Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Screen out cold (or warm...)

e-yes

Hi,

Has this happened with someone before ?

The central screen won't come on any more. The initial thing that happened was it showed that "Starting..." message but never started and then after about 10 minutes completely died. Dead screen !

However after another 10 minutes it showed the Lexus Animation, and then the LEXUS in silver fonts over a blue screen... I thought just a glitch... but then it just remained stuck there and was pulsating Red outline around the LEXUS text for a few seconds. And then back again to dead screen.

Radio and Bluetooth don't work. When I connect my Iphone to the USB socket it doesn't charge as well. Seems like a major fault to me.

Still under warranty and will have to chase up Lexus on this. Just wanted to check if this has happened with someone before ?

--E

15 hours ago, e-yes said:

Hi,

Has this happened with someone before ?

The central screen won't come on any more. The initial thing that happened was it showed that "Starting..." message but never started and then after about 10 minutes completely died. Dead screen !

However after another 10 minutes it showed the Lexus Animation, and then the LEXUS in silver fonts over a blue screen... I thought just a glitch... but then it just remained stuck there and was pulsating Red outline around the LEXUS text for a few seconds. And then back again to dead screen.

Radio and Bluetooth don't work. When I connect my iPhone to the USB socket it doesn't charge as well. Seems like a major fault to me.

Still under warranty and will have to chase up Lexus on this. Just wanted to check if this has happened with someone before ?

--E

Sounds very poorly, hope they can fix or reset it successfully for you, 

7 hours ago, Tonyw said:

Sounds very poorly, hope they can fix or reset it successfully for you, 

It is quite strange and not sure if it is isolated just to the head unit or precursor to a bigger issue. 

A few weeks ago I noticed when I turned the ignition on the steering wheel did not move back into the set position. 

Turned the car off and on again and then the memory position was recalled. 

But after that when I connected my Iphone the phone seemed to have gone into a loop where it was connecting/disconnecting rapidly. 

Turned the car off and on again and that problem went away. 

Then yesterday it went as I described. 

Today however, on a rather long journey. The screen came on. I connected the phone and CarPlay started working. However it went into a loop now ie CarPlay worked/froze and screen restarted several times. 

Then it went into the mode where it showed “Starting…” and looped between that and dead screen several times. And then finally went dead entirely for the rest of the journey. 

Will setup an appointment and see how it goes. 

— E

Sounds like it may be iphone/carplay specific. Did yours come from factory with carplay, or was it one of those lexus add on kits later?

13 minutes ago, peniole said:

Sounds like it may be iphone/carplay specific. Did yours come from factory with carplay, or was it one of those lexus add on kits later?

Maybe that is the case. The car came with CarPlay from factory. It is a 2020 manufacture (I took delivery in January 2021 thus is 70 reg)

But yesterday when it happened the phone was not connected. I took a video of it... it quite resembles a "glitch in the matrix". Today a similar Red smearing was happening but that was when I clicked on the "Continue" button after the start up animation finishes and a disclaimer is displayed. (But this time the phone was connected to the CarPlay USB socket)

The video from yesterday is attached...

I'm not seeing the video unfortunately. Anyone else see it?

In any case, first I've heard of this one. Even checked the US forums. Lots of IS Battery change dead screen threads, but no ES.

6 hours ago, peniole said:

I'm not seeing the video unfortunately. Anyone else see it?

In any case, first I've heard of this one. Even checked the US forums. Lots of IS battery change dead screen threads, but no ES.

Works for me. That's the first I've seen of such an issue too.

EDIT: Betsy's an Android Girl so she's probably safe 🙂

This matches my experience to an extent. Cannot use the infotainment, not even Radio. Reversing camera works. But the restart loop is not mentioned in this article.

https://www.consumerreports.org/lexus/what-to-do-if-your-lexus-infotainment-system-crashed/

Not sure if CarPlay caused it or an OTA Software Update.

44 minutes ago, peniole said:

Have you allowed OTA map and other updates on your system? It's off by default.

Not quite sure if I changed any settings other than connectivity. And not possible to find out now as the screen doesn’t turn on at all. 

Just been on the phone with Lexus Reading, the earliest they can take a look is in August. And if it is not a manufacturer’s fault then I will be charged £102.00 for the investigation.

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get an earlier appointment at Lexus Twickenham (where I bought the car from).

They kept the car overnight for the diagnostics.

So far they have agreed that it is going to be fixed under warranty. However the part that needs to be replaced costs £8000 !!!

Keeping that in view they will have to engage Lexus GB before the repair is carried out. Seems like it is not going to be a quick turn around on this one 😕 

At least it is not like the experience I had with Audi who tried fix a dashboard rattle with adhesive felt tape.

--E

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, e-yes said:

So far they have agreed that it is going to be fixed under warranty. However the part that needs to be replaced costs £8000 !!!

Holy S***!!

Thank goodness it's a warranty item.

9 hours ago, peniole said:

That's an incredible sum! What, are they replacing the whole dashboard?!

I don't think the entire dashboard needs replacing. The main dashboard screen which displays speed, fuel consumption works perfectly.

The reversing camera works as well in the central display.

From what I gathered they do still need to replace the central display. But not sure if that display costs over 20% of the purchase price of the car. Considering Bill of Materials, £8000 should be even larger proportion.

I was told during diagnostics they had to go "quite deep" and remove several wiring looms.

Only guessing here but besides the central screen, some other part must also be replaced for that much money.

My worry now is that after having such a critical part removed along with all the wiring etc, will it continue to work reliably after replacement ?

Although when I drove the car back home all other functionality was intact even after all those wiring looms disconnected and reconnected and parts put back. Did try to force the car into AEB as well and that worked too.. so the Computer Vision based obstacle detection functionality is intact (maybe that is on a dedicated loop different from the one they took apart)

Right now just waiting for them to inform me of the next steps and the expected time frames.

--E

Interesting development actually. Got a call from Lexus Twickenham and was told they need the car for a couple of days as Lexus GB are going to try a software re-install before attempting to replace the part.

Personally, I think that is a better way to go if software reinstall can fix the issue. I am quite antsy about the idea of having a part that costs over 20% the purchase price replaced... in case it doesn't work reliably.

Fingers crossed...

--E

• Like 1

14 hours ago, e-yes said:

Interesting development actually. Got a call from Lexus Twickenham and was told they need the car for a couple of days as Lexus GB are going to try a software re-install before attempting to replace the part.

Personally, I think that is a better way to go if software reinstall can fix the issue. I am quite antsy about the idea of having a part that costs over 20% the purchase price replaced... in case it doesn't work reliably.

Fingers crossed...

--E

This does sound more encouraging.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

So, the extended diagnostics and software reinstall didn't work and Lexus ended up replacing the parts finally !

I wasn't given any paperwork but I did see the parts bill on their computer screen and indeed the total was upwards of £7000, but excellent support by Lexus Twickenham in the case.

Was given a courtesy car, which was not an ES but rather a UX F-Sport, but happy to report that even the UX has that Lexus "special sauce" ie it doesn't drive/feel like a cheap car. Compare that to the warranty experience I had with Audi, I was given an Audi A1 with a manual transmission... and it 100% felt way cheaper than the A6 I had. And then the warranty work was to try and fix rattles using felt tape !

--E

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e-yes said:

So, the extended diagnostics and software reinstall didn't work and Lexus ended up replacing the parts finally !

I wasn't given any paperwork but I did see the parts bill on their computer screen and indeed the total was upwards of £7000, but excellent support by Lexus Twickenham in the case.

Was given a courtesy car, which was not an ES but rather a UX F-Sport, but happy to report that even the UX has that Lexus "special sauce" ie it doesn't drive/feel like a cheap car. Compare that to the warranty experience I had with Audi, I was given an Audi A1 with a manual transmission... and it 100% felt way cheaper than the A6 I had. And then the warranty work was to try and fix rattles using felt tape !

--E

I'm pleased to hear it's all sorted. Thank goodness for warranties eh!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

I'm pleased to hear it's all sorted. Thank goodness for warranties eh!

I think it is down to Lexus willing to handle it under warranty and I think some of the credit also goes to the dealership for the support.

I have had bad experience with VW group twice.

First time on an approved used VW Polo we had which was still under warranty but the dealership refused to even take a look saying that the parking sensors were after market and they will not be fixed under warranty and the salesperson who had sold us the car was no longer working with them. 

The next time was with the Audi A6.

This is how credibility is gained or lost. Will I ever think of buying another brand ? Probably not.

—E

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links