Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Discs & Brake pads - OEM or?

Hi all,

Coming up to the time I've got to get these replaced (2014, 76k and still on originals).

Wondered if there's any point in getting OEM (c.£370 for pads and discs) or looking at other branded discs / pads? what do ya'll do?

29 minutes ago, Jose DS said:

Hi all,

Coming up to the time I've got to get these replaced (2014, 76k and still on originals).

Wondered if there's any point in getting OEM (c.£370 for pads and discs) or looking at other branded discs / pads? what do ya'll do?

I went OEM (fitted by Lexus - can't remember exactly what I paid but I remember it was reasonable IMHO) for my front discs and pads at 80k miles - rears are still original at 134k miles.

Just had mine done at 73k miles by Toyota. Lexus were just over £800 for discs and pad all round, but then it also meant a 70 mile round trip. Toyota were 5 mins away and the same dealer group (vantage) they charged £625 and were done in a morning. They fitted Jurid which I believe are OE on some bmw so seem ok. They have been ok in the short time I’ve had them but getting my wheels refurbished  so don’t have my car at the moment, so will know more when I get it back

15 minutes ago, Bob99 said:

Just had mine done at 73k miles by Toyota. Lexus were just over £800 for discs and pad all round, but then it also meant a 70 mile round trip. Toyota were 5 mins away and the same dealer group (vantage) they charged £625 and were done in a morning. They fitted Jurid which I believe are OE on some bmw so seem ok. They have been ok in the short time I’ve had them but getting my wheels refurbished  so don’t have my car at the moment, so will know more when I get it back

You needed rear discs and pads at only 73k miles - was that due to an issue with sticking calipers or something? My rears have done 134k miles now without changing and still have plenty of pad left. They will probably end up being replaced at some time in the future well before the pads wear out due to disc corrosion.

8 minutes ago, Bob99 said:

Discs more than pads. Discs were heavily lipped and looked pretty poor

OK - interesting - my front discs were well lipped when I had them changed at 80k miles but the rear discs at 134k miles are only slightly lipped, however the rear discs now have some pitting/corrosion that may at some point become the reason to change them before the pads wear out.

I used to work in a car parts business 10 years ago. Back then it was fine enough brembo, Zimmermann, Ate, Textar, Pagid, Jurid (if we are not talking about sport performance stuff). But again, back then there a was reason to go for these brands because they were more than half cheaper than OE, sometimes one third of OE price. I haven't look for prices nowadays, but if there would be price difference just of 20-30%, I would go for OE.

I've always gone with OEM even when I did mines last year.  I like the OEM disk at least the rear cause the centre hub comes painted from factory and looks smarter long term, I've had Bosch disc in the past and they rusted in no time making them unsightly. I have also used brembo pads in the past too. Go with whatever you prefer/can afford.

• Like 1

The one time I had non-OEM (can't remember what brand they were) fitted by Jemca on my Ls400 they were very noisy (squealed, squeaked) throughout their life.  To be fair Jemca gave me the choice and let me know that they would be noisy but how noisy could they be, I thought.  Suffice to say I will not be repeating that experience although functionally they were ok .

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links