Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying IS220d for a first is it a good buy?

1 minute ago, Linas.P said:

I did check before saying it and this is the car I found as well. 

Note - this one is likely SE, it is 100% not SE-L (lacks wood trim) and I doubt it is SE-i either (at first I thought so because of sat-nav), but SE-i had Xenon Lights and this one clearly has halogens (lacking washers). So I suspect it is just 2009 model year SE registered in 2010.

That said - your right, it is a proper 2009 FL car, L-Finesse rear lights and indicators on the mirrors.

yeah 100% not SE-L

Interestingly, according to this the gearbox for the IS220d was derived from the LS430:

image.thumb.png.ce74fc097a03a8625e351f9f9ecab0d1.png

Also, it looks like the 200d might have a better gearbox as well.

I seem to recall that the Sport model had a different final drive ratio in the diff as opposed to a different gearbox but I might be wrong about that.

6 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Interestingly, according to this the gearbox for the IS220d was derived from the LS430:

image.thumb.png.ce74fc097a03a8625e351f9f9ecab0d1.png

Also, it looks like the 200d might have a better gearbox as well.

I seem to recall that the Sport model had a different final drive ratio in the diff as opposed to a different gearbox but I might be wrong about that.

It says "rearward driveline", the way I interpret it - that is driveshafts and differential. This would make sense knowing that IS250, shares driveshaft with GS300, which itself shares it with GS430, which I don't know for sure, but would not be wild speculation to say is related to LS430. And if driveshaft on IS220d is the same as IS250, then it would make it related to LS430.

There is certainly nothing in common between gearboxes, based on fact that LS430 was only ever available with automatic gearbox and IS220d with exclusively manual. 

3 hours ago, Linas.P said:

It says "rearward driveline", the way I interpret it - that is driveshafts and differential. This would make sense knowing that IS250, shares driveshaft with GS300, which itself shares it with GS430, which I don't know for sure, but would not be wild speculation to say is related to LS430. And if driveshaft on IS220d is the same as IS250, then it would make it related to LS430.

There is certainly nothing in common between gearboxes, based on fact that LS430 was only ever available with automatic gearbox and IS220d with exclusively manual. 

You are quite right Linas - having re-read it, it does appear to suggest driveline behind the gearbox rather than the gearbox itself.  Silly me!  Especially when you consider what you say about the LS being auto! 🤦‍♂️

I should of got an IS 250 Auto.

Bought a 2006 220d on a wim off eBay.

Loved the comfort, safety, build quality and colour.

Didn't like the gearbox 6 speed lag. Massive turbo lag from the lights. Engine it's biggest letdown and gearbox.

Head gasket went at 187,000 miles after 19 months ownership. Bought it as after 4 years of Lexus history full history thereafter and no advisories and full pass MOT history.

Mine was the basic SE trim.

Stick to my Volvo 940 and Toyota Auris. Would get another Lexus, just pass on the Diesel. Photo the day it went.

James.

Lexus.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2023 at 3:09 PM, Code25 said:

Considering a Lexus IS220d 2007 model with over 100k mileage as a first car. Is this a wise purchase? What are the key factors I should consider and potential issues to look out for with this model?"

I bought a very clean example 2008 IS220d SE back in 2021 with just over 160k on the clocks, it lasted 10k of daily driving over 1 year before it had the fabled head gasket issue. No garages around me wanted to do a HG job, so it was sold and I bought a 06 IS250 SE Manual instead and it's been the best purchase ever since.

Moral of the story, the stories are scary but they are true! I will say though, I miss the low down torque of the diesel but the 4GR makes a wonderful noise that totally makes up for it and I get similar mileage to a tank. 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links