Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Possible to lock the car while doors not fully closed?

Hello, let me raise an issue I have faced with my new NX350h, I am curious if some of you experienced and how is your car status. Once the alarm started suddenly, few minutes after I left the car. Luckily I was still very close to it so went back, and the reason was the car was locked but the rear door was not fully closed. I didn´t know this is possible, tried to simulate again and confirmed the same with both rear doors. Repeatedly, the locking system is made this way - if I push the doors slowly, in some moment a sensor recognizes them as closed, it´s visible also on the screen inside, but physically it´s still partially open. Car can be locked, it looks fully locked, but then a small vibration or whatever small movement of the door is making the sensor off, the system is evaluating it as unauthorized opening and alarm starts...

I called my dealer, telling me this is impossible and asked me to come. Showed to him there, he was surprised, and he tried his own NX and it was exactly same, just he did not recognized before. So he told me this is probably  a standard design of locking on this generation NX. 

Can you please try it with yours and tell me your opinion about that?

Thanks a lot!

24 minutes ago, Shanee said:

Hello, let me raise an issue I have faced with my new NX350h, I am curious if some of you experienced and how is your car status. Once the alarm started suddenly, few minutes after I left the car. Luckily I was still very close to it so went back, and the reason was the car was locked but the rear door was not fully closed. I didn´t know this is possible, tried to simulate again and confirmed the same with both rear doors. Repeatedly, the locking system is made this way - if I push the doors slowly, in some moment a sensor recognizes them as closed, it´s visible also on the screen inside, but physically it´s still partially open. Car can be locked, it looks fully locked, but then a small vibration or whatever small movement of the door is making the sensor off, the system is evaluating it as unauthorized opening and alarm starts...

I called my dealer, telling me this is impossible and asked me to come. Showed to him there, he was surprised, and he tried his own NX and it was exactly same, just he did not recognized before. So he told me this is probably  a standard design of locking on this generation NX. 

Thanks a lot!

I'm not surprised 

Because every car I've owned does the same. Just make sure it's properly closed

52 minutes ago, rayaans said:

I'm not surprised 

Because every car I've owned does the same. Just make sure it's properly closed

Really? Honestly I do not know how my previous cars as I never experienced, and tried my wife´s current one (Toyota) and it´s impossible to lock if not fully closed.

Making sure will mean to walk around always to see if children closed all doors properly when leaving the car:(

1 hour ago, Shanee said:

Thanks a lot!

I've had this experience a couple of times with my RX, didn't happen with my old NX300h.  It tells me, even though a door is locked, that it's open on the dash. I'm just going to have to make sure all the doors are properly closed before locking.

39 minutes ago, Shanee said:

Really? Honestly I do not know how my previous cars as I never experienced, and tried my wife´s current one (Toyota) and it´s impossible to lock if not fully closed.

Making sure will mean to walk around always to see if children closed all doors properly when leaving the car:(

Yep happened on all my RXs. And the Merc too, as well as the new Golf. 

9 minutes ago, HGUS said:

I've had this experience a couple of times with my RX, didn't happen with my old NX300h.  It tells me, even though a door is locked, that it's open on the dash. I'm just going to have to make sure all the doors are properly closed before locking.

in my current situation it´s showing "all closed" on the dashboard, otherwise locking is impossible. But in reality the door can be not completely closed, which can result in alarm because that door can be slightly shaking (I think in my case it was caused just by another car passing around). Or it´s possible to activate the alarm just by trying to open it by physical pulling that door handle - such door is locked, but not closed completely, so you can pull it a bit and it´s evaluated as attempt to open by force.

My previous generation NX did not have an alarm, so I even could not experience alarming due to that, but in 8 years of using I never recognized visually that locked car had not fully closed doors. My feeling is this issue has something to do with new type of e-latch.

We have had this once on our NX350h in our 4 months of ownership. I went out to check for insects etc. on the sensors and found one of the rear doors very slightly open. We just put it down to the door being on the edge of the locking mechanism and it had "popped" as the car cooled down a few hours later. It has never happened again.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links