Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi everyone,

The 2002 LS is making a whining sound and it's been diagnosed as the rear offside wheel bearing. All that I can find online is aftermarket parts. Called up Lexus dealer and it's £300 for a Toyota branded one. In the past when the other bearings went, they lasted months only. Our mechanic sent them back for new ones although we had to pay the labour all over again so not much help 😌 I believe that they were aftermarket ones (my parents owned the car at the time so I don't recall). 

What do people think- should I just pay £300 for the Toyota one from Lexus dealer (includes hub)? Probably best, isn't it?

Can anyone recommend any good aftermarket ones if that's possible?

Also the front driver side shock is leaking. That will probably be even more expensive from Lexus. Can anyone recommend good aftermarket air shocks? (must be air.) Or again, ought I set my sights (and wallet) on a Toyota branded shock? 

Will get my local garage to fit these things. 

Also, does anyone have a hub cap spare? As the one on the front driver side wheel has come off when driving no doubt.

Thanks for your thoughts guys!

She's such a beauty 😍

P.S; managed to get the nav working with the correct replacement reader. 

20230924_093708.jpg

20231024_195516.jpg

• Like 1

Lexus air shocks were about £900 each 3 years ago so probably more now. Arnott are the only aftermarket ones I know of but because they're made differently you would have to buy a pair.  Lexus offered me a set of 4 genuine ones for £2,800 but again, that was some time ago. I see Rockauto do the Arnott ones for £445 each or FSC (don't know who they are) for £390. You've got tax and shipping on that. In the end you're probably better just to go to Lexus for everything, it'll give you peace of mind 

Well it's not really a Toyota wheel bearing, they dont make them, they just stamp the toyota name on it.

Get an skf bearing from rockauto £300 for a bearing from lexus is daylight robbery, get an skf bearing from rockauto, they are around £70, get delivered to uk within 3 days 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Lexus air shocks were about £900 each 3 years ago so probably more now. Arnott are the only aftermarket ones I know of but because they're made differently you would have to buy a pair.  Lexus offered me a set of 4 genuine ones for £2,800 but again, that was some time ago. I see Rockauto do the Arnott ones for £445 each or FSC (don't know who they are) for £390. You've got tax and shipping on that. In the end you're probably better just to go to Lexus for everything, it'll give you peace of mind 

Tax and shipping is not and it will still be way more cheaper than lexus main dealer

43 minutes ago, messi said:

Well it's not really a Toyota wheel bearing, they dont make them, they just stamp the toyota name on it.

Get an skf bearing from rockauto £300 for a bearing from lexus is daylight robbery, get an skf bearing from rockauto, they are around £70, get delivered to uk within 3 days 

I agree. A little bit of digging often shows that what a main dealer is charging for is the same product available for much less because the label or stamp is different. I recently bought an alternator belt and tensioner, genuine Volvo parts, but the tensioner was stamped Dayco. 

2 hours ago, messi said:

Hi, have you used these bearings before and do they last well? Only concern with aftermarket ones is past experience of them wearing down very fast. Are there any aftermarket shocks that you could recommend?

Cheers. 

5 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Would love to get all Lexus branded parts but will have to err on the side of reasonableness this time round. Do you think it would be worth seeing if a breaker has a shock absorber off a fairly low mileage car? Would be way cheaper but still an original part. Obviously wouldn't last as long as a brand new one but for the reduced cost could make sense? 

19 minutes ago, The Lexus Enthusiast said:

Would love to get all Lexus branded parts but will have to err on the side of reasonableness this time round. Do you think it would be worth seeing if a breaker has a shock absorber off a fairly low mileage car? Would be way cheaper but still an original part. Obviously wouldn't last as long as a brand new one but for the reduced cost could make sense? 

I bought a used air strut for my LS, it cost £200, then another one went.  You may just be chasing your tail with used parts, especially when they take time to replace.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The-Acre said:

I bought a used air strut for my LS, it cost £200, then another one went.  You may just be chasing your tail with used parts, especially when they take time to replace.

Fair enough. My Dad got one from a brakers when a strut went on his LS but they had actually broken it during removal so ended up having to send it back. I think I'd prob be best off getting an aftermarket shock (best that I can find reviews wise) for a lot less money that will at least be brand new. 

31 minutes ago, The Lexus Enthusiast said:

Hi, have you used these bearings before and do they last well? Only concern with aftermarket ones is past experience of them wearing down very fast. Are there any aftermarket shocks that you could recommend?

Cheers. 

Yes I have, remember, toyota/lexus dont make bearing, companies like skf, delphi etc make them, skf are a very good brand

23 minutes ago, The Lexus Enthusiast said:

I'm a stickler for tradition and original feeling of the car🤗, though I can see why someone would consider this. 

Maybe for reliability and certainty for the car’s future AND on-going maintenance costs …….. BUT of course there’s often a perceived need for originality 🤔

Malc 

The shocks, get them from rockauto, way cheaper than lexus and they last a long time, I know of 2 people who have bought them from there, a 3rd actually went for traditional suspension from rockauto on his ls430, he actually likes it

2 minutes ago, messi said:

The shocks, get them from rockauto, way cheaper than lexus and they last a long time, I know of 2 people who have bought them from there, a 3rd actually went for traditional suspension from rockauto on his ls430, he actually likes it

Just had a look on Rockauto but is difficult to find the correct type of shocks. Some say they are for cars without adjustable suspension which obviously won't fit mine right as it has High Hight mode? What sort of cost would u say I'd be looking at for an air suspension strut?

5 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Maybe for reliability and certainty for the car’s future AND on-going maintenance costs …….. BUT of course there’s often a perceived need for originality 🤔

Malc 

Would the ride not feel different and not absorb stuff so well? Apologies if this is an incorrect assumption but that's what I'd imagine from having sedans with coils versus some with air in the past? In my experience anyway, even the softest coils just weren't the same. 

10 minutes ago, messi said:

Many thanks for this mate. Only thing is I need rear offside😉 but have found the ones I need with your guidance. The only SKF one for the rear is £169. Not end of world but more costly than the other brands that fit the rear. Are SKF realistically the only trustworthy ones?

1 hour ago, The Lexus Enthusiast said:

I've no idea who makes these but I would be very suspicious of an air strut claiming to be OE quality when it costs the same as a spring.  If I were you I'd go for the Arnott ones from Rockauto and choose FedEx economy for shipping, that way vat will be included and you'll receive them within the week. Bear in mind the fronts fit either side but the rears are handed. You can go through the Rockauto process and you'll get the total price at checkout but you'll have the option to cancel, that way you'll know the total cost. I would also trust them for wheel bearings.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links