Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RZ450 e range test at 70mph

Just come across this video from out of spec reviews who do range tests on electric cars. The bottom line is that it is the worse car they have tested for range with only 172miles until the Battery died. There is also another video with a full test and review. The bottom line for that is they wouldn't recommend buying new but in a years time when the price has dropped by at least 20 grand you might be able to pick up a bargain. 

It's huge and not very aerodynamic so its no surprise. If you want efficency then a saloon would be better. It's a shame they're not doing an IS or RS EV. Apart from that its a very nice car. The interior is a nice place to be.

47 minutes ago, John Adams said:

Just come across this video from out of spec reviews who do range tests on electric cars. The bottom line is that it is the worse car they have tested for range with only 172miles until the battery died. There is also another video with a full test and review. The bottom line for that is they wouldn't recommend buying new but in a years time when the price has dropped by at least 20 grand you might be able to pick up a bargain. 

And these are almost pitch perfect conditions. No traffic, no rain, warm weather.

• Sad 1

Drove the RZ earlier this week. Its a great car to drive, extremely comfortable and well finished but the range just isn't good enough for me. If it was in the mid to high 300's I would be interested in purchasing. 

Only other gripe is the lack of a rear wiper!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2023 at 10:44 AM, javadude said:

It's huge and not very aerodynamic so its no surprise. If you want efficency then a saloon would be better. It's a shame they're not doing an IS or RS EV. Apart from that its a very nice car. The interior is a nice place to be.

A Model X is larger, carries more people, and had higher performance motors. We did 160miles in torrential rain yesterday from Leicester to Cardiff and got 2.8 miles per kWh travelling at 70mph when possible in ours which has done 71k miles now and 7 years old soon! 

Even in near perfect test conditions the RZ cannot achieve better than 3 miles per kWh at 70mph. For essentially a brand new EV, the efficiency of the RZ is horrific.

A 2023 Model Y which is similar size to the RZ will hit 4 miles per kWh in perfect conditions nearly twice as efficient as the RZ.

1 hour ago, ganzoom said:

A Model X is larger, carries more people, and had higher performance motors. We did 160miles in torrential rain yesterday from Leicester to Cardiff and got 2.8 miles per kWh travelling at 70mph when possible in ours which has done 71k miles now and 7 years old soon! 

Even in near perfect test conditions the RZ cannot achieve better than 3 miles per kWh at 70mph. For essentially a brand new EV, the efficiency of the RZ is horrific.

A 2023 Model Y which is similar size to the RZ will hit 4 miles per kWh in perfect conditions nearly twice as efficient as the RZ.

Good point. I thought the Y was a bit smaller, certainly the X and Y are more aerodynamic at the front. Excuses aside Lexus do have a way to go. Hopefully their third EV will be better... whatever/whenever that arrives...

2 hours ago, ganzoom said:

The RZ will be hard pushed to get anywhere near 3m/kwh at 70 mph. I tend to drive on the motorways at a steady 60mph to conserve range and the very best I have got was 3m/kwh in ideal conditions. Currently down to 2.8m/kwh with lower temperatures

19 hours ago, John Adams said:

The RZ will be hard pushed to get anywhere near 3m/kwh at 70 mph. I tend to drive on the motorways at a steady 60mph to conserve range and the very best I have got was 3m/kwh in ideal conditions. Currently down to 2.8m/kwh with lower temperatures

Hope you don't need to go on any long trips when it's wet, cold, and windy!! With poor consumption like this the RZ is effective a very very expensive city only car. Sub 3 miles per kWh at 60mph in summer is unbelievable.

How did Toyota/Lexus get it so wrong? For a company that started the whole thing with the Priuis they seem to have forgotten how to innovate 😞

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links