Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS300h F-Sport Tyre choice and TPMS advice

Hi All,

Can I get some opinions on tyres to put on my IS300h.

I currently have Dunlop Maxx RT on all corners as I did not like the firm ride from the original Bridgestone's. They're not bad, but I find they wear a little quicker than other tyres I have had and they suffer from crawing (I think its called when it slides on the edge of the tyre when you full lock).

I'm currently considering:

- Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 6

- Bridgestone Turanza T005 (which I believe are new and softer than the previous Turanza's I had)

Any feedback/opinions, would be great.

Also, my car is an F-Sport. Front wheel tyres are 225/40/R18 rears are 225/35/R18 and are much more limited in choice and more expensive than fronts. Does anybody know if you can use 225/40/R18 on the back as well or it will cause issues?

Lastly, I need to change a TPMS sensor. Lexus have quoted me £86 for the one ands my mechanic can program for another £40. Has anybody used a non Lexus sensor and did it work ok? Or should I not risk it? I find their parts are exceptionally expensive. It's £210 per sensor supplied and fit at my local Lexus dealership.

Cheers,

Ken 

3 hours ago, Ken83 said:

Hi All,

Can I get some opinions on tyres to put on my IS300h.

I currently have Dunlop Maxx RT on all corners as I did not like the firm ride from the original Bridgestone's. They're not bad, but I find they wear a little quicker than other tyres I have had and they suffer from crawing (I think its called when it slides on the edge of the tyre when you full lock).

I'm currently considering:

- Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 6

- Bridgestone Turanza T005 (which I believe are new and softer than the previous Turanza's I had)

Any feedback/opinions, would be great.

Also, my car is an F-Sport. Front wheel tyres are 225/40/R18 rears are 225/35/R18 and are much more limited in choice and more expensive than fronts. Does anybody know if you can use 225/40/R18 on the back as well or it will cause issues?

Lastly, I need to change a TPMS sensor. Lexus have quoted me £86 for the one ands my mechanic can program for another £40. Has anybody used a non Lexus sensor and did it work ok? Or should I not risk it? I find their parts are exceptionally expensive. It's £210 per sensor supplied and fit at my local Lexus dealership.

Cheers,

Ken 

I believe you are having the crabbing issue. 

The goodyear F1 Asymmetric 6 are heavily performance orientated. They're extremely good in the dry and wet when its warm but they become quite hard and slippy in temperature less than 10 degrees. I quite often spin them out in my c-class.

Its funny you should mention the Bridgestone Turanza T005. Ive had these fitted to the rear of the C class 1 month ago and they replaced the Asymmetric 6s. I find them softer and quieter. Also more of an all rounder than the Asymmetric 6. 

I believe you can use other TPMS sensors and have them calibrated to the car. Dont think there are any major issues

I had Michelin pilot sport 5s fitted and I am very pleased with them quieter and softer than my previous asymmetric 5s. I replaced all the tpms at the same time due to the age of the car. I bought them from lexuspartsdirect. Think the original denso ones are available on eBay possibly cheaper.

I have the asymmetric 6 all round and for me they're good. But i mostly drive in the city so perhaps i didn't need them to begin with. Like someone else pointed out they do change their behaviour based on tempreature and often times the ride is slightly firmer when its cold but is very comfortable and grippy  once the tyres warm up. I have not had issues with it slipping / spinning. Bridgestone now have turanza 6 which is an updated t005. Reviews seem to suggest theyre good but were a bit more expensive than the goodyear when i was looking. As you've already noted the tyres for 18 inch wheels are pretty expensive and an all round name brand set will cost you ~500-550. The rears are 255/35 18 i believe and not 225 i dont think you can use 225 on the rear as i think the rims are wider. 

On the tpms it depends on how long you plan to keep the car. Get the originals if you plan to run the car into the ground. They're expensive but should last a good 8-10 years. Else the aftermarket ones from brands like bosch shouldn't be too bad id think maybe look for reviews. The denso ones are nearly as expensive as the originals from what I remember. Alternatively you can just change the valave stems and batteries and use the original ones if you're good with DIY. There are videos on YouTube. 

On 11/17/2023 at 4:10 PM, rayaans said:

I believe you are having the crabbing issue. 

The goodyear F1 Asymmetric 6 are heavily performance orientated. They're extremely good in the dry and wet when its warm but they become quite hard and slippy in temperature less than 10 degrees. I quite often spin them out in my c-class.

Its funny you should mention the Bridgestone Turanza T005. Ive had these fitted to the rear of the C class 1 month ago and they replaced the Asymmetric 6s. I find them softer and quieter. Also more of an all rounder than the Asymmetric 6. 

I believe you can use other TPMS sensors and have them calibrated to the car. Dont think there are any major issues

Thanks for the feedback Rayaans. With our weather as it is, I think Its safer to stick with an all rounder so your input is very useful. 

Cheers,

Ken 

On 11/17/2023 at 4:51 PM, Bob99 said:

I had Michelin pilot sport 5s fitted and I am very pleased with them quieter and softer than my previous asymmetric 5s. I replaced all the tpms at the same time due to the age of the car. I bought them from lexuspartsdirect. Think the original denso ones are available on eBay possibly cheaper.

Thanks Bob, I will check those out too. I have never understood the lexuspartsdirect website. Is it still Lexus just cheaper or a 3rd party selling on Lexus parts? Either way, I will check it out for this. Any way of avoiding main dealer prices I'm up for!

Cheers,

Ken 

3 hours ago, Ken83 said:

Thanks Bob, I will check those out too. I have never understood the lexuspartsdirect website. Is it still Lexus just cheaper or a 3rd party selling on Lexus parts? Either way, I will check it out for this. Any way of avoiding main dealer prices I'm up for!

Cheers,

Ken 

The lexuspartsdirect.co.uk website is run by Lexus Swindon (Fish Brothers) and so it's a normal Lexus dealer that happens to also sell online - they also have a Toyota franchise and have an online store for that too. Their online prices tend to be a bit cheaper than other Lexus dealers but unless you can pick up from Swindon they charge for postage so depends what you are ordering whether it works out cheaper than your local dealer. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links