Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus RZ450e not starting - Traction Battery message

Hi

I have just been out to start car - it will not power up. When I press the Power button and depress the brake there is nothing - no lights on the display.  If I continue to hold the Power button I get the message Traction BatteryOutput Turned OFF / Output Turns ON When READY is ON.

The car is fully charged - confirmed in app and on display !!

Any advice

IMG_1819.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

Does it have a 12V battery like the hybrids, maybe that is flat.

I believe it must, otherwise the access systems and computers wouldn't work. If it must be charged or the OP wouldn't be able to get into the car?

59 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

But the OP managed to get into the car, surely not possible if the 12v is flat?

You can still get in the car. It used to happen consistently on the UX 300e where lexus link was on and every 2-3 days even if it was driven the car would unlock and open as normal but wouldnt start because the 12V Battery was flat. 

Nevertheless, looks like its not the issue anyway as the Battery is fully charged in OPs case

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

You can still get in the car. It used to happen consistently on the UX 300e where lexus link was on and every 2-3 days even if it was driven the car would unlock and open as normal but wouldnt start because the 12V Battery was flat. 

Nevertheless, looks like its not the issue anyway as the Battery is fully charged in OPs case

Car unlocks and opens as normal. I have been using it quite intently last couple of days monitoring charge progress. Not entirely sure how the app could cause such a draw on the car. As stated likely not as the Battery is fully charged. I’ll contact dealer in the morning to see what they can do. 

Car unlocks and opens as normal. I have been using it quite intently last couple of days monitoring charge progress. Not entirely sure how the app could cause such a draw on the car. As stated likely not as the Battery is fully charged. I’ll contact dealer in the morning to see what they can do. 

24 minutes ago, ruds said:

Car unlocks and opens as normal. I have been using it quite intently last couple of days monitoring charge progress. Not entirely sure how the app could cause such a draw on the car. As stated likely not as the battery is fully charged. I’ll contact dealer in the morning to see what they can do. 

Best thing to do is call the AA out - they will trailer it to Lexus and they can do the diagnosis. Not sure what could have caused it apart from a corrupt OTA update

Lexus Link on some cars cause the drain because the module on the car never shuts off when it should be doing. 

ruds - my RZ had a flat Battery and the electronic doors wouldn’t open, even with the manual key. AA sorted it using the manual key after a real struggle so that error is nothing to do with a flat Battery, as you say. Then I had a “charging malfunction” message and I found the AA  much more helpful than the dealer - they came and disconnected the 12v Battery to reset the system (Lexus doesn’t give them access via the computer port)  That sorted the error so I could drive and charge using DC only whilst it took 6 weeks to get the AC charging module changed.

I very much doubt this will work but give it a try - the manual has emergency starting of the EV - good luck

IMG_0788.jpeg

25 minutes ago, wivenhoe said:

ruds - my RZ had a flat battery and the electronic doors wouldn’t open, even with the manual key. AA sorted it using the manual key after a real struggle so that error is nothing to do with a flat battery, as you say. Then I had a “charging malfunction” message and I found the AA  much more helpful than the dealer - they came and disconnected the 12v battery to reset the system (Lexus doesn’t give them access via the computer port)  That sorted the error so I could drive and charge using DC only whilst it took 6 weeks to get the AC charging module changed.

I very much doubt this will work but give it a try - the manual has emergency starting of the EV - good luck

IMG_0788.jpeg

Thanks, I'll give this a try.  The AA did disconnect the 12v Battery for about 5 mins or so - in the expectation that this would 'reset', it made not difference.  He couldn't access drag port so could go no further.  I'll give this a try before contacting dealer and feedback.  

11 hours ago, ruds said:

Thanks, I'll give this a try.  The AA did disconnect the 12v battery for about 5 mins or so - in the expectation that this would 'reset', it made not difference.  He couldn't access drag port so could go no further.  I'll give this a try before contacting dealer and feedback.  

Update ** just been out to try @wivenhoe and it worked by holding the key fob up against the power switch. Display comes to life and car powers up and drives.  If I power down and try again with key away from power button I.e. in pocket then it fails to power up. I’ll contact dealer, however thanks. Progress of sort. 

2 hours ago, ruds said:

Update ** just been out to try @wivenhoe and it worked by holding the key fob up against the power switch. Display comes to life and car powers up and drives.  If I power down and try again with key away from power button I.e. in pocket then it fails to power up. I’ll contact dealer, however thanks. Progress of sort. 

In that case sounds like a flat Battery in the key fob. 

The key fobs have a backup secondary Battery for when the main key Battery is low/dead which is where the "push the start button with the fob" thing comes from. Id change it and see if it begins to work again. I have had that once where the car opens up, can recognise the fob is in the vicinity of the car but then doesn't recognise it inside.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

In that case sounds like a flat battery in the key fob. 

The key fobs have a backup secondary battery for when the main key battery is low/dead which is where the "push the start button with the fob" thing comes from. Id change it and see if it begins to work again. I have had that once where the car opens up, can recognise the fob is in the vicinity of the car but then doesn't recognise it inside.

Problem solved !!

a visit to Lexus Leicester this morning has solved the issue. It turns out the issue was caused by ‘Smart Entry’ being enabled. In my menu tinkering at the weekend I must have enabled this.  It switches off the RF transmission of the key fob - incidentally noticed as locking the car was only possible by a press of the fob and not by a door.  Malcom from @LexusLeicester used his menu system prowess and powers of deduction to work this out. Many thanks to all who contributed to the discuss and a huge 🙏🏾👍🏾 to Lexus Leicester. As always with tech - user error to blame 😂😂

• Like 2

12 hours ago, wivenhoe said:

ruds - I think there are only 2 others on here with a RZ. How long have you had yours and what’s your thoughts on it ?

@wivenhoe I have had mine just over a week.   Thoroughly pleased with it !!!  For once real life reflects advertising - the car is amazingly quiet, it is very smooth and so comfortable.  Build quality is typical Lexus. Despite ordering it before officially released, I continued to scour the market for comparisons, other options I had were Polestar2 or 3, and also the Fisker Ocean.  However I decided to stick with Lexus for known quality and customer service.   If I were to pick a fault - it would be the range.  However  knew that it wasn't chart topping so I had set my expectations.  I get about 2.9 out of it with a mix of motorway and urban.  

Overall though very pleased as I said.  There are still very few on the roads, which is nice, I have only ever seen one other.

I must also update my profile !!

There has been a lot of criticism on here, particularly about the range.  I did my research and so wasn’t deeply disappointed about the range, except the loss of range using the ac - we were ‘promised’ an update in Sept which would significantly improve this - nobody now knows when this will be. 
Burning question for me is - can you have the fan on without the ac / heater. I can’t, turning the ac off makes no difference- on a full charge my car shows 220 miles (this is reliable), if I turn the fan on and ac off the range still goes down to about 175 - what does your do ?

• Confused 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links