Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LED question - and hello from IS250 Aussie newbie

SteveGee

Hi all

Big hello from down below....

Joined you all - because this Forum looks alive - the Aussie one, not so much. 🤒
Have owned my 2011 IS250 for a grand total of 9 days loving it - but it sure needs some updating!

The H11 Low and HB3 High halogen lamps are just too yellow and dull. Since I am in rural South Australia we do have Kangaroos at night, even in the actual township at times and I like to see as far as possible.

1. Is it a straight plug and play LED swap even in the Projector low beams, without Canbus error codes?
  2. Also - before I go and pull all the bits and pieces apart to get at the lamps - can anyone show me what the LED bases actually look like please? I have seen some LED's with fan bases, some without and want to make sure I buy the right lamp type?

Cheers in advance!

Steve

Hi Steve and welcome to the LOC.

Obviously I’m not sure on the legalities involved in Australia regarding vehicle lighting so I would check before replacing the bulbs.

It may be easier and cheaper just to upgrade the existing bulbs with the “super bright” options offered by many manufacturers.

Fortunately we tend not to have Kangaroo problems here in the UK.

Feel free to post up a few pictures of your new Lexus, a kangaroo in the background would be a bonus 😀

Pretty sure some IS250 owners will also chip in with further advice and suggestions for your lighting.

• Like 2

>>>Obviously I’m not sure on the legalities involved in Australia regarding vehicle lighting so I would check before replacing the bulbs.

Aah Steve - it's quite possibly not 100% legal, but lots of us do it - and add LED light bars in the country also. My mechanic recently hit a big roo and compltely wiped out her car; so we're not too fussed about the legalities. Even the boys in blue tend to disregard any lighting mods. 😁

I was mostly wanting to draw on experience here - since there are so many LED choices, hoped to get a couple of reference of types that had succeeded?

Cheers

Steve

Welcome to the best Lexus forum there is and to is250 ownership Steve. You're now hooked to is250 ownership which can't be bettered. 

As stated above. First try uprated halogen bulbs. They're pretty damn good nowadays. Going down the LED route is much more expensive because you need the ballasts and wiring etc.

Maybe you could convert your front fog light's to spot lights?

• Like 2

On 8/21/2023 at 7:53 AM, SteveGee said:

HB3 High halogen lamps are just too yellow and dull.

Hello Steve.

I too was disappointed with the OEM bulbs on my IS250 so I replaced them with the OSRAM Night Breaker Laser.  We have unlit country lanes here too and they have proved to be considerably superior.  As a bonus, they even scared any kangaroos away.

I’m not sure how they might compare to LED, but they have the distinct advantage that being HB3 fitting they should be a direct replacement.

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/hb3-9005-osram-night-breaker-laser-next-generation.html

This site might also list a similar OSRAM H11 replacement.

I hope this helps.  😊

>>>Going down the LED route is much more expensive because you need the ballasts and wiring etc.

Not so Mr Vlad - all LED's come complete with inline or built in ballasts. I am going to try replacing the High beam with LED's first and see; managed to get a set off amazon for $60 AUD. It may be enough - especially considering I will probably add a light bar for night highways.

But for the projector Low Beam I might ry the Osram Night Breaker Laser - since those are the ones that are most often used.

Cheers all!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all - further to my other LED questions - has anyone swapped out the 5 Watt Halogen Position lamps in the High Beam shell? Really dislike the yellow colour and would like to switch to LED white - but a bit concerned about dazzling oncoming cars; since they're permanently on when headlights are on?

Cheers

Steve

I sit corrected Steve.

Regarding the indicator colour. Best ask you local law inforcement office or your country's equivalent of the MOT. Pointless asking us Brits lol.

Apologies Vlad - it's not the indicator I am referring to - it's the little 5 Watt Halogen lamp inside the High Beam headlight shell, which in my 2011 IS250 sits inside and is on - whenever headlights are on?

In Australia - we would call the Parking Lights, but the book calls them Front Position lights?

I have replaced my position lamps with LEDs. 

I've never had any complaints from oncoming drivers regarding dazzling and because of 5am starts I use the headlights all year round. 

It passed the MOT here in the U.K. 

It looks a lot better with the white position lamps matching the headlight bulbs. 

Hope this helps. From one Steve to another. 🙂

Thanks for the advice Steve - will get to it shortly; I will also replace the HB3 High beam at the same time! Once you've become used to the nice white colour of LED's - Halogens just don't cut it.....

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I bought some LED bulbs for my car. The ones with the fans on the base. Passed the MOT (Altho it needed adjusting to the right levels) super bright and white. No issues with errors or flickering beyond the cheaper chinesium LED sidelights i fitted.  

My bulbs look like these. They do get rather hot. Don't touch the headlight lens after a long night drive.

Bevinsee H7 H4 LED Headlight H11 H1 H3 H8 HB3 9005 HB4 9006 LED Lights for  Car 12V 24V 6000K 8000K H9 H13 880 881 Auto Lamp Bulb - AliExpress

• 4 weeks later...

SteveGee, 

How did you get on with your with your change to LED bulbs? 

I changed to an mot testing station at the end of my road in the UK and was paranoid about my LED dipped beam and position bulbs. 

So was thinking the day before the test of swapping out LEDs for the halogens. I didn't and it sailed through no problems. 

I haven't done my high beams because the dipped LEDs are so good I rarely use them. 

The halogens were dangerous on my daily commute. It's not like you can use them with oncoming traffic. 

I could barely notice the halogens were on whilst driving. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links