Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My 2020 UX250h F-Sport - My Final Verdict/Conclusion.

Well folks, today is the final full day of owning my 2020 UX250h F Sport. I promised a few months ago that I’d give it an overall review before it was traded in, so here it is!

The upsides?

I still think it looks ‘fresh’ in terms of design. I think Lexus done a decent job with it personally and certainly one of my own favourite designs they’ve come up with for a good number of years. I’m also glad I have an earlier F-Sport without the colour-coded wheelarch mouldings - which make it more distinctive than the colour-coded jobbies you get now - but that’s just down to personal taste. 

My particular example also has the red leather, which I think really suits the car and does a lot to brighten up the inside (as it doesn’t have a sunroof). In a way I’ll miss this as it’s always looked welcoming and made me smile. As soon as I saw it in the showroom, I knew the red leather was going to have to be a non-negotiable part when it come to ‘wants’!

Whilst the ride isn’t perfect thanks to run-flat tyres, it’s actually been softer and more compliant in terms of suspension than the car it replaced (an Audi Q5) which come as a pleasant surprise. If it wasn’t for the ‘skittishness’ of the tyres over bumps, I would have happily given it ‘five stars’ given the size of the car.  It’s still very, very good though. Speaking of comfort, I’ve never had any notable issues with the seats. 

Another impressive feature about the UX is it’s refinement given it’s size, thanks to it’s hybrid system. The only real noise that comes from the car are from the run-flat tyres as the engine is either not running or very quiet! At launch, the press criticised it for it sounding ‘harsh’ up the rev range. All I can assume is that they were using two thirds throttle or more everywhere they went... Basically, driving it like a race-car rather than treating it as a road vehicle on public roads. 

I’ve always been happy with the quality of the radio and speakers. It’s been one of the better cars I’ve had in this respect. Certainly in the top three. The salesperson at the time certainly wasn’t wrong in saying the standard system is decent. It really is. 

Whilst I know the touchpad infotainment system comes under criticism for being a bit fiddly and confusing to use, I was alright with it after a couple of weeks of using it. It’s just what you get used to. Sure, it’s not perfect and there are indeed some bits on it I have to think about where ‘such and such’ a feature is, but overall for the bits I need to use of it, it’s found easily enough. 

The downsides? 

Not that much, I’m pleased to say. Whilst I still very much love the look of the UX inside and out - the interior door panels could do with being a little less ‘plastic’. Especially given it’s premium price. The boot is too small and it’s by far it’s biggest Achillies heel. Right from day one it’s something I’ve not liked (I thought I might just about get away with it - sadly not) and it’s the main reason I’m changing it. It’s fine for just me and going back and forth to work. Unfortunately, whilst that’s what the car is ultimately used for, including the odd day-trip out, there are times where it’s been left wanting if there's been more than two passengers and/or needed for a night/two night trip away. The rear seat has had to be utilised as additional boot space. The rear cabin is a little short on ‘window space’ so I’m told it can feel a bit claustrophobic on longer trips. Personally, I don’t have an issue with it but then again, I don’t think I’ve travelled in the back of it (with my father driving it rather than me) for more than about ten miles!

Would I recommend one to a family? No. I wouldn’t. That boot space really does limit it’s market and I only hope this is significantly improved (certainly in terms of depth, rather than length) for the second generation. If the boot space was about 20% bigger, I would have seriously considered simply replacing my outgoing UX with another one. 

This one is just a minor point, but I was disappointed to find it didn’t have any hydraulic bonnet strut(s) and has to be held up with an old-fashioned stick. I’ve not had to do that on any car I’ve owned for about ten years prior to the UX... 

Finally, whilst it certainly looks like a characterful car, it’s always felt rather ‘soulless’ to drive. There’s nothing wrong with the way it drives - it just lacks unique qualities and sounds I’ve had from other cars in the past. It does feel very much like a Japanese machine. Run flat tyres also make it rather skittish over bumps if you’re not pointing the wheels ‘dead ahead’ too - something that did take me a while to get used to. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, that pretty much wraps up what I’ve felt about the car over the last three and a half years of ownership of my first Lexus. The sun is now setting on it’s time with me. It’s been an ultra-faithful companion and whilst it’s not been my best or favourite overall car I’ve ever had, I do sincerely hope it’ll go to a good second owner who’ll take care of it. It’s given me happy memories. Whoever takes it on will get themselves a thoroughly decent, reliable and well equipped car. I hope it's an insightful look for anyone who is looking to buy one.

• Like 9

On 9/1/2023 at 6:42 PM, Gary H said:

No problem @gdamorini

I've replaced it with an NX350h Takumi, which I collected earlier today. I've not long updated my profile and picture to suit. 

That’s my favourite colour.  Wife won’t entertain it though, she’s got the “green car thing”. 🙄

2 hours ago, Don C said:

That’s my favourite colour.  Wife won’t entertain it though, she’s got the “green car thing”. 🙄

It's the colour I wanted my UX in to start off with and I'm delighted I've finally been able to get it in the NX. A truly stunning colour in the sunlight and it's already had an admiring glance (plus comment) from a passer-by a few days ago. 

I know what your wife means by a 'green car being unlucky' thing! I had two people at work mentioning just that when they found out I'd gone for it. It's not something which bothers me personally. My brother also once owned a green mk4 Fiesta (Jewel Green) and had that for about three years without any problems. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gary H said:

It's the colour I wanted my UX in to start off with and I'm delighted I've finally been able to get it in the NX. A truly stunning colour in the sunlight and it's already had an admiring glance (plus comment) from a passer-by a few days ago. 

I know what your wife means by a 'green car being unlucky' thing! I had two people at work mentioning just that when they found out I'd gone for it. It's not something which bothers me personally. My brother also once owned a green mk4 Fiesta (Jewel Green) and had that for about three years without any problems. 

i have the Terrane Khaki, which is a very striking when the sun is out and even on overcast days still excellent 

69003558_2389704264399786_4763484305995333632_n.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My Sonic Grey Takumi is sitting outside the harbour at Livorno in Italy.  It should have been in Portbury on the 2nd but the Georgia Highway was waiting for passage through the Suez.  Now it’s out of its slot for Livorno 🙄

7 hours ago, fourbanks said:

i have the Terrane Khaki, which is a very striking when the sun is out and even on overcast days still excellent 

👍...and it's a very good colour for hiding the dirt as well 😎

• Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 3:13 PM, fourbanks said:

69003558_2389704264399786_4763484305995333632_n.jpg

That's absolutely lovely indeed and has the same alloys my F-Sport had. On the outside at least, that's exactly how I wanted mine to be.

Unfortunately, I scoffed at the estimated lead time for Terrane Khaki in an F-Sport, which at the time was something like 14 weeks. In the end, I settled on my second choice of colour - F-Sport White, which I agreed to take the showroom model my second-nearest dealer had in the showroom. It had the red leather I wanted (from the Premium Pack), plus the Tech & Safety Pack I was looking at. It was basically everything I wanted - but in white instead! 

The Terrane Khaki colour this time around, on my subsequent NX order, was the non-negotiable part! 😄 I wasn't prepared to miss out on it again! I wasn't too fussed over certain elements of spec - I just wanted Terrane Khaki! 

Again, I really do hope my UX goes to a nice second owner because, like all my cars, it was very well cared for. It's just a shame the boot space wasn't better (deeper) because I still love the overall design of it and I know all that touchpad business mine had has since gone. I'd have ordered another. Probably a Takumi...in Terrane Khaki of course! 😄

Mine was a cancelled order last July. Otherwise, i would have had to wait till February this year 

mine is the 2010 spec at heart, really old-fashioned with the trackpad and CD player, which survived the 2018 upgrade from the higher spec cars in the Lexus range. I also have the old tried and tested Battery pack  Nickel-Metal Hydride Batteries

Paul would that happen to be fallout from that sand from africa/saudi that was getting blown over in jet stream. We had the tour of Britain in our county on Tuesday. Speaking to an old friend he said there are supposed to be some good sunsets due to all this sand getting blown over. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links