Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I am aware, there isn’t a bulb that can be easily replaced - the light is, I think, soldered in and replacing it is quite an involved job. The radio light does not work on either of my Mk3 LS400s and this seems to be a common problem.

• Sad 1

Yes, James, it is disappointing. I don’t know whether it is the bulb filament that goes or the solder joint that no longer provides the electrical connection but an easily replaceable bulb would have been much better. 

I haven’t found it to be too much of problem as I can still see the pre-set radio channel buttons when it is dark even without the radio light.

I bought a spare radio and took it to bits to understand if i could fix the lighting problem on the unit in my car before potentially wasting time taking it out. As Colin said, they are a small bulb that require soldering back in/out. If you are not keen with a soldering iron, or wiling to be very patient, you can live without.

I have not got round to tackling the radio on my actual car yet but the dismantling of the unit itself really isn't terrible. Take pictures or label the screws as they come out. I stuck mine into a piece of polystyrene. I will likely have a go over this winter if my wife permits the office to become a work station 😛

ebay/ fb marketplace/ fb owners groups - just make sure it is for the correct year 🙂

They are getting rarer to find I would say. The unit I purchased had a dead display and no backlighting for anything so was cheap and I only cared about using it for exploration/ learning.

The dead backlighting/ radio lighting/ dead display are very common on these aging units so buying another one would be on the basis of proof that it fully functions. The backlighting is the easiest to fix if it were to only have that issue.

Removing the unit from the car isn't difficult, once you've done it a few times, it becomes fairly automatic and there are plenty of guides online.

I’ve fixed quite a few of these radio units with failed backlights for members.

The bulbs tend not to fail as the actual cause is dry solder joints on a couple of surface mount resistors at the rear of the main PCB.

You need a decent soldering iron with a fine tip, SM rework flux and a steady hand.

IMG_1118.jpeg

• Like 2

Thank you very much for a very kind offer. My problem is now that I do not know how to get the radio out! Not much of a mechanic, I am afraid!

I believe that there are sites online that can explain how to take the radio out. Do you know a link that I can use?

James

many years ago, a member on here was into fixing the pixels issues and I had the same problem too, not being able to remove it at all ....  so, I had a day out and visited him, Southampton way was it ? and he popped the unit out and worked on it on his kitchen table and popped it all back in ......  a nice day out with plenty of coffee 

just a thought !

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links