Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all

Less than two weeks ownership; and already troubling you all, with two lots of questions.

I used to play music MP3's easily on my 2013 Ford Focus ST via the USB input in the console, no probs. But the Lexus - so far has seen only one of two USB's and not playing (or data shown) - 2nd one doesn't even register on screen as a USB? 🤪

I've seen some conversions using Grom Audio Vline 2 - but it seems costly at around $1100 AUD + install and one really bad UK video review of them where the owner has had 4x replacement Vline 2's and still getting issues?

Just want a low cost reliable way to play hours of music via USB - is it possible?

Steve (from Oz)

Don't think USB media playing is a thing for this model, but mine is a 2005 so it could be different on yours as it's a facelift model.

I personally tried playing music from my phone via a Bluetooth adapter kept in the arm rest and plugged in the aux. It was powered via the USB. something like this & used an L shape USB to USB adaptor to keep everything tidy like this. However, found it didn't quite have the bass/clarity I was looking for. 

So what I'm using now is a Bluetooth adapter that plugs in the back on the stereo and is recognised as a second CD magazine.Also works with steering controls/calls etc. This is what I got. The only thing with this approach is that you need to take the stereo off and could damage the top of the airvent area in the process.

Neither of the above options would show you what track is playing unfortunately.

Otherwise, if you're specifically looking after playing via USB maybe an aux to USB adapter would work? don't think it would show tracks on the screen though.

• Like 2

>>>The USB device needs to be FAT 32 format.

Okay - and thanks - this is the 2nd time I have heard this; but I am confused? I thought FAT32 was for data files and MP3 for music - if I am wrong; how do I record my CD's across to FAT32 onto a USB, compared to using Windows Media Player which I am pretty sure defaults to MP3? 🤒

FAT 32 is an ancient disk formatting standard developed by Microsoft for windows MS DOS.  ( NTFS is the current one )

MP3 is a compressed file format. Chalk and cheese really.

I found the best way to get music onto a USB stick for use in the car was to rip all the stuff to media player from the CD or wherever. Next update everything  ( automatic ). Next RIP it to the  -  pre-formatted Fat 32 -   USB stick and choose the MP3 option within media player itself. 

Worked for me.😉

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SteveGee said:

>>>The USB device needs to be FAT 32 format.

Okay - and thanks - this is the 2nd time I have heard this; but I am confused? I thought FAT32 was for data files and MP3 for music - if I am wrong; how do I record my CD's across to FAT32 onto a USB, compared to using Windows Media Player which I am pretty sure defaults to MP3? 🤒

Don't fully understand this but here's my limited knowledge on this. FAT32 is a way the data is written on the memory stick, not a type of data. In general, the data formats are either NTFS or FAT32 - don't ask me what they mean, I just know they exist 😅. To put it simply it's kind of like what language different systems use to read data.

Watch this video to get an idea of how to format your memory stick for FAT32 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8nj-WtX8V0

FYI when formatting the memory stick it will delete all data on it, so make sure you have a backup if you wish to copy it back on. Once it is formatted to FAT32 you can have the same type of files on it, it won't make a difference to how you go about using the memory stick.

• Like 1

you could think of fat 32 and ntfs as preparing a blank sheet of paper for writing on by drawing lines on it to accept the words in their correct format ( data in this case ). File allocation table -  32 bit- speaks for itself really. NTFS is new technology file system which was developed as a professional ( as opposed to home computing ) networking compatible way of formatting disks for the now redundant windows NT. NT is the base system on which all the new windows operating systems are based on, and even that sits on a DOS structure. We still use DOS to brute force systems into doing as they are told!😡

Nurse! get me meds quick!

• Like 1

I think there is as well limit of how many files the Lexus system will read per folder. So if you have like 700 mp3 files in one folder it may fail to read it, or it may take forever. So ideally you need to put them in separate folders (which I tend to do anyway, to organise music). 

Later IS250 systems with USB definitely plays music from USB, I have used that myself. It has to be FAT32, which to be honest is still standard format for most of flash memory and only recently is becoming limiting factor (FAT 32 can only have maximum partition of 2TB and individual files of 4GB).

So you basically take flash drive, press format - choose FAT32 as the format type, then put the mp3 inside it, ideally no more than 50-100 files per folder.

If I were to upgrade the system, then I would go with whole aftermarket android head unit, can't see the point of putting GROM, paying £500 and still having outdated satnav, unresponsive screen etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, GMB said:

I found the best way to get music onto a USB stick for use in the car was to rip all the stuff to media player from the CD or wherever. Next update everything  ( automatic ). Next RIP it to the  -  pre-formatted Fat 32 -   USB stick and choose the MP3 option within media player itself. 

Worked for me.😉

And me. 🙂

Did exactly this and ripped 100+ CDs via Windows Media Player onto my computer, then bulk transferred the files onto a (FAT32-formatted) USB stick which has been residing in my centre console for years now.

Once transferred, they appear all organised in alphabetical order - by Artist, with album titles and track listings present. It's all done automatically.

You could probably go a step further and create separate folders on the USB drive for each artist, but it's not something I've bothered with.

I already know when I scroll down and see, for example;

- 100th Window

- Blue Lines

- Heligoland

- Mezzanine

- Protection

That I'm in the M section of the alphabet (Massive Attack).

• Like 2

Yeah and thanks guys - I tried this - just this morning.

Formatted my 32 Gb USB - even did slow format rather than quick format. But - transferred just one album off Media Player - yet it still just doesn't see the USB stick?

Hey it's possible I have a faulty line-in off my USB port I suppose? I have ordered a USB to straight Aux pin connector off eBay - to see if that's it, but flyin' blind atm.

Bogdan - if I later buy one of those gadgets you have suggested - is it head unit out - to get at the back of mine to plug it in? I just hate the thought of pulling the dash apart?

There's a few "dark forces" knocking about with USB sticks. I have not tried this on the lexus but sometimes, if it is available, it is best to format the USB stick from the lexus menu and not from windows -if this option is on the menu. Don't even ask why.

I had a sony 64GB usb stick intended for recording films from the TV. Absolutely nothing would get it to work on the TV - not even recognised. But on the PC = no probs. Put a different  usb stick in the telly, formatted it on the telly and bingo! Works a treat.

One thing worth trying is to try it on a different lexus, maybe a friendly dealer will let you give it a go?

• Like 1

I believe 32GB should work on Lexus, but that is probably the absolute maximum that could work. Remember - Lexus infotainment system is really outdated, even by the standard of 2011. I personally tried 16GB I think 4/8GB works fine as well, some 16GB worked, some didn't... I don't think ever tried 32GB so maybe try smaller capacity stick and see if that works first.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SteveGee said:

Yeah and thanks guys - I tried this - just this morning.

Formatted my 32 Gb USB - even did slow format rather than quick format. But - transferred just one album off Media Player - yet it still just doesn't see the USB stick?

Hey it's possible I have a faulty line-in off my USB port I suppose? I have ordered a USB to straight Aux pin connector off eBay - to see if that's it, but flyin' blind atm.

Bogdan - if I later buy one of those gadgets you have suggested - is it head unit out - to get at the back of mine to plug it in? I just hate the thought of pulling the dash apart?

If you go with the second option I shared, yes you'd need to take the stereo out. It's not complicated but just fiddly and need to take care so you don't damage your dashboard around the center vents area.

For the first option you just have everything in your armrest. Assuming you have an aux in port in there. 

It has nothing to do with ML, rather year/model of Head Unit. HDD based Sat-Navs appeared in late 2009 models and then there were few iterations of them in both cars with ML and non-ML. Generally - having USB port means you have HDD based system, but again has nothing to do with car having ML. My IS250 has ML, but it is early model and does not have neither HDD, nor USB port. Head Units were not made by ML, I believe they were made by Panasonic/Pioneer, ML made speakers and amplifiers.

In short - yes, you can store and play MP3 from built in HDD if your Head Unit has one, but ML is not the reason why.

ML does have one special feature, but that is not HDD, rather ML equipped cars were able to read DVDs (i.e. they had DVD changer rather than CD changer) on pre-2009 cars, so there was possibility of playing DVD-Audio, which is slightly better quality than CD or indeed MP3. 

As well as DVD playback, I think the ability to rip CDs onto the head unit might be unique to the ML system.

Both IS250s I've owned have had an HDD-based nav unit, but only the Mark Levinson one in my previous car let me rip CDs onto it. About 20GB of the HDD's capacity is allocated for the purpose, IIRC.

And, to clarify an earlier question. A 32GB USB drive is definitely compatible. At least on a 2011 model it is. I checked the one in my car earlier and that's what size it is.

Yeah guys - my eBay - Aux to USB cable gadget came - plugged the USB in it, and it into the Aux port. It immediately came up showing the Aux tab and said it was playing - but there was NO sound...... 😪

So I think I'll have to go with the Bluetooth Adapter - and use my phone storage as the source for recorded music and see if that does it? Very disappointed - but hey, I guess I will get there somehow, someway....

👁️‍🗨️👁️‍🗨️

Steve

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links