Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lane Centering

On my 2021 UX when new I found the lane centering was on and it vibrated the steering wheel and pulled on the steering slightly. I turned it off and all was good. Now on my 2023 model although it says lane centering in the menu to the left of the speedo I still have a symbol just above the mileage which I can cancel using the steering wheel button. But the next time I turn on the car the symbol is back, still show LTA off on the menu but I am getting an alert through the steering wheel. Any ideas as I would like to solve it myself as it’s probably something simple.

thanks

It’s EU law and I can see if you put a “Safety Feature” in then it should be enabled by default. It also gives the car manufacturers some experience in autonomous driving technology.

Hopefully you will get used to it and it won’t be needed. However when I did my IAM test I was told not to indicate to pull out if no one will benefit. Which may cause the system to complain. 

However I always remember to brake before hitting the back of the car in front. Only very occasionally does the car think it has to remind me to brake and then I have started to move my foot anyway. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

It’s EU law and I can see if you put a “Safety Feature” in then it should be enabled by default. It also gives the car manufacturers some experience in autonomous driving technology.

Hopefully you will get used to it and it won’t be needed. However when I did my IAM test I was told not to indicate to pull out if no one will benefit. Which may cause the system to complain. 

However I always remember to brake before hitting the back of the car in front. Only very occasionally does the car think it has to remind me to brake and then I have started to move my foot anyway. 

It isn’t.  Some cars are switchable between on and off.  There are very few things I personally would switch off and I think there shouldn’t be an option for engine stop because it’s the only way it met type approval but lane departure can be a menace on some roads.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don C said:

It isn’t.  Some cars are switchable between on and off.  There are very few things I personally would switch off and I think there shouldn’t be an option for engine stop because it’s the only way it met type approval but lane departure can be a menace on some roads.  

It became a requirement from 2020, all new models sold after that date must have LKA enabled by default at each restart of the car. The function can only be temporarily disabled by the driver. 

Here's a good read ...

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/eli/reg/2019/2144/oj

I have changed the alert from steering wheel vibrate to the sound? alert, have not been out and tried it yet but will just get into the habit of turning it off on the steering wheel while I am starting off.

My daughter came down earlier and I said to her about it and she said “oh that’s really annoying on my BMW” so I am not alone 😂

• Like 1

I mentioned about LKA in the NX forum late last year. I actually believe that the Lexus system is dangerous if you forget to switch it off when driving on narrow country lanes.

Around where we live there are numerous country lanes which are hardly wide enough for a car and HGV to pass each other and are devoid of the white middle line in sections. The system also ‘looks’ for the near edge of the road and on at least 3 occasions, when I had forgotten to switch LKA off, when manoeuvring towards the edge of the road to allow room for an approaching HGV to pass the car tried to pull me away from the edge of the road towards the path of the HGV.

I have voiced my concerns about this so called safety feature to both my dealer and to Lexus whose response has been “but you can turn it off before & during driving”……………yes I know that but (maybe it’s me who is a bit absent minded) sometimes I forget!

Whilst LKA may be a legal requirement, the pull on the steering wheel is not. A simple bleep would suffice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

It became a requirement from 2020, all new models sold after that date must have LKA enabled by default at each restart of the car. The function can only be temporarily disabled by the driver. 

Here's a good read ...

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/eli/reg/2019/2144/oj

Mazda didn’t get the memo because their latest CX-5 is switchable to permanently off.  It’s a revision of the current model but so is the UX.  in any case, my neighbour had the 2020 UX and you could default that to off, it’s just this safety system 2.5+ it’s been imposed.  My days of reading European Approval documents stopped the day I left the vehicle development industry.   The enormous brake regs approval manual was one of those books that once you put it down you couldn’t pick it up again.   

• Haha 4

Couldn't agree more that LKA is a right pain in the bottom and dangerous taboot. I'm fortunate that my car predates this latest risk-averse nonsense, but my wife's Honda doesn't. Frankly, when I drive her car, I often think of Steven King's Christine and the damn thing is trying to kill me! She has the measure of it and swiftly turns it off, but I don't and the bloody thing literally wrenches the wheel from my hand. It's not about safety because it is downright dangerous!

• Haha 2

Still not done many miles so early days but went out today and did about 20 miles on mostly town with a few county roads. I have changed the warning to bleep bleep which is similar to a speed camera warning and did not find it too bad at all. If I was going out on a longer journey on dual carriageway or motorway then yes I will turn it off. Not as concerned about it now given how we use the car.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links