Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX350h Takumi Remote Climate Control (temperamental)

I don't particularly use many features in my NX (I'm not entirely sure how half of them work, to be honest...) and nor do I really use the app. However, one feature I have used on the odd occasion, which is on the app, is the remote climate control. Typical of my luck - the one of a few things I like to use turns out to be rather temperamental.

On mine, it only really works when it wants to. It's always very slow to activate in sending the signal to the car, but whilst sometimes it'll work, there's other times when it'll 'swirl and swirl' whilst trying to send the signal to the car and then it'll just fail. 

I can happily live without it, but it would come in handy over the coming winter months. Being the coldest morning since early this year, I wanted to use it this morning before setting out to work and typically - it wasn't wanting to 'play ball' with me today... I tried twice but no luck - and at the time of using it, I'm literally no more than ten feet away from the car sitting in the house. 

The only suggestion I can think of - and it's something I did notice only a couple of hours ago, is that my phone suddenly has a new update on it to download/upload (whatever) and I'm wondering if that may have something to do with it? I don't recall having any outstanding updates on my phone the last time it failed a few weeks ago - but I'm willing to stand corrected on that. 

I was wondering if anyone had any issues with theirs which can relate to this?

IMG_2388 (002).jpg

2 hours ago, Gary H said:

I don't particularly use many features in my NX (I'm not entirely sure how half of them work, to be honest...) and nor do I really use the app. However, one feature I have used on the odd occasion, which is on the app, is the remote climate control. Typical of my luck - the one of a few things I like to use turns out to be rather temperamental.

On mine, it only really works when it wants to. It's always very slow to activate in sending the signal to the car, but whilst sometimes it'll work, there's other times when it'll 'swirl and swirl' whilst trying to send the signal to the car and then it'll just fail. 

I can happily live without it, but it would come in handy over the coming winter months. Being the coldest morning since early this year, I wanted to use it this morning before setting out to work and typically - it wasn't wanting to 'play ball' with me today... I tried twice but no luck - and at the time of using it, I'm literally no more than ten feet away from the car sitting in the house. 

The only suggestion I can think of - and it's something I did notice only a couple of hours ago, is that my phone suddenly has a new update on it to download/upload (whatever) and I'm wondering if that may have something to do with it? I don't recall having any outstanding updates on my phone the last time it failed a few weeks ago - but I'm willing to stand corrected on that. 

I was wondering if anyone had any issues with theirs which can relate to this?

IMG_2388 (002).jpg

Gary,  not sure why your notifications are for a 2021NX , all of mine are for a 2023 NX , and yours is a couple of months newer than mine.  Is the app setup correctly for your car?

I have started using this feature for the last couple of days with the weather being more colder and it works a treat. 
one thing I have noticed that when you put it on there is some message on the screen inside the car with a QR code but cannot read it because as soon as you open the door the message goes off the screen. 
Does anyone know what the message is. 

13 hours ago, Gaazzared said:

I have started using this feature for the last couple of days with the weather being more colder and it works a treat. 
one thing I have noticed that when you put it on there is some message on the screen inside the car with a QR code but cannot read it because as soon as you open the door the message goes off the screen. 

What if you did the whole process whilst sat in the car? That way the message with the QR code should stay on the screen, maybe.

1 minute ago, Andy B said:

What if you did the whole process whilst sat in the car? That way the message with the QR code should stay on the screen, maybe.

Tried that and it wont work with someone in the car. 

• Sad 2

18 hours ago, Gary H said:

Unless the download/upload alert you received was related to the Lexus app itself (or the phone suddenly reboots), this shouldn't have an adverse effect on the app's functionality.

16 hours ago, HMT said:

Gary,  not sure why your notifications are for a 2021NX , all of mine are for a 2023 NX , and yours is a couple of months newer than mine.  Is the app setup correctly for your car?

I have noticed that! It's always assumed the 2021 business to mean 2021 'onwards', but if yours says 2023 it does make me wonder... 

I'm assuming it's set up correctly. It was done by the dealer on collection day - hooking it up to the chassis number e.t.c as we sat in the car. Then again, regulars here will know all too well what my experiences have been with that lot... 

I don't really use the app for anything else but having a 'play around' with it last night, everything else seems to tally up fine - such as the mileage, previous trips taken e.t.c... 

On the positive side - it worked this morning.  Again, there doesn't appear to be any pattern to it that I can pick up on yet. Sometimes it'll work and sometimes it'll just...load and load and load before timing out and failing. 

14 hours ago, Gaazzared said:

I've seen that blue screen and QR code too. I can't quite make out what it says by peering through the windows and indeed, as soon as you go for the door, everything turns off as it should. 

I think it may possibly be the 'terms and conditions' screen. I sometimes get that if I try to drive away too quickly before it's had chance to load my phone. I mentioned it in another thread recently. 

1 hour ago, Andy B said:

Unless the download/upload alert you received was related to the Lexus app itself (or the phone suddenly reboots), this shouldn't have an adverse effect on the app's functionality.

I've not had any updates come through for the app as of yet, so I can defiantly discount that one. All I've had is a typical apple/iPhone update. I sorted that out at home last night and low and behold - the remote climate worked fine this morning. It took an age to connect as it always does on my NX, but did work. 

It's something I'm going to keep an eye on and see if there's a pattern to it. As I said to HMT above, I haven't seen one yet and when I saw that phone update I just put 'two and two' together - probably coming up with five! It's something I'll continue to monitor and see. It's just a bit baffling at the moment. 

6 hours ago, Gary H said:

I have noticed that! It's always assumed the 2021 business to mean 2021 'onwards', but if yours says 2023 it does make me wonder... 

I'm assuming it's set up correctly. It was done by the dealer on collection day - hooking it up to the chassis number e.t.c as we sat in the car. Then again, regulars here will know all too well what my experiences have been with that lot... 

Gary my NX450h MY23 also says the same thing "2021 NG NX PHEV" I expect that is the default label  (2021 was the launch year of the new gen NX) in the app unless the dealership knows/bothers to change it at setup time. I believe you can ask them to change it but I'm not fussed personally.

On 10/17/2023 at 6:12 PM, Hayzee said:

Gary my NX450h MY23 also says the same thing "2021 NG NX PHEV" I expect that is the default label  (2021 was the launch year of the new gen NX) in the app unless the dealership knows/bothers to change it at setup time. I believe you can ask them to change it but I'm not fussed personally.

Thanks for clarifying. It's good to know I'm not the only one! I did assume that's what it's meant and as it was set up by those supposed to be in 'the know' - I just gave them my phone on collection day and left them to it. 

Indeed. I'm not bothered by it either. As I said, the remote climate is quite literally the only thing on the app that I use. The rest of it is just 'garnish' to me...! 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links