Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS300h models and specs 2013-2019

3 minutes ago, Ahsan123 said:

The only issue is that as its newer and quite expensive when comparing like with like with IS (year and mileage), I might have to consider a higher mileage ES300h. I came across a 2019 model with 140k miles but as the warranty on hybrid battery is only covered till 150k I am getting confuse whether I should consider it or not? Its only 4 years old with one owner and full service history and a newer hybrid system means it should have plenty of life still left (but not covered by Lexus). Any thoughts are welcome. 

The hybrid Battery is covered until the car is 15 years old but for unlimited mileage so long as the hybrid health check is done on schedule by a Lexus dealer every 12 months / 10k miles (whichever comes first, could be during a service when it is free with the service or if you get it serviced at an indy by paying for the hybrid health check to be done by Lexus separately).

At 140k miles though there will be no Relax (free) extended warranty at each service and also the 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty can only be purchased until the car is 15 years / 150k miles old. However, if the car is purchased through a Lexus dealer then it should come with a comprehensive one year used car warranty which gives some peace of mind.

However, unless it's been used as a taxi (which would probably be a lot of stop/start town driving), a 2019 car with 140k miles would probably have spent most of it's life up and down motorways being very unstressed. If it has a full Lexus service history then even at that high mileage the car probably has a lot of life left in it - possibly more than a similar car that has done half those miles but all around town for example. Lexus and Toyota cars (including many hybrid) still going strong after covering 200k/300k unstressed miles are not unusual. It's really a price vs risk calculation then.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ahsan123 said:

If ES300h gives approximately similar fuel economy due to its drivetrain and newer version of hybrid system then it is an option I would consider. This is purely because I think you get a lot more comfort, specs and space in ES as compared to IS and of course it looks pretty good.

The only issue is that as its newer and quite expensive when comparing like with like with IS (year and mileage), I might have to consider a higher mileage ES300h. I came across a 2019 model with 140k miles but as the warranty on hybrid battery is only covered till 150k I am getting confuse whether I should consider it or not? Its only 4 years old with one owner and full service history and a newer hybrid system means it should have plenty of life still left (but not covered by Lexus). Any thoughts are welcome. 

I reckon ES get's better fuel economy than IS in any circumstances, but we talking about small difference. As for being more comfortable - in the back yes, for the driver I would not say so. As well IS in my opinion feels much more premium inside than ES, whereas ES is simply bigger particularly in the back (hence I call them perfect taxis and ES owners hates me for this). But obviously comparing 2013 car with 2019 car isn't quite fair - ES will have a lot more toys inside. ES will actually have more toys even compared with 2019 IS, because ES was simply new platform with all new stuff, whereas IS is fundamentally 2013 car with facelift by 2019.

I would personally go for older car with higher spec. mileage isn't really an issue for Lexus as long as it is maintained well, but 140k miles in 4 years is still A LOT. Now if the car has all 14 Lexus services done, then it may be good buy, but in my experience with such high mileage cars that is rarely the case. Remember - annual service is only based on 10k miles service intervals, if one does 40k miles in a year, then car needs 4 services, but this is rarely done. That is before we even consider that 10k miles is already excessive for the service, same cars in Europe gets services every 10k kilometres or 6k miles... and if instead it is done after 12k, 14k, 16k or whatever, then we are talking about cars being driven 2-3 times over the recommended service interval and generally speaking if Lexus ever fails it is because it wasn't serviced properly. And by the way you will find that a lot on very high mileage cars - usually you will see like 2 services per year despite 35k miles driven, and they will say "full Lexus service history with 8 stamps on 4 years car" neglecting to say that they basically have skipped half of required service. 

In short - service on Lexus matters, if there are missing service record then avoid it. High mileage cars in themselves are not a problem, actually they could be very good value for money, because motorway miles wears out cars much less than city driving. I myself bought 2008 IS250 in 2014 (so 6 years old car back then) with 120k miles and it was exceptional condition and lasted me to 200k miles without any major issues, needless to say it had 10 service stamps and was just due for service (so basically 11). But 140k in 3.5 years is a little bit excessive already.

Considering warranties and all that, I think something like 2016-2017 IS300h is sweet sport to buy. If you get one with say 70k miles, then you have probably 3 years of free warranty left until 2026/100k miles. Compare that to getting hypermiled ES and the same cover will cost you £500/year just for warranty. Add saved road tax on top of already much higher purchase price and ES works out significantly more expensive even if it is slightly more economical. That is why I am saying - fuel economy is relatively minor factor considering all other costs, unless you doing a lot of miles yourself.

21 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

IS 300h registered before the 31st March 2017 benefit from £10 per annum VED (I think this is due to go up to £20 per year soon as the alternative fuel car £10 discount is due to be dropped

Yes - and I believe that is extra £10 for F-Sport/Premier, so they have £20 already and going up to £30. Still a lot better than £170/180+£380.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

I used to use the old 95 fuel (mostly supermarket) but when E10 came in I found that hit mpg quite hard so switched to Costco / supermarket E5 which is financially a better buy than E10. 

I just recently noticed that too. I switched from Shell E10 to V-Power and after one full fuell tank it showes me 51 MPG so far. Comparing with previous 43.5 MPG (for about 1.5 years). And this is on Premier with R18's.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 4:24 PM, PaulWhitt20 said:

I have a 2015 Advance (until tomorrow)

Spec includes:

Heated/cooled leather seats - very nice

Satnav - rubbish

Standard radio - the one Linas hates - but is ok for thrash metal!

17inch wheels - reasonable ride quality

Reversing Camera - very useful

Front and rear parking sensors - also very useful

Traditional Dials dash - not LFA style

Split folding rear seat - SE spec does not have folding seats

My Average MPG is about 45 around town, can get it up to 50 on motorways (at 70 mph).

You say your Advance has front & rear parking sensors but unless I am missing something my 2017 Advance doesn’t only rear camera.

Dell

43 minutes ago, Dells said:

You say your Advance has front & rear parking sensors but unless I am missing something my 2017 Advance doesn’t only rear camera.

Dell

The pre facelift had front and rear sensors as well as a static rear camera. Are the sensors disabled. No green light on dash. 

19 minutes ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

The pre facelift had front and rear sensors as well as a static rear camera. Are the sensors disabled. No green light on dash. 

I can’t even see any sensors in the bumpers.

IIRC when I picked up my car in 2016 (though mine was a 2014 model) the pre face-lift Executive had front and rear parking sensors but no reversing camera but the Advance had front parking sensors with reversing camera and an option to add rear parking sensors. I could be wrong as it seems a long time ago now but something sticks in my mind about it. 

If it has rear sensors you would certainly see the four of them in the bumper. 

10 minutes ago, Dells said:

So could my Lexus be a post facelift were they just an option on post facelift, how could I tell ?

Dell

Looking at your pics think you have a face-lift model - or you Google pre and post face-lift and look at the headlights and air intakes either side of the grill you will see the differences. Also if you have square rather than round buttons on the steering wheel you have the face-lift model. 

Upon further reflection against GS300, I think I may be little bit unfair for IS300h when it comes to MPG. Now key things doesn't change - it still does not like speeds above 65MPH, so staying below that speed is best for economy... in contrast with non-hybrid Lexus which seems to prefer 75-85MPH range.

However, I was driving GS300 for few months now and that returns 28-34MPG, leading me to conclusion that I simply didn't give IS300h enough chance to get good MPG due to driving it in heavy traffic both in city and motorway, and when motorway was not too busy I was driving it way faster than it would be wise to state on the public forum. If that is the MPG I achieve on GS300, then IS300h should be able to do 40+ without issues. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links