Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi, I’m looking for information on what is involved when the work is done by Lexus for the last airbag recall, I’ve searched the web but can’t find any specifics, I know it’s old news by now, but our 2005/6 IS250 had been parked up for a few years due to not being needed ( had a company car ) it is now back on the road again. The mod has been done at a Lexus dealership but they have caused damage to the interior, I need to know what they would have had to do to carry out the work before I go back in to complain. Thanks

They replaced the passenger airbag as it was potentially liable to explode steel shards at the passenger if it was deployed. They would have had to dismantle the glove box area and then some.

It is dash out job, so quite substantial. Everything has to come apart as airbag sits under the dash. At least that is what manual requires. I reckon it would be possible to take it out by just removing glovebox, loosening one side of dash and pulling it down from below. When they did mine, they scratched few things as well and unusually for me I did not complain either. I think it was on the passenger side and I only noticed few days later, so felt it would be difficult to go back days later and tell it was their fault (kind of kicked myself for not inspecting/noticing it when picking-up the car).

That said - sorry to point out the obvious, but complaining about something that was damaged years ago will be quite tricky. And dealer can justifiably say - why haven't you raised that when it was done. 

Not that I am saying you shouldn't raise it, but consider what you do yourself if somebody contacted you about something you did many years ago.

Thanks for the reply, that explains the damage, the work was done last week, today was the first time I’ve used it since they delivered it back, I’ve taken photos of the damage and will be contacting the service manager by e mail asap.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crazy Harry said:

Thanks for the reply, that explains the damage, the work was done last week, today was the first time I’ve used it since they delivered it back, I’ve taken photos of the damage and will be contacting the service manager by e mail asap.

Sorry, then it makes perfect sense!

Damage? Sounds familiar! 😳

My IS250 had the recall done in 2019. The main dealer left the dashboard surface quite uneven in places, which was disappointing. They certainly knew how to give the car a 100,000 point inspection, to drum up a little profit 😏. Anyway, the uneven areas have since developed cracks. I can't be bothered complaining - it's an 18 year old car. Dealers will wriggle and deny....

Thanks for all the replies, I contacted the dealer and sent pictures of the damage, they have acknowledged that they caused it carrying out the recall and are currently in touch with Lexus for a resolution, as they were doing the work on behalf of Lexus and some damage is inevitable on an older vehicle with material degradation. So I’m hopeful of getting it sorted.

HI well done , in my opinion the car should be returned in the same condition after this work as it was when you gave it to lexus ,I hope an acceptable result is reached especially as these dealers are supposed to be top class .In all fairness my recall was carried out by Lexus Bolton and was a first class job and has not presented any problems relating to this work .I had to listen to the usual disbelief that I was capable of DIY maintenance of the car without any main dealer assistance since the 3 year warranty expired .They carried out numerous free checks video inspections etc but could find no problems ,a good result for me including coffee and biscuits FOC

Good luck 

Dave

I’ve had 2 phone calls from the dealer so far, they are still waiting on Lexus to come up with a resolution and are supposedly looking at what they would need to do to sort it, which as far as I’m concerned is a new dashboard assembly. Have to admit though I’m very disappointed that they would return it to me in that condition ( the car was collected from my home and returned 3 days later ) they obviously hoped  that I wouldn’t notice ! I will be having that discussion once it’s resolved.

• 1 month later...

Well, the dash has been replaced with a nice new one 👍 only problem now is the sat nav no longer knows where it is ! It moves the car position etc but the map is about 20 miles away from the actual location, so it’s going back in again 😤 in the mean time, anyone know a possible fix ?

Hi Beamish, makes sense, although their ‘best’ technician ( same one that caused all the damage to the original dashboard 🫣 ) insists it was working after the dash was replaced, the Lexus delivery driver who brought it back to ours says different 😂 so now it’s going back in again in a couple of weeks, earliest they can collect it.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, finally, car back today and everything works, fully valeted and fuel added to cover what has been used taking it backwards and forwards to the dealers. Don’t think it will ever go there again though, how they could have sent it back with the damage in the first place and think that no one would notice is beyond me, if I had done that when I was in the trade the service manager would have kicked my a..e all the way down the road.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links