Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Having had the car since May23 and it being a launch model (reg 31/1/23),  thought I'd driven enough now (all over UK and to Florence via Germany and back!) to give a review and my thoughts on good and bad.

Good

Styling is good,  I much prefer it to the previous gen,  except the front / front 3/4 view,  the 'beak' on the bonnet/grille is jarring and a dark colour hides it more in my view. Comfortable, quiet, pretty powerful and quick when it needs to be.  Adaptive shocks and rear steer means it pretty nimble too when needed, ride is very acceptable depsite not being air-springs.  The  Rear steer makes a difference in the car parks and manouvering too., visibility is great both with Mk1 eyeball and the cameras.  Engine and 6spd auto are great, no hesitations ( I came from a Audi SQ5 with its 8spd, it was really bad for not making its mind up), and imperceptible changes too. Cabin is fine,  screen is mostly good, fix and finish internally is good, nothing squeaks or rattles, nothing has failed, as you would expect of Lexus, really.  The Bladescan headlights are pretty good too,  if a little sensitive to reflective roadsigns. The adaptive cruise and lane keeping works well,  though the msgs it shows up in HUD and dash are a pain sometimes.

German Autobahn was an indicated 200kph/125mph and still pulling when I had to slow for other traffic,  quick to get there too.

Bad

Software,  again!   I left Lexus partly because I was fed up of the poor software implementations in their cars and apps. Audi while not perfect, was pretty good. *****, even Alfa Romeo in car software did everything you wanted/needed.  Lexus, updated to Carplay etc,  but the mobile app is abysmal and the in car setup is still pretty poor.  Options are buried away in menu's, some menu's can only be seen in other sections.  Some options naming, make no sense (overtake prevent - you mean undertake prevent!).  The app, the new Lexus Link + one, still can't send to car addresses, you have little info and what is there is frequently wrong or missing.  Things don't work as expected - example - in Carplay, when playing audio, if a msg comes in the audio (radio, music) doesn't mute or go quiet whilst it is read out.  But hang on, it does if its a podcast that plays. Why?!?!   Again its like a committee implemented it and never discussed with anyone in the team.  I've had the software updates to "bring the car up to the current new models , sir" whatever that did (note at the dealer not over the air as promised),  nothing has changed that I can see.  Map updates, display "error, contact dealer".   

Seats - can't get comfortable in the FSport RX seat, which is a surprise, the ones in the IS of a few years ago were superb.  More than one person has commented that they are quite narrow in this RX.

Fuel tank filler - between first click off and actually full is nearly another gallon of petrol.  the air syphoning out as it fills comes out in great gurgles.  Combined with a super pessemistic range guage,  its easy to think the MPG is appalling, but its pretty true to the display averaging about 33-34mpg. Max in summer was 40mpg, lowest has been 12mpg (cold short journey)   There is no EV button on the RX500h,  so you can't force it to do EV only at all.

Randomly , the intermittent front wiper setting, keeps going to sleep too.  It wipes fine for a while,  then it stops and nothing you can do, bar turning it off and on again will make it work again.  I can't see a pattern (time, water on screen, number of wipes etc) it just goes to sleep and doesn't wake up.  I think its a bug in SW, but who knows.  Anyone else with a RX-Gen5 that does this?

Finally after almost a year, got the second key and the locking wheel nuts, and I've yet to find out a way to stop it telling me every time I get in, that a new key has been registered.  The number of pointless messages it comes up on the screen is rubbish too. It tells you on the dash the washer fluid is low,  then logs it in the centre screen and pulls up a full page msg about it too.  WHY!!!

Lastly, Tyre size is really odd - 235/50R21 Michelin Pilot Sport4 SUV is what it has on it.  If you can find them, they are currently nearly £400 each! (the Audi SQ5 I thought was bad for Pirelli special fit PZero 255/45/r21 at £250)  There is minimal choice in that size too, so not looking forward to swapping them later this year, or if I get a puncture.  They are lasting well though,  about 50% worn at the 15k mile mark.

Overall I'm still liking it,  it makes a comfortable mile muncher on the motorway and yet still an entertaining A-Road overtaker too.  I am hoping beyond hope there is further updates in SW coming to fix and deal with some of these gremlins and errors, otherwise I can see myself going back to the Germans again...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good review but I can’t understand why they’d release it without muting the messaging in CarPlay. That’s just odd. ‘21 LC with CarPlay is fine.
I’ve seen these in my Lexus dealer - they look really good - the RX always seemed a bit awkward from some angles and a bit up on tippy toes but the changes to the 500h, rear especially, gives them a really good look.

1 hour ago, Steve44 said:

Randomly , the intermittent front wiper setting, keeps going to sleep too.  It wipes fine for a while,  then it stops and nothing you can do, bar turning it off and on again will make it work again.  I can't see a pattern (time, water on screen, number of wipes etc) it just goes to sleep and doesn't wake up.  I think its a bug in SW, but who knows.  Anyone else with a RX-Gen5 that does this?

Yep, I've noticed this as well! Will ask the service department about it when I go in for the new key and wheel bolts on Tuesday.

Thanks for the review. I spoke to my dealer about a test drive and he put me off saying the fuel economy was terrible. 33-34 mpg seems reasonable but I don’t know the driving style that achieved it. He said mid 20s!

Could you give me more of an idea of your experience and driving style?

Thank you

3 minutes ago, WipeOut said:

Thanks for the review. I spoke to my dealer about a test drive and he put me off saying the fuel economy was terrible. 33-34 mpg seems reasonable but I don’t know the driving style that achieved it. He said mid 20s!

Could you give me more of an idea of your experience and driving style?

Thank you

Probably 80% motorway cruising with cruise control, 20% round town. I’ve found I drive it mostly in Eco mode, better throttle pedal map, but still full power get up and go when pressed hard. There is little difference between it and normal.

If you are really heavy with right foot and doing short journeys only, 20’s I can believe. But if short journeys is what you are doing the. The 450h plugin or the 350h would be better. It is the performance version, its doesn’t try to be economical.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AWC said:

Yep, I've noticed this as well! Will ask the service department about it when I go in for the new key and wheel bolts on Tuesday.

Glad it’s not just mine then, the service team looked at me like I had 2 heads when I explained it to them, the software update I had has made no difference so resigned to telling them again at the next service point.

Thanks for doing this review. Like you I’ve noticed that the intermittent wipers fall asleep and need the switch off, switch on routine. I’m also due a dealer visit this week so will ask them about it too.

New to Lexus and my first post after   having mostly BMW, with the odd Audi & Volkswagen in almost 50 years driving. My wife and daughter have had the latest Corolla and Yaris and these have been fine with no issues at all.  I have purchased  an RX 500 H and I’m very disappointed.

The infotainment /car set up and software is abysmal, far too many gremlins. 

Here are some of the things I think are poor or don’t work correctly .

Rain sensing wipers only work for a few minutes then need turning off and turning back on again

Carplay and Siri don’t work well as the music volume does not mute

Lexux link App is poor

The Driver Monitor system tells me every few minutes to sit up so I’ve turned it off.

The grime and dirt that build up on the inside of the front and rear doors is not what you expect on a so called luxury vehicle. 

Lexus certainly hasn’t done any cold weather testing for this vehicle as the E Lock system has been unusable this past week with the frost, it’s like going back to the 70/80s

Fuel tank flap not flush 

I can’t work out what the size of the fuel tank is as I’ve been unable to get more than 45 litres in it, even with the system telling me I’ve only 50 miles range left. I believe it’s supposed to be 55 or 60 litre. 

I only received one key and was only told about the key shortage after I’d handed over the payment. 

You would think that as the RX has a lot in common with the NX that these problems would have been sorted out prior to the RX being launched. 

There are other issues all linked to the Infotainment/car set up and software. 

I really want to like the car but in truth I wish I could turn the clock back 5 weeks and change my purchase decision and stick with BMW. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Bibs said:

New to Lexus and my first post after   having mostly BMW, with the odd Audi & Volkswagen in almost 50 years driving. My wife and daughter have had the latest Corolla and Yaris and these have been fine with no issues at all.  I have purchased  an RX 500 H and I’m very disappointed.

Rain sensing wipers only work for a few minutes then need turning off and turning back on again

Lexux link App is poor

The Driver Monitor system tells me every few minutes to sit up so I’ve turned it off.

The grime and dirt that build up on the inside of the front and rear doors is not what you expect on a so called luxury vehicle. 

Lexus certainly hasn’t done any cold weather testing for this vehicle as the E Lock system has been unusable this past week with the frost, it’s like going back to the 70/80s

Fuel tank flap not flush 

I can’t work out what the size of the fuel tank is as I’ve been unable to get more than 45 litres in it, even with the system telling me I’ve only 50 miles range left. I believe it’s supposed to be 55 or 60 litre. 

I only received one key and was only told about the key shortage after I’d handed over the payment. 

You would think that as the RX has a lot in common with the NX that these problems would have been sorted out prior to the RX being launched. 

I really want to like the car but in truth I wish I could turn the clock back 5 weeks and change my purchase decision and stick with BMW. 

Sorry to hear this.  I'm surprised that the door handles on the new RX are freezing in the same way as gen 2 NX.  There have been replacements for the NX that solve this issue so I'm surprised the new design is not fitted on the newest builds (NX and RX) from factory. 

The range estimate on Lexus is very very conservative.  You will probably have tens of miles of range left even when the predicted range shows zero.

Try to have realistic expectations about software updates.

Sounds like the fuel door needs an adjustment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting reading, haven't heard too much yet from owners of the new model on here.

I enjoyed my brief drive in a 450h+ last year, and it's certainly what I'm considering moving to from my 3rd gen version in a few years' time (leapfrogging the interim RX, unless the theft/insurance issues have been resolved).

The software/tech is my biggest reservation, not so much because I want it to work but more that I'd rather not have it at all. I've done most of my driving over the last 36 years without any of it (maybe half a million miles?), do I need it now?

Hopefully by the time I get one most of the issues noted above will have been resolved (and there'll be a way of turning off as much of the tech as possible).

My ideal spec is a 450h+ in 'base spec' Premium trim, seems perfectly well-equipped to me and I prefer the idea of its 19" wheels for driving around my rural area plus a wider choice for replacement tyres.

1 hour ago, Bibs said:

Lexux link App is poor

Fuel tank flap not flush 

Yep, forgot about the bottom of the doors getting filthy, but it does keep the sill clean so your leg doesn’t get covered, (looking at you Audi with your sill steps).

Fuel tank is meant to be 65ltr. At 0 range the most I’ve got in it is 50ltr, right to the top of the pipe, so it must have 3+ gallon still in it, crazy.

I almost got stuck out of the car in recent snow, could not get the door handle button to press in, so couldn’t open the door, it was cold and would not move. Eventually was able to squeeze it enough to pop the lock, then wrenched the door open. It is poor.

On 1/21/2024 at 5:28 PM, Steve44 said:

Update on the intermittent wiper issue, spoke to the service guys at my local Lexus about this issue expecting them to be totally ignorant on the subject. To my surprise they said they had another customer driving a RZ who complained of the same issue, Lexus UK techs told them to replace the wiper linkage which apparently solved the problem. They are going to talk to Lexus Uk about my RX to see if the same fix will work and get back to me for a call back. Seems strange that would be a mechanical issue but I will live in hope!

3 hours ago, AWC said:

Update on the intermittent wiper issue, spoke to the service guys at my local Lexus about this issue expecting them to be totally ignorant on the subject. To my surprise they said they had another customer driving a RZ who complained of the same issue, Lexus UK techs told them to replace the wiper linkage which apparently solved the problem. They are going to talk to Lexus Uk about my RX to see if the same fix will work and get back to me for a call back. Seems strange that would be a mechanical issue but I will live in hope!

That is strange. Interested to know what happens. In typical fashion mine worked flawlessly for 90+mins today. 🙄

52 minutes ago, Steve44 said:

It has a rear wiper, it’s hidden under the rear spoiler at the top, wipes from top down. 

Ah. Every day is a school day! I knew that the rear wiper had been deleted from the RZ. 

On 1/22/2024 at 9:33 AM, Xez said:

Thanks for doing this review. Like you I’ve noticed that the intermittent wipers fall asleep and need the switch off, switch on routine. I’m also due a dealer visit this week so will ask them about it too.

Feedback following my visit to the dealership is that this is the first report of the wiper issue but that they will monitor for other occurrences. The car has had a software update so I’ll see if the issue still remains.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2024 at 3:39 PM, AWC said:

My dealer took my car in for investigation of the intermittent wiper issue, they did end up replacing the wiper linkage which apparently has the wiper motor as an integral component. Had a 2 hour drive to Bristol this weekend in continual rain and the intermittent wipers worked faultlessly all the way without needing to reset them, even the wipe rate control now seems to be a lot better in terms of range and usefulness.

I guess there must be a bad batch of wiper motors out there in the new models!

• Thanks 1

Right after the first 5 minutes in the new RX a year ago when I went for a test drive I knew It’s not for me. Very disappointed with the interior quality/ design but also with the space in particular for the back seats. The increase in price from 64k for a 2022 Takumi to a 82k Takumi (when new) is not justifiable at all to me. 

It also feels more like a bigger NX where the previous model was nothing like that. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links