Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mundane Topic but so Annoying

I take for granted pressing the fuel flap release button on every car I have owned which had one but when it fails to spring open it's really annoying and then  have to release it manually via the access panel in the boot.   I heard that RX or was it NX have history with this and assume the mechanism is probably the same for most Lexus cars.    Although my LS500 is under warranty it's still a bore to have to arrange a 40 mile round trip to the dealer.   Sometimes the flap releases just a smidge and I can get my finger nails in just enough to get it open.   

Probably the dealer will want the car all day unless they  know ahead of a visit what the part/issue is.   

Why is it that Lexus will readily supply winter mats and mud flaps for a lot of their models but some models like my own car get left behind.    My first LS back in 2015 a 2007 model had a lot more accessories  on a 3 day order incl mats and mud flaps.     I recall when I looked for mud flaps for my previous car a ES300 there were no official parts from Lexus but I obtained some from China on eBay and they turned out to have been designed as a non OE part for the ES.   A number of members obtained them and they were a perfect fit, front and rear, with all fixings lining up exactly with the original button fixings/bolts within the wheel arch liners.    

I’ve never had a problem with any cars opening the petrol flaps /  caps 

Might be you’re exceptionally unlucky 😂

i suppose earlier times and cars  the cap was just external and needed  strong fingers whatever 

And I’ve  been driving forever ! 

Malc 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Don't the recent LC models suffer from fuel flap failures, with Lexus issuing a recall?

Yes, I can confirm they did, albeit I'm not aware they issued a recall to fix. It was happening continually on mine and notably in cold weather. I could see what the problem was, and in practice the latch pin was marginally too long, it simply couldn't retract far enough once activated. I eventually attempted to file a smidgen off the latch pin and that seemed to solve the problem however it soon returned. I then applied some special grease as used in cryogenic applications and suitable for temps down to -60 degrees c. Remarkably this solved the problem and all I can say is it can only be a matter of a few thou that stops the mechanism from latching/releasing.

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links