Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Amazon gift card problem???

My son lives in Australia and has an Australian amazon account. I live in the UK and have both an Australian amazon account (for use when I visit him) and my UK account. Today he sent me a $600au amazon gift card by email. When I clicked on the tab 'add this gift card to your account' it went into my Australian account (I didn't see an option to put it into my UK account) so now I can't use it to buy the Christmas present it was for. I have had a live chat with amazon and they told me I can't transfer it to my UK account and my son won't be able to cancel it because it is now in my account. I have tried to buy the present using my Australian account but it can't be posted to the UK and it would cost to much to have it posted over here if I had it sent to my sons address. It appears I'm stuck in no mans land. Can anyone come up with any suggestions???

Then spend it on whatever you might wish for or donate it away to a worthy cause and then close the accounts 

Salvation Army is a worthy cause ……. amazon has just shown you and all here  how unworthy it is of your funds ! 

Malc 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, beyond the blue said:

My son lives in Australia and has an Australian amazon account. I live in the UK and have both an Australian amazon account (for use when I visit him) and my UK account. Today he sent me a $600au amazon gift card by email. When I clicked on the tab 'add this gift card to your account' it went into my Australian account (I didn't see an option to put it into my UK account) so now I can't use it to buy the Christmas present it was for. I have had a live chat with amazon and they told me I can't transfer it to my UK account and my son won't be able to cancel it because it is now in my account. I have tried to buy the present using my Australian account but it can't be posted to the UK and it would cost to much to have it posted over here if I had it sent to my sons address. It appears I'm stuck in no mans land. Can anyone come up with any suggestions???

This is an interesting one, I can buy from the US site with no problem. I think it's worthwhile to ask for resolution ideas from amazon. On the first enquiry you went through scripted first lines probably in the Philippines kindly ask your situation be escalated. Bearing in mind I suspect amazon are wary of any forms of money laundering even if way below £10k threshold 

I guess one option would be to use the gift card to purchase items from amazon AU for your son (and his family and possibly other trusted individuals?) in Australia over the forthcoming months until the card value is drained. You could seek recompense from them for each purchase in some way (electronic or otherwise). I realise that's a bit of a faff but it would work.

Now whether your son is willing, or indeed able, to stump up another $600 for the planned Christmas present is another matter.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Spock66 said:

You could use your balance to buy an eGift card for your son to return the funds to him, assuming he will spend the money at some point.

I don't think you can use a Gift Card balance to buy gift cards - you have to buy them with fresh funds. I tried to do this earlier this month.

31 minutes ago, Dippo said:

I don't think you can use a Gift Card balance to buy gift cards - you have to buy them with fresh funds. I tried to do this earlier this month.

That’s correct, you can’t. Using the funds to buy what the family needs in Australia is the best and only solution if amazon won’t help. 

It's been resolved!!! My son requested to cancel the gift card, they initially refused as the gift card had been technically redeemed (by me). Australia amazon contacted me for my permission for them to cancel the balance in my Australian account. After l agreed they sent me a code that l had to use in order for them to do that. They have reduced my balance to zero and after a period of time they will return the $600 to my son. Lesson learned!!!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, beyond the blue said:

Neil .... I Honestly Can,t see Why amazon Can,t Transfer The Money to your UK Account I Know they say that the money has been Paid in to your Australian account But They MUST be able to withdraw that With Your Permission and re-direct it to your UK Account.. phone them again and ask to speak In The first instance to the Team Leader and if they still say no ask to speak to The amazon Operations Manager..Keep going Up the chain of command Till You get This sorted......That would be my best advice......Hope that helps Neil...!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links