Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just bought a 2010 rx450h can I disable the active key fob s

Just bought my first lexu.

I immediately made and tested a Faraday box for the keys and ordered Faraday wallets, can I turn off the active signal from my key fobs.

Also I would like to fit an immobiliser or am I better off trying to prevent access to cables under the wheel arches.

No, you can't turn off the fobs. If I remember correctly that was 2015 onwards, ie, Gen4.

Prevention is better than cure so I use a Stoplok Pro Elite steering wheel lock on mine, in the hope that they'll see it and move on to an easier target - the immobiliser would only come into play when they're already in your pride and joy. Having said that, I'm going to have a Pandora system fitted to mine; the problem is deciding which one.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Prevention is better than cure so I use a Stoplok Pro Elite steering wheel lock on mine............

Any reason why you went for that one Herbs, rather than one of the full cover types? Price is somewhat in their favour, and it would be easier to store when out of use.

3 hours ago, Mark rx450h said:

Also I would like to fit an immobiliser or am I better off trying to prevent access to cables under the wheel arches.

I stand to be corrected, but I'm not sure if we have the same issue on the 3rd generation models i.e. 2009-15.

I have bought the full wheel cover disklok is tricky getting it off with the key so without it would be a right pain.

I will look at what's available for protecting the wires behind the wheel arch cover.

Mark

1 hour ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Any reason why you went for that one Herbs, rather than one of the full cover types? Price is somewhat in their favour, and it would be easier to store when out of use.

Firstly, in various tests and reviews it took more than 5 minutes to defeat, and that's going at it with hammers, chisels and saws.

Secondly, just ease of use. It's far easier to use and store than the full disk-cover types; when I take it off I just plonk it on the floor behind my seat. Oh, and it doesn't damage the steering wheel either. I've seen some people say that the disk-lok is a tight fit so it could cause some damage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Firstly, in various tests and reviews it took more than 5 minutes to defeat, and that's going at it with hammers, chisels and saws.

Secondly, just ease of use. It's far easier to use and store than the full disk-cover types; when I take it off I just plonk it on the floor behind my seat. Oh, and it doesn't damage the steering wheel either. I've seen some people say that the disk-lok is a tight fit so it could cause some damage.

Thanks Herbs, decision made.

• Like 1

Well that's good beets me why they do things the way they do. If I was on the design team I would even build a cat guard in from the factory. Disklok, key pouches plus a box and wedged in with 2 other cars. What more can one do.

1 hour ago, Mark rx450h said:

What more can one do.

Having an older car is probably your best defence, professional thieves will be much less interested than in a £100k Range Rover.

• 1 month later...

On my 2009 RX450H I disabled keyless entry through the steering wheel controls.  If you can bear using the key fob buttons to lock and unlock the car then it seemed like the best option to me.  You have to hold the key fob right up against the Power button on the dash in order to start the car too.  It won't work from your pocket.  

On 7/9/2023 at 12:01 PM, Herbie said:

No, you can't turn off the fobs. If I remember correctly that was 2015 onwards, ie, Gen4.

Prevention is better than cure so I use a Stoplok Pro Elite steering wheel lock on mine, in the hope that they'll see it and move on to an easier target - the immobiliser would only come into play when they're already in your pride and joy. Having said that, I'm going to have a Pandora system fitted to mine; the problem is deciding which one.

Pandora Mini BT v4 seems to be a good cost effective option. Immobiliser and alarm. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 12:01 PM, Herbie said:

Also is the Stoplok better than Milenco  HS (high security)? Anyone did any research, thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links