Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Parking sensor fault?

beyond the blue

I've been having trouble for a few weeks with a parking sensor fault, sometimes flashing a fault warning for a few seconds and sometimes staying on until I re-start the car. It went in for it's annual service last week and they found a faulty sensor, so been in again for it to be replaced. Within a couple of minutes of leaving the dealers the warning message was back again, so going back in to the dealer on Thursday. Anyone else had problems with this? I seem to remember reading on here about a problem, but can't find it now.

20231211_145807.jpg

12 hours ago, Dippo said:

I seem to remember the solution was a smear of vaseline on the sensor. 

Ah! Yes I remember reading that. It's a bad do when you spend almost 40K on something then you have to 'make do and mend' with a tub of Vaseline.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, beyond the blue said:

Ah! Yes I remember reading that. It's a bad do when you spend almost 40K on something then you have to 'make do and mend' with a tub of Vaseline.

Neil.. better a Little tub of Vaseline As Opposed to the Hassle of taking it to the Dealership to have Them sort it LOL

• Like 1

Just got the ES back again after having yet another parking sensor replaced, so that was drivers side rear on Monday and drivers side front today, hopefully not just vaselined up. I was sat next to another guy at the service desk that was having the same sensor problem but I don't know what model. 

I'm thinking that is the problem. We have two cars, one in garage one on drive. The one parked outside has been having this issue in freezing temps. Now its warmer here, it stopped. The indoor car, not a peep even in sub zero.

My guess is water getting in and freezing, causing either a temporary problem or real damage. Hence the vaseline fix, it stops water ingress around the rubber gasket.

Granted we are in Buckinghamshire and don’t experience too much cold but it does get close to or sometime below freezing and the car is parked on the driveway. Haven’t noticed parking sensor issue so far.

IIRC the parking sensor issue was reported by users who had ceramic coating applied to their cars and the Vaseline fix worked for ceramic coated cars.

Page 2 onwards on this post has some info - 

—E

3 hours ago, e-yes said:

Granted we are in Buckinghamshire and don’t experience too much cold but it does get close to or sometime below freezing and the car is parked on the driveway. Haven’t noticed parking sensor issue so far.

IIRC the parking sensor issue was reported by users who had ceramic coating applied to their cars and the Vaseline fix worked for ceramic coated cars.

Page 2 onwards on this post has some info - 

—E

Also a valid hypothesis. The outside car was in fact ceramic coated, not my choice. Indoor one not. I'm guessing that those ceramic coating chemicals warn to not get on rubber and the person applying doesn't read instructions or cares.

1 hour ago, peniole said:

I'm guessing that those ceramic coating chemicals warn to not get on rubber and the person applying doesn't read instructions or cares.

My car was professionally detailed with a ceramic finish and I am not aware of any warnings regarding rubber seals. 

The sensors emit a sonic signal and the ceramic film is not only very thin - too thin to affect the signal - but also in contact with the sensor so internal reflection won’t occur.  And after all, many people actually paint over the sensors without affecting their performance.

The problem is more likely due to water ingress around the sensor - especially when ice has formed and then melted. I have experienced this myself on our other (non-Lexus) car.  In my case it was simply cured by wiping the sensors dry.

If ignored I imagine that the sensor may suffer internal corrosion and that would affect its performance.

2 hours ago, peniole said:

Also a valid hypothesis. The outside car was in fact ceramic coated, not my choice. Indoor one not. I'm guessing that those ceramic coating chemicals warn to not get on rubber and the person applying doesn't read instructions or cares.

My car was Ceramic coated, it is left outside and I live in Manchester, so there's no hope for me 😁. On a serious note I am going to blow them dry with a car dryer and give them a spray with silicone lubricant and hope for the best.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links