Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Another ES gets stolen.

Ricardo22

My car got stolen in the early hours of this morning.

Images from my neighbours camera shows four scroats passing his house and in five minutes my car being driven away.

It's obviously upsetting and I still cant believe that it's happened. What can be done to prevent these thefts.

• Sad 12

Feel for you, mine was stolen early November, I managed to get it back, albeit damaged, by using Lexus link to track its location. It’s still with the garage as they can’t fix the damaged electrics. I had a steering bar lock fitted, absolutely pointless as they just cut through the steering wheel. I wrote to Lexus head office and posted the reply on here, basically it just said they have no plans to introduce any kind of fix to prevent theft by the canbus method of the ES. If mine does come back and not get written off I will get rid of it by any means as soon as possible. You could fit a ghost immobiliser and fit a disk lock but you will still run the risk of having considerable damage done before they realise they can’t steal it. My solution is to get rid of mine and never go near Lexus again.

10 minutes ago, e-yes said:

Is it worth (and even possible) to organise as a group and seek legal help ?

—E

I think eventually there is a good chance this will happen. Toyota and Lexus will eventually have to face the legal system due to the inaction. It could be argued that designing and building Canbus systems without encryption is a form of negligence.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Cs150 said:

I think eventually there is a good chance this will happen. Toyota and Lexus will eventually have to face the legal system due to the inaction. It could be argued that designing and building Canbus systems without encryption is a form of negligence.

I'm not so sure don't other manufacturers use the same system, sort of industry standard.

What I'd like to know is why are Lexus and Toyota products appear targeted so much?

27 minutes ago, Ricardo22 said:

I'm not so sure don't other manufacturers use the same system, sort of industry standard.

What I'd like to know is why are Lexus and Toyota products appear targeted so much?

Not aware of other makes having easily accessible wiring and a Canbus system with no encryption to protect the communications. Although have not researched the JLR situation due to having no interest in their vehicles! We have to be mindful a £10 device with basic electronics is being used to steal Lexus and Toyota models. If the diesel emission scandal can generate a class action this seems to be quite plausible with the theft situation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cs150 said:

Although have not researched the JLR situation due to having no interest in their vehicles!

At least JLR seem to be doing something with there recalls which they do publicise. As well as a poor design Lexus aren’t doing anything regarding retrospective protection with the ES

After seeing quite a few members on here having their ES either stolen or damaged due to attempted theft. I have unfortunately been been a target recently, but managed to chase them off.
My beloved ES had the left side panel pried open and the headlight cable damaged. May those scumbags experience a 1000 painful deaths. The cost to fix it is a headache, and I have now multiple antitheft locks and devices in place. 
But if I have to do all this, just to keep my car safe, then I wonder if its worth it.
I might as well go back to my 2013 Lexus that did not have any of these problems.

All members please watch out for your cars this month as there is a rise in thefts due to the festive season. 

Sorry to hear of these continued thefts.

I would suggest everyone effected posts on here:

https://mag.lexus.co.uk/car-security-advice-and-tips/

It will certainly increase the embarrassment factor for Lexus by having this discussed so publicly on their own website, and perhaps help them to consider to do the right thing.

Paul

As others have pointed out on this forum, until Lexus decide to produce and offer solutions to this Canbus attack vulnerability, for existing ES and NX models (not to mention the rest of the range), and publicise that they're taking action to address this problem retrospectively, the bad guys are not going to ease off. Predictably, now they've found a low cost method of stealing high value vehicles, it's increasingly evident organised criminals have moved in to strip cars within a day or two of them being taken.

Yes, the latest NX models are purported to have some element of Canbus encryption, but that's not going to stop the miscreants having a go, by which time they've caused many 1000's of pounds worth of damage as a minimum. That's notwithstanding the fact you may have also paid many hundreds of £'s extra to get an after market immobiliser/tracker fitted.

The impact of existing thefts has already crippled Lexus insurance costs, and I don't see that situation changing any time soon, least not until Lexus intervene in a positive way.

Lexus must know the level of damage this is causing to customer confidence in the brand, and it's got to be hitting their sales already. Indeed, many Lexus owners are increasingly angry over the lack of response, and in due course some will vote with their feet.

I trust Corporate Lexus are tracking opinion on this forum.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, PDM said:

It will certainly increase the embarrassment factor for Lexus by having this discussed so publicly on their own website, and perhaps help them to consider to do the right thing.

Paul

I did, it never made it past their censorship though

40 minutes ago, PDM said:

Paul

Posted this, let's see if they leave it or moderate it and/or reply...

Reading the press and the Lexus Owners Club Forum it appears that Lexus is experiencing a serious theft problem involving the ES, RX and latterly the LC. Apart from the distress and worry, a knock on effect is that they are becoming much more expensive to insure, with Lexus own insurance refusing cover in some cases – if that’s not an admission of a failure for owners, what is? And how many sales are now being lost and what’s this doing to the confidence in the brand?

I own two of these vehicles, an RX and an LC. My question to Lexus is what are you doing about this theft pandemic? Please don’t post a standard answer, speak to your local center (who are strangely unaware of the problem), fit extra security, etc., people reading this are not stupid, they buy Lexus for goodness sake, or are thinking about it! Land Rover have grabbed the bull by the horns and are offering upgrades to their vehicles and recently announced an owners insurance scheme. Come on Lexus, let’s have some real action, not just a steel plate for the RX which isn’t even being publicised (because there aren’t enough to go round?).

• Like 10

“In the relentless pursuit of perfection”

Not satisfied with anything less, allegedly only being at the number 2 position of the most stolen vehicles in the UK are Lexus trying to get to the top spot in this category too I wonder?

They have however apparently already received the top accolade for the most stolen hybrid vehicle.

UK consumer law states “ Goods must be of satisfactory quality” and “Fit for purpose”

Personally I would not consider an easily stolen motor vehicle to meet either of these criteria.

• Like 8

On 12/19/2023 at 7:02 PM, Ricardo22 said:

Because They are Looked apon as Luxury Cars And not Hillbilly cars which are much more Attractive To The low life who steal Them....!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

My car was recovered a few weeks after being stolen. It was involved in an accident and subsequently written off.

The thieves abandoned the car and it was left in the middle of the road, a sad end to a very good car.

• Sad 5

On 12/19/2023 at 7:02 PM, Ricardo22 said:

Shame to hear of ricardo22’s loss. 
These cars are targeted because the canbus system ‘designed’ by Toyota is incredibly vulnerable. The ecus for the headlights are accessible within seconds. Video here by the seller of the thieves equipment shows how it’s done. He needs some practice - less than 60 seconds is possible. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMdfgYi09_w

• Sad 2

On 12/19/2023 at 7:29 PM, Guest said:

Feel for you, mine was stolen early November, I managed to get it back, albeit damaged, by using Lexus link to track its location. It’s still with the garage as they can’t fix the damaged electrics. I had a steering bar lock fitted, absolutely pointless as they just cut through the steering wheel. I wrote to Lexus head office and posted the reply on here, basically it just said they have no plans to introduce any kind of fix to prevent theft by the canbus method of the ES. If mine does come back and not get written off I will get rid of it by any means as soon as possible. You could fit a ghost immobiliser and fit a disk lock but you will still run the risk of having considerable damage done before they realise they can’t steal it. My solution is to get rid of mine and never go near Lexus again.

This kind of attack is done on all cars and not only on Lexus. If you change car you’ll have the same problem once the thieves will found the sweet spot to attack can bus, for example in Land Rovers is usually in the tailgate.. there are many videos on YouTube 

7 minutes ago, andrew-amazing said:

This kind of attack is done on all cars and not only on Lexus. If you change car you’ll have the same problem once the thieves will found the sweet spot to attack can bus, for example in Land Rovers is usually in the tailgate.. there are many videos on YouTube 

It is indeed a game of cat and mouse. But Lexus/Toyota seem to have given up, effectively leaving whole generations of cars easily stolen. Whereas JLR are spending £10m to retrofit older vehicles with better security. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tickedon said:

It is indeed a game of cat and mouse. But Lexus/Toyota seem to have given up, effectively leaving whole generations of cars easily stolen. Whereas JLR are spending £10m to retrofit older vehicles with better security. 

Probably because Toyota group has sold multi millions more vehicles during the years compared to JLR

7 hours ago, andrew-amazing said:

Probably because Toyota group has sold multi millions more vehicles during the years compared to JLR

TMC also has millions more in profit to fix it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links