Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hatchet / Kindling

Boomer54

So, I read the Logburners group and spotted a guy making kindling. I had assumed everyone might know how to use a hatchet properly to make kindling, but apparently not.

As winter is coming and you might be making your own kindling here is how you do it. 

First things first; you don't need to force the blade ; you do not need to use much strength ; you do not need to take big swings.

If as below you have a standard hatchet with a 12 inch handle then as in the other picture you will hold the handle so the front of your hand is about 3 inches behind the head of the hatchet. You will hold your wood with your other hand and tilt it away from you ever so slightly so that it is not in true vertical. When you swing you will not need the head to move beyond 6 to 8 inches maximum. When you strike you will do so so that the hit impacts in the rear two inches of the blade. The middle and front of the blade are not in use. I do not fish ,but when you cast with your wrist turned sideways up that is how you will hold and swing the hatchet in what is a relatively small chopping motion.

If you are having to use much strength you are doing it incorrectly. When you hit into a knot rather than use muscle flip the piece to the otherside and work you way back to the knot. Smashing through a knot is not worth the effort and increases the potential that you might end up hurting yourself.

hatchet 2.jpg

hatchet 1.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

…… and your phone to hand to dial 999 just in case 😱

Malc 

No, but just a word to the wise, don't annoy me when I have an hatchet in my hand. 😉

• Haha 3

I've 'made' kindling years ago. Only thing is I always used a blunt axe. Worked way better than with a sharp one. 

Still got the one my Dad had so I'm guessing it's about 80 years old.

19 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

I've 'made' kindling years ago. Only thing is I always used a blunt axe. Worked way better than with a sharp one. 

Still got the one my Dad had so I'm guessing it's about 80 years old.

An axe with little edge is a good thing ,because the heavier head does the damage. Too much edge as a tendency to stick in the wood rather than smash through it. An hatchet is a bit different. The weight o f the head is what does the damage, but because you are essentially cutting through wood with thinner cross sections you do want to preserve a decent edge.

2 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

An axe with little edge is a good thing ,because the heavier head does the damage. Too much edge as a tendency to stick in the wood rather than smash through it. An hatchet is a bit different. The weight o f the head is what does the damage, but because you are essentially cutting through wood with thinner cross sections you do want to preserve a decent edge.

and of course you need to be able to rub two bits together to get the heat for the flame to light it all 🥵

Malc 

2 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

and of course you need to be able to rub two bits together to get the heat for the flame to light it all 🥵

Malc 

No, I find somebody I don't like and I use them like a sanding block. Indeed , I wouldn't bother with wood for the stove if I could work out how to get a whole body in there.

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links