Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Boomers 'Epitaph'

Boomer54

Love these Yes PrimeMinister programmes …… Judy Dench and Geoffrey Palmer progs too …… just outstanding, clever and witty …… in their own ways 

Hopes Rishi learnt from those YesPM progs and governs appropriately and avoids the pitfalls fallen into and popped in place by the erstwhile Attorney General 🤣🤩😂

Malc 

• 4 weeks later...

Very best wishes ……. You youngsters eh ! 
S’pose you’ll be telling us next you’ve bought another Lexus and dumping the old Jag ……. or at least now buying a car you can put luggage in to go on holiday with your amazingly  forbearing missus …… what she must ‘ave to put up wiv eh 😂

Best wishes ….. keep well ( and sane ) 

Malc 

Nice wrap-up of what we experienced & done during our lifetime.

Only a few things are missing of what we, as a generation, failed to mitigate which resulted in the current state of our planet.

Like e.g. the climate crisis, the economical crises; the health crisis, extinction of animal life,  and war.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, levensnevel said:

Nice wrap-up of what we experienced & done during our lifetime.

Only a few things are missing of what we, as a generation, failed to mitigate which resulted in the current state of our planet.

Like e.g. the climate crisis, the economical crises; the health crisis, extinction of animal life,  and war.  

Perhaps we shouldn't be too hard on ourselves. Apart from the first item on your list any student of history could reasonably say the rest have been with us since  we first crawled out from our cave. Even a generation that lived through such an age of dynamic change should be modest enough to accept you cannot unravel what is so firmly imprinted onto human DNA. Let's leave future generations something to do.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

Perhaps we shouldn't be too hard on ourselves. Apart from the first item on your list any student of history could reasonably say the rest have been with us since  we first crawled out from our cave. Even a generation that lived through such an age of dynamic change should be modest enough to accept you cannot unravel what is so firmly imprinted onto human DNA. Let's leave future generations something to do.

Iife expectancy did improve a lot since the eighties as did healthcare. Economic growth has lifted millions out of poverty, Animals seem to live on just like they did 45 yrs ago and the overall quality of life, in our part of the world, has never been better. We can travel freely wherever we want and are free to speak our opinion. I am not too pessimistic.

• Like 1

I think “ never having had it so good “. springs to mind ……. I know my forebears, 60/ 80/100 years back  had an incredibly tough life compared to me ……. NHS is sparklingly BRILLIANT looking after all us old codgers who might have kicked the bucket long back had we now been in the 1950s 60s and 70s ……… we just got to remember someone has to pay for it and the 1.25 million staff that help us get better etc 

Jeez I have 4 cars, zero worries about anything really and never stint with the food shopping whatever ……. 
Life’s good, a peach and most around me is in a “ good state “ of play 

Real Poverty in the UK is almost vanished with State Pensions and DWP payouts in all sorts of ways ……  and whilst Foodbanks are with us, it’s sad I know, I’m satisfied that very few fall thru that safety net of compassion and societal help in very many respects 

I'm quietly OPTIMISTIC for our future ……. pessimism doesn’t often feature in my world thankfully 😇

Malc 

• Like 2

Thankfully i have never lived through war which seems exceptional if you look at wider European history. My Parents on the other hand had to live through WW2 and my grandparents through 1 and 2. That seems good progress to me.

• Like 1

Wars are brutal. The Crusades,  Intertribal African wars destroying whole races …… Zulu wars for instance …… Will the Conqueror too ……. or is that too close to home and upset the modern EU oligarchs …… Joan of Arc ……. Boer Wars and then WW 1 and 2 not just affecting euro nations but the devastation caused by WW 1 and 2 in say the Sudan and the slaughter of the India Regiments too …… for European nations per se. 
Genkhis  Khan ……. it’s endless 

we in the UK have a relatively quiet time of it right now methinks  🙏

Malc 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dutchie01 said:

Some in the West are more afraid of a trade war with China Malc. Biden just increased import tariff for Chinese cars to 100%

Quite surprised it’s only 100%

Malc 

13 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

Some in the West are more afraid of a trade war with China Malc. Biden just increased import tariff for Chinese cars to 100%

In my view absolutely the right thing to do. Trade supremacy has been Chinas long term plan and it's worked very well for them. I remember doing a business model project has part of my Quants. In essence to win I priced/scaled the rest out of business. Hardly real life of course, but the underlying concept is the war we have been in with China for decades. We reaped the benefits of low inflation from that of course, but the downside was also massive, but of course harder to see.

In the West we are too naive and continue to look at situations through our western eyes with our values. China has been undermining western economies for decades by undercutting all they supply heavily in price compared to our home production. And we all fall for it. Buy jeans for 9 euros, fake cartridges, cheap toys and so on. It is only now with the EV business that it gets more attention. In the same time we are witnessing european de industrialisation with companies de investing and moving production out of europe. Automotive, chemicals, steel the list is endless.  Remember China is subsidising all export they are fighting a war without guns.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links