Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

SC430 FOR SALE Chat

finchy40

5 minutes ago, finchy40 said:

Not a lot of people know that’

Know what? I just don't know full stop.  Where's me pills?

17 minutes ago, finchy40 said:

Did you know…… that I’m feeling like I’ve really missed out on that one in Shipley. 
GUTTED!!!!

It’s a sad but true fact if looking for a SC430 you have to be ready to travel the next day ….or leave a securing deposit over the phone .

My cars not perfect yet I have the time and ability to make it just right .

Buying an SC430 is a bit like getting a classic , you will need to do work on it as most of these cars have had a life .

Bumps and scraps can be fixed ,electrical gremlins sorted, and mechanical bits replaced, it’s just how much of that work you can do yourself .

My cars does not FSH yet I can see by the bills it’s had a good level of maintenance and I can upgrade on that myself .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, finchy40 said:

Did you know…… that I’m feeling like I’ve really missed out on that one in Shipley. 
GUTTED!!!!

Hey Cinders you will go to the ball. Your fairy godfather has waved his magic wand.

• Like 1

I think we are the most up beat division of the Lexus massive. All doom and gloom on the other threads. Theft, tyre wear, depreciation, mpg....the list goes on.

• Like 3

Gary as promised earlier here are my findings from Shipley. I'll do notes followed by pics separately.

Bodywork. Overall very good. No evidence of any corrosion/bubbling. Paid particular attention to notorious roof area and there is zero to be found. There are to scuffs to paintwork. One lower front bumper and other lower passenger side sill. You have to be looking to find them because of position. Little primer exposed ,but wondered if they would cutout. Couple of hairline scratches one to bonnet and other to sill. The latter a bit deeper. Nothing really given the age of car. Little more is the making good to the small area around the lower light. Had some impact causing a hairline crack and it's been coloured in ,but not buffed so the lack of sheen caught my eye. Could be improved. Wheel arches very clean with liners.

UnderHood. Pictures say it all. very clean.

Underbody. Got a sheet down and squirmed under. Definitely surface rust, no  surprise. Didn't see any bad corrosion and again there are no advisories anywhere in the past on this. Would definitely get it undersealed though.

Alloys/tyres. Tyres are 2019, but no cracking or gashes/cuts in evidence. Coin measure shows approx 5mm +- 1mm. Depending on mileage couple of years of running albeit the make Victoria is not a brand I know. alloys at first blush quite suit the car, but two on passenger side have small kerb rash and a couple of chips. Don't shout at you ,but when you start looking you will notice. Seen worse and may be something to attend to if you kept it for more than short term.

Wiper arms losing their finish mark for replacement.

Brakes. Discs and pads renewed either 2019/20. says calipers painted red, but I could read brembo.

Suspension. Not much conclusive to say. No advisories , pass the push test, ok until it isn't.

Exhaust. No advisory, some rust in parts to the eye, but again ok until it's not. Think it may be original though so something to bookmark as coming your way in the years ahead.

Drivers side headlight is very opaque whilst the passenger side is crystal clear. Will it polish out ,or does it need a replacement I just cannot tell from that kind of inspection.

Cambelt/waterpump. Can see no sticker it's been done nor any invoice for it. If needed i think theymight do that, or some contribution to it. They do have the ability to do it.

Internal. Ecru leather is a little worn for my taste, but I have no doubt it could be cleaned up. There are no splits/tears, or the like so it's really collonising work. On a personal note, I will stick with black. Small scrathces around gear lever.

Seat well areas. No mats down, carpet was damp to touch, but they did say they had just valeted it. Given their attitude during my visit I tend to believe them.

Boot area. Similarly damp for same reason.  Mechanics look lubricated and free of rust. Drain holes looked unblocked to the eye (as far as one can see of course). Toolkit all in place. No spare. Worst point is the luggage slider that must be in place for the roof to come off is functional so the roof will come off, but apart frrom that it is coming to pieces on the underside. Definitely something to replace sooner than later.

Electrics. Checked it all and it works and I mean everything down to fuelcap, aerial, window turning in and down for reversing etc.. No dashboards warnings on show. Only thing not checked is roof off. The Battery was not holding enough charge to test it. Hardly surprising given it's standing in the cold weather. Battery was replaced 3 years ago? Alternator was replaced 2023.

MOT history is very good. Service record is regular enough ,but it is all Indy ,not Lexus dealership. It's come from Surrey and Kent area . Last service in oct '23 oil change and filter.

I will now post a few photos I took for eagle eye Bob to get into. Sorry I did not get more with hindsight, but with no gloves on I was freezing my b...cks off after an hour and a half.

Indeed, it took me so long I ran out of time to test drive the thing which is a bit of a shame. Doubt it would have told me much other than brakes work !

• Thanks 1

My mechanical skills are very limited ,but within that context I think this car is nicely priced for what you get. I suspect you could drive it off the forecourt right up to it's next MOT without spending other than that boot slider unless you wanted to take 'off the rough edges' mentioned which would just elevate it to a very nice example .

Below some photos. As I say wish I had got more.

hood.jpg

hood2.jpg

hood 3.jpg

dash.jpg

20240118_150627.jpg

under2.jpg

Gear.jpg

leather.jpg

I can confirm definitely Mk 2. Definitely Twilight Amethyst pearl.

Last ,but not least total car check. Cannot seem to load that. However, i have it if you want to check any aspect of it.

Just for clarity I cannot now hold this one for you on reserved any longer as the garage has now cancelled it. So, now up to you if you want to jump on it ,or not ,but if you do then don't dally.

6 minutes ago, Bob King said:

New radiator fitted 👍🏻👍🏻

I was going to say that. 🙂

I wondered what the red cable was for so looked it up on AT and can see it has DRLs fitted. Interior looks a bit neglected and the dealer has put some effort into cleaning it. Lovely colour, MOT history looks okay. It needs 4 new tyres if the Vitora Sportlife review is correct. E-rated in the wet so that's £600 to add. 

15 minutes ago, Neil E said:

I was going to say that. 🙂

I wondered what the red cable was for so looked it up on AT and can see it has DRLs fitted. Interior looks a bit neglected and the dealer has put some effort into cleaning it. Lovely colour, MOT history looks okay. It needs 4 new tyres if the Vitora Sportlife review is correct. E-rated in the wet so that's £600 to add. 

Yes …Got some ugly day time lights fitted next to the front fog lamps 🙄

• Like 1

Last thing I saw, but forgot to make note as I was packing up. Stand 6 to 8 feet behind the boot with the light glancing off the boot lid. On the left hand side mid point of lid front to back you will just get the hint of a slight 'bump' to the the rest of the lid. The size of a 5p. May be a past little ding, or even a 'bubble'. Whatever it is it's so well done you can't see it up close it's only visible by standing back and tilting your head to look along the car using the light to detect any defects. That's the only one I saw that way on the car.

The reference to the day time lights above make me wonder if the small blemished area I noted passenger side was made when they fitted them? Certainly the right area.

Yes Neil, the leather could do with a restoration kit and elbow grease. Good thing is there were no real defects to it that needed more. I don't even think the seat pad is overly compressed.

12 years with an elderly gentleman at the wheel (so obviously none of us spring chickens). My sense is it's maintained more to the level of roadworthiness rather than a real enthusiast say like you guys ,or Stew who would have done some other stuff.

However, in keeping with the buying pattern for this group, this is in my view certainly a car priced right so you have a few thousand to play with to make it 'sorted'. Compared to the stuff in Bradford at near 13k it's a bargain. With those you would probably end up with the same spend hence you would be closing in on mid teens which makes no economic sense when you could buy something like this.

Of course it does not hurt the private plate K60 LEX comes with the car. Worth a Bob, or two.

The garage itself. I go there having told them I was coming later that day. They handed over the V5 ,keys, big folder of past paperwork and trade plate. Sent me over to it on my own to take as long as I wanted looking and reading uninterrupted which was  a tad over an hour and a half.. Happy to let me just drive it out on my own trusting me to bring it back. That was James and Nigel. Gave me  a positive feeling that they were the rightside of the line for traders.

Thats it I think.

• Like 1

Very fair and detailed report Stephen 👍🏻 it’s probably going to need a few grand spending on it but all our car will , as they are 15 + years old .

Other thing to note is you’ll never get your money back on on it but then that’s not why we buy these cars.

i would have sleepless night buying a car without seeing it (even though I missed stuff on mine ! ), yet the report above is very comprehensive…although disappointed not compression test was done or taste testing all the fluids(joke) 😂😘😉

• Like 1

Had I not bought mine already, and knowing what I now know, I think I would be happy to pay upfront deposit and have a trip up north.

New tyres can be bought for two years road tax saving!

And you get 12 month mot and probs 3 month warranty.

Pay £15k for one and you might still get original exhaust and shocks.

£30 for leather dye sorts interior.

Engine good for another 117k miles. Doubt they will budge much on price though. It is Yorkshire.

• Like 2

I’ll speak to James in the morning. As I’m only back on 29th, he may well not be prepared to keep it til then anyway. 
Still can’t quite believe how much help (especially Stephen and his 1.5 hour marathon inspection) you lads have given me.

Once I’ve been in touch with James I’ll give you all a heads up. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

Had I not bought mine already, and knowing what I now know, I think I would be happy to pay upfront deposit and have a trip up north.

New tyres can be bought for two years road tax saving!

And you get 12 month mot and probs 3 month warranty.

Pay £15k for one and you might still get original exhaust and shocks.

£30 for leather dye sorts interior.

Engine good for another 117k miles. Doubt they will budge much on price though. It is Yorkshire.

Frankly, I don't think they will move price much either, but I bet they are open to making sure the cambelt/waterpump are done which is worth having.

4 minutes ago, finchy40 said:

I’ll speak to James in the morning. As I’m only back on 29th, he may well not be prepared to keep it til then anyway. 
Still can’t quite believe how much help (especially Stephen and his 1.5 hour marathon inspection) you lads have given me.

Once I’ve been in touch with James I’ll give you all a heads up. 

Let's not big it up. I was actually having lunch in Bingley with my oldest friend yesterday and Shipley is a small spit away. As for the one and half hours it's not a marathon. I would have been there longer and done the test drive as well, but I just ran out of time having had the lunch set the start time.

• Like 2

Knowing what I know I would do this.

James "whats it going to take to hold this car for me. I am starting at a non refundable deposit of £100, tell me when to stop £150, £200", have the number you want to stop at in your head before you start. For me I would happily go £500.

3 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

Or pay and get him to deliver it to your house. No need to sort out insurance and a nice present when you get back.

Sorry, too much peer pressure!

What a plan….waiting for you Gary on your return home 😎

Guy on another SC430 club a few years back , I think left 3 or 4 deposits on cars he was interested in, not sure if he ever got his money back😳 . So £500 would be an amount that says you are serious 👍🏻

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boomer54 said:

Let's not big it up. I was actually having lunch in Bingley with my oldest friend yesterday and Shipley is a small spit away. As for the one and half hours it's not a marathon. I would have been there longer and done the test drive as well, but I just ran out of time having had the lunch set the start time.

Fwiiw  apart from freezing my b..cks off I had so much fun doing that it beats the hell out of flopping on a sun lounger any day of the week.

• Haha 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links