Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX450h+ Cold weather driving in e mode

My new 2023 NX450h+ F Sport on 2 occasions would not drive in electric mode even with a full Battery charge, outside temp on both occasions was 11 deg and 12 deg C.

It would only drive in Hybrid mode for 5 miles before e mode kicked in. Is this due to the outside temp 12 deg C ? 

• Confused 1

On 11/4/2023 at 8:50 PM, Mr QCD said:

Thanks Hayzee I did put the front screen demist on during each drive.

I had the same experience a few weeks back and since then I have not used the demist function in the morning (which is a bit daft having it and not using it, but the engine kicking in for urban drive is so unnecessary).

18 minutes ago, John Yossarian said:

I had the same experience a few weeks back and since then I have not used the demist function in the morning (which is a bit daft having it and not using it, but the engine kicking in for urban drive is so unnecessary).

Would starting the climate through the App just before you go out help?  I used to pre-warm my A3 e-tron in this way when it was on charge in the garage and it purely used the mains power so did not affect the EV range,

• Like 1

This happened to me over the weekend. Engine kicked in after turning on the screen demist and only decided to revert to electric mode when I went into reverse gear. If  I hadn't have had to go into reverse I'm not sure if the car would have automatically moved back to electric mode.

4 minutes ago, BonzoSPB said:

This happened to me over the weekend. Engine kicked in after turning on the screen demist and only decided to revert to electric mode when I went into reverse gear. If  I hadn't have had to go into reverse I'm not sure if the car would have automatically moved back to electric mode.

Sean if my memory serves me well (which is rare) I just de-activated demist (when no longer required) and EV mode resumed.

1 hour ago, dts439 said:

Would starting the climate through the App just before you go out help?  I used to pre-warm my A3 e-tron in this way when it was on charge in the garage and it purely used the mains power so did not affect the EV range,

This is a good point. I used to use it on my BMW 530e before but due to my e-call problem my App doesn't communicate properly with the car. I am due for recall on 22nd November at my dealrship.

The demist mode will make the engine start

I have noticed however that my 450h+ will start the engine even in EV mode when the temp is low (<15) and there is only 1-4 miles left on EV range.  Dash still says EV mode but the EV car symbol goes out and the engine is running 

It’s almost as though it tries to get the engine ready for when it runs out. It’s only done it since the software update last winter and didn’t occur at all during the summer when it was warm

1 hour ago, dts439 said:

Interestingly I did start the climate using the app. It was left running for over 10 minutes but when I went to the car every window was badly steamed up. Only by starting the car and turning on the demist function did the windows clear. I'd love to know if the windows would have cleared up if I'd left the car to do its thing a bit longer.

4 minutes ago, BonzoSPB said:

Interestingly I did start the climate using the app. It was left running for over 10 minutes but when I went to the car every window was badly steamed up. Only by starting the car and turning on the demist function did the windows clear. I'd love to know if the windows would have cleared up if I'd left the car to do its thing a bit longer.

Check that the toggles are on for front and back windows...see image

Screenshot_2023-11-06-15-03-08-33_c81de8bd34641e7035cc87a6e7156ebc.thumb.jpg.da562262fb7805373bd3db7d38c63cbb.jpg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links