Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My UX 2022 has be stolen

Owned the car for about 1 year and a half 

Lucky enough I have the tracking app , so the car has been recovered. 

Probably gonna sell the car, it was fun while it lasted.

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Richard1200 said:

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, what’s with the front wheel arch?

Sorry to hear about your experience Leu. 

I’d guess the UX has the same canbus weakness as the RX, LC, NX and others. After less than 30 seconds rooting around the headlight ecu in the wheel arch behind the wheel arch liner your car is gone. The RX has shot into the top ten most stolen cars in the UK within 18 months, the RAV4 (same canbus system) is top of the hotlist in France/Paris and my LC would also be at risk if it wasn’t for the immobiliser I’ve had fitted.

Adding additional security is a matter of urgency, particularly if you live near London or other major cities.

That is probably how they got in. There's damage in that area from them trying to open it. 

The alarm didn't go off and I didn't get a notification from the car app. 

Apart from the body damage. There is also a Hybrid malfunction warning on the instrument cluster and a Sonar error message in the logs. 

Should find out more on Monday when it gets to the dealer.

Police said Range Rover, New Jaguars and Lexus are high on the list of stolen cars  

I got a Stoplock Pro Elite steering wheel lock after seeing this video showing a CANBUS theft of a Lexus done in under three minutes: 

The alternatives include plates fitted under the wheel arches and hidden ignition kill switches. But plates wouldn't prevent keyless relay attacks (although I disable my key fob to stop this) and kill switches wouldn't prevent the damage caused by a failed CANBUS attack. The visibility of the steering wheel is a useful deterrent and, other than the inconvenience, the only downside I can imagine is that it's presence could cause a thief to think there was something valuable inside the car.

The Stoplock steering wheel lock is substantial but somewhat cumbersome. A less substantial alternative might be all that's necessary to encourage thieves to leave your car alone and move on to the next car. NB some steering wheel locks may not fit over the central hump of the UX steering wheel.

Completely agree - immobiliser or canbus protection plate are hidden, so the thief will only realise he can’t use canbus injection after the damage has been done.

Now if Lexus reconfirmed their legendary customer care and issued a recall to fit plates to EVERY SINGLE affected Lexus we wouldn’t have a problem…

• Like 2

@eight I have yet to experience this so-called legendary customer care from Lexus. 

At this point, I am refused a car courtesy car from Lexus. They said it would take at least a week before they assess the damage. 

I didn't add a courtesy car to my insurance because I paid for a breakdown service with Lexus, which offers a car in case of a breakdown etc. I also paid for a service plan which also gave me a car when I went for service. 

Leaving me in limbo, I have no way of taking my kid to school due to our location. 

• Sad 1

I'm sorry to hear about this Leu. One of my worst nightmares, genuinely, is discovering my car has been stolen. My sympathies to you and I'm happy the car has at least been recovered - albeit damaged.

A few weeks ago I was down in Suffolk and had to leave my car for two nights. The hotel I was staying at only has limited parking and the next available parking which doesn't cost a fortune is a good 10/15 minute walk away... Needless to say, thoughts of CANBUS theft and also in my case, alloy wheel theft thanks to no locking bolts, was very much on my mind. Luckily all was fine, but I was apprehensive when I took the walk back to the car. It really isn't something that should bother you as a Lexus owner. Not with the prices you have to pay for the cars. 

It's interesting to know they haven't supplied you with a courtesy car at this stage - that's poor form indeed.

I've discussed at length over the course of this year the lack of customer care I've had from Lexus. I have plenty to say which is for another day/discussion, but my opinion of them at the moment isn't overly complimentary lets just say... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links