Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I thought it was a Lexus

Just goes to show the same thing I am banging about for a while now - Toyota moves more and more up-market and Lexus keeps adding smaller and smaller cars into line-up almost becoming just a Toyota trim. And this Venza - well it is clearly a Lexus, even the interior details looks like take out of NX/RX, seat design etc. So it almost seems like Toyota competes with Lexus itself.

Toyota pricing does not make sense, Lexus pricing does not make sense, options in neither cars make sense, there is no longer clear separation between the brands and they basically overlap. Other example would be Toyota Mirai... why Toyota?! Clearly it would be easier to market Lexus with hydrogen cell, because Hydrogen Lexus GS for £60k+ would be considered cheap, if they put it in RX (which by the way shares platform) that would be steal, but Toyota saloon for £60k makes no sense...

My explanation - Lexus failed as a brand worldwide, it sort of works in US, but apart of that Toyota is just as recognisable and just as valued, so whereas in 80s and 90s Toyota had badge issue and needed Lexus to justify the cost... nowadays Toyota no longer has badge issue and Lexus brand is just becoming redundant, so Toyota just doesn't fell the need to keep artificial separation between options... and as soon as MB or BMW owners start buying Toyotas, there will be no Lexus.

Now in principle I don't care, who cares what they are called, but make no mistake - this is not done for consumer benefit. Before you could get cheap and basic Toyota, or little bit more expensive Toyota with Lexus badge which was LOADED. Now the only choice is AVERAGE Toyota for BMW money. 

There’s not many on this Forum likely to be wanting to buy a brand new car …… just having expectation of summat a little different when buying their “ new to them “ Lexus ….. rather than a Toyota 

and what the pricing differential might be in years to come is anybody’s guess 

I’ll be plumping for my Lexus Ls700 Hydrogen steed when that specific fuel is readily and widely available in the UK …… who knows when and indeed if it’s affordable 

I know there’s a new big Toyota Hydrogen saloon in Japan so it’s simply a question of importing one and re-badging her as Lexus Ls700  …… simple eh ! 😳🥵👍

Malc 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links