count as an insurance approved  tracker system??.  

Lexus Link has never been an insurance approved tracking system, its easily bypassed. 

Some insurance companies are now refusing to recognise the factory fit Thatcham approved trackers especially on Range / Land Rover products plus Mercedes products & insist on an aftermarket Thatcham approved tracker to be fitted before covering the vehicle for theft. 

Factory fitted tracking systems are pretty easy to defeat as there all fitted in the same place as the vehicle trundles down the production line. 

Or some insurers have this get out of jail free card included in the loss/damage exclusions section:

"Loss of or damage caused by the unauthorised, and/or malicious access to computer
system(s) or electronic components and systems, resulting in any reprogramming
of software, introduction of malware, codes or viruses with the intention or effect to
cause such systems to stop, fail or function otherwise than is intended by the Vehicle
Manufacturer
."

which is ridiculous. But, there's no way for them to prove it once the car is gone and remains unrecovered. That is unless you hand them CCTV coverage of the theft, or the car is recovered and the CANBUS attack is confirmed. From my reading looks like the won't pay out for repair or replacement if the car is stolen by the CANBUS method. Someone please correct me.

• 2 weeks later...

What is wrong with using the My Lexus App to locate your vehicle?   It identifies where the car is at all times and never turns off.     It obviously must use the in built GPS in the car's software just like a mobile phone can be located.  Or am I missing something?

An Insurers insistence a car is fitted with a tracking device seems un necessary.  

If it's a standard manufacturer fitted item, then it's easier to disable, as everything is always in the same place, and accessible for service.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links