Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Road rage a sign of our times

14 minutes ago, GMB said:

My Uncle was a chindit

M&S published an illustrated book of the second world war, we had a copy but it went missing. In the centrefold is a large double spread picture of him and his two surviving pals being rescued by the Americans from the jungle. He is Sergeant Lewis Marshall.

He lost a few teeth and a lot of weight but after eating insects and vermin for 3 months it is not surprising.

• Like 3

They rarely spoke of their great ordeals ……. I tried to get my first wife’s grandfather to talk of his times on the Front both at Ypres and the Somme ….. and my father in law blown up on his ship and spent some of the war in an Italian burns hospital in Corsica I think it was ….. lots of facial bits sloped off with scalpels with his then hospitalisation …… my Dad survived with a bullet thru his helmet on the Luftwaffe bullet strewn beaches of France ….. THEY just NEVER spoke of their travails and horrors …… wish I could have understood about it all …… nevermind ….. a just amazingly brave and formidable generation or so 

Malc 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Malc1 said:

They rarely spoke of their great ordeals ……. I tried to get my first wife’s grandfather to talk of his times on the Front both at Ypres and the Somme ….. and my father in law blown up on his ship and spent some of the war in an Italian burns hospital in Corsica I think it was ….. lots of facial bits sloped off with scalpels with his then hospitalisation …… my Dad survived with a bullet thru his helmet on the Luftwaffe bullet strewn beaches of France ….. THEY just NEVER spoke of their travails and horrors …… wish I could have understood about it all …… nevermind ….. a just amazingly brave and formidable generation or so 

Malc 

Seems to be a common factor as my father never spoke about it to my knowledge and if a war documentary came on to the TV he would just switch it off. I know he remained friends with a couple of the guys he was with right to the end as they would visit each other every once in awhile. Bonds forged in war and all that. I only have one photo of him from that time and it's tiny about 2" sq probably taken with some 'brownie' type camera. It got torn in two and I tried and failed to get it restored and blown up as the photo quality was poor and pixels enlarged make the already poor clarity even worse. Always makes me smile to look at it as true to form he and a friend are boxing !. He was a boxer from a very early age and still boxed in the services. He taught me from age 4 for gods sakes and I cannot say I liked it very much. Getting smacked in the face by someone so much faster than you tends to have that affect (sic). He sounds like a scrapper when in fact he was a very quiet guy, and in truth I doubt he ever started a fight although it is evident he ended some before they ever really got started.

As you say Malc "formidable" is an apt description for a generation who gave so much for the rest who followed.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

Long way from a rust bucket. Guy paid Williams two hours labour just to look under the car, not do any work. 3k to clean out every suspension advisory and any that might be next. Another 2k for an array of stuff he wanted all invoiced and present. The interior might have just rolled off the line and in truth has less signs of age than my SC430.

I am not paying him significantly more than he has spent with Williams on this car and in that sense its very much like what Stew did with the Lexus so quietly confident of the buy.

Pics will follow when I have it and give it some of my special buff and wash.

I know when these decisions are good if only because I just don't think about it after the decision has been taken. Reflects than I am happy with the depth of my due diligence.

The Jag arrives later today ! If I was a bit down the other day I am certainly back up on form today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Episodes of road rage of a level where anger and violence overlap or threaten to overlap as distinct from remaining suppressed or confined to verbal or manual gestures of displeasure have become so frequent (especially in northern Europe and the U.S. according to my own observations, though I would be reluctant to make too many distinctions) as to be a societal problem without a solution.  This is because it is simply not human nature to acknowledge personal incompetence or error or proneness to error and forgive these things in others, especially when the scenario, as in the case of public roads, is one of equalised privilege.  The only protection is the avoidance of physical confrontation, and if one feels the onset of potentially excessive anger and frustration in oneself, the best course of action might well be to get off the road as soon as feasible.

19 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

Episodes of road rage of a level where anger and violence overlap or threaten to overlap as distinct from remaining suppressed or confined to verbal or manual gestures of displeasure have become so frequent (especially in northern Europe and the U.S. according to my own observations, though I would be reluctant to make too many distinctions) as to be a societal problem without a solution.  This is because it is simply not human nature to acknowledge personal incompetence or error or proneness to error and forgive these things in others, especially when the scenario, as in the case of public roads, is one of equalised privilege.  The only protection is the avoidance of physical confrontation, and if one feels the onset of potentially excessive anger and frustration in oneself, the best course of action might well be to get off the road as soon as feasible.

But in the real world …….. 😰

Malc 

2 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

Seems to be a common factor as my father never spoke about it to my knowledge and if a war documentary came on to the TV he would just switch it off. I know he remained friends with a couple of the guys he was with right to the end as they would visit each other every once in awhile. Bonds forged in war and all that. I only have one photo of him from that time and it's tiny about 2" sq probably taken with some 'brownie' type camera. It got torn in two and I tried and failed to get it restored and blown up as the photo quality was poor and pixels enlarged make the already poor clarity even worse. Always makes me smile to look at it as true to form he and a friend are boxing !. He was a boxer from a very early age and still boxed in the services. He taught me from age 4 for gods sakes and I cannot say I liked it very much. Getting smacked in the face by someone so much faster than you tends to have that affect (sic). He sounds like a scrapper when in fact he was a very quiet guy, and in truth I doubt he ever started a fight although it is evident he ended some before they ever really got started.

As you say Malc "formidable" is an apt description for a generation who gave so much for the rest who followed.

Same experiences with me. Parents, grandparents, neighbours never ever spoke about the war. Grown up in Holland the German occupation was still "alive"in my childhood but questions were never answered other than "that was a long time ago. It was this deafening silence that did make me realise something really bad big and horrible happened and it was only when i found a bag with foodcoupons and german written forms my father opened up a bit telling me he was in a german labourcamp for 3 years in Bremerhafen building U boat shelters. Conversation abruptly stopped when mother came in she threw the bag away instantly. Later when we went on holiday to spain the first question he asked meeting British of the same generation was Hi, were have you been? I never understood until later in life how these people understood the question and started a conversation about the war and it was like they already knew each other having a beer and patting each other on the shoulder ( he sent me to mum first). Although i was born after it definately influenced me like they say it works through the generations. My children? no luckily not, for them Hitler is Napoleon, too long ago. Good but bad in thesame time as now with Israel look what happens in Europe, are we about to make thesame mistake again?

So many years later here we are complaining about a crappy Lexus satnav.. Talking about putting things in perspective hey!

• Like 1

another piece of this WW2 thingy  ....  my 2nd ex-wife's father was German and had a terrible war at the Front .............. but against Russia ............ the Ukrainians fighting their war now always brings this freshly to mind !

and some of my late uncles ...  in Sudan  ( what did the British Army do there in WW11 ? ) another a paratrooper and dropped into a POW camp somewhere in Germany and another a Tank Engineer at El Alamein at that time too  .  they never, not one, spoke of their travails

Malc

So ,my response to road rage maniac is .....eat this!

I'll be driving this tomorrow and I won't be thinking about you.

Jaguar XK60.jpg

• Like 2

Handsome car. which one is it?  I like it very much and would like one but would be just a bit wary of maintenance especially if it is supercharged. The cobbles look a bit grubby.

• Haha 1

Not supercharged. Did not want that much oomph and of course maintenance. This is the 2008 limited edition celebrating 60 years of manufacture so is of course the XK60.

I just thought I needed an everyday ride besides the Lexus fine weather ride.

• Like 1

But it’s grubby 😂

Will you be using it everyday ? 

Daylight piccys tomorrow please ……. 👍

Malc 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

I just thought I needed an everyday ride besides the Lexus fine weather ride

Too nice for an everyday car. It needs looking after properly. BTW Those cobbles need some care and attention too, they are looking particularly worn and neglected. They are getting on my nerves now.  Aaarggh the pressure in my head. I think it's going to blow!  No! Too late...... get the mop.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

But it’s grubby 😂

Will you be using it everyday ? 

Daylight piccys tomorrow please ……. 👍

Malc 

Needs a wash which it will get tomorrow weather permitting.

Got to say I am a suckered for 20 inch alloys.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

Needs a wash which it will get tomorrow weather permitting

Won't the soap damage the cobbles?

• Haha 1

@Boomer54 So sorry to hear your story. I was brought up in East Manchester & it was as rough as a robbers dog even then but sadly has got even worse. I really detest going back there to see family & friends because of all the low hanging fruit. To be fair it could have happened anywhere but you handled it very well. 
Lovely Jaguar XK60, enjoy it & more pictures please. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, GrumpyCat said:

@Boomer54 So sorry to hear your story. I was brought up in East Manchester & it was as rough as a robbers dog even then but sadly has got even worse. I really detest going back there to see family & friends because of all the low hanging fruit. To be fair it could have happened anywhere but you handled it very well. 
Lovely Jaguar XK60, enjoy it & more pictures please. 

Watch this space for pic  but I need to decent weather day to valet it properly first. Meanwhile yet another owners manual to put me to sleep.

• Haha 1

Wimp ,,,,,,, No piccys yet ……. You’ll p/ex it for that Milk Float before we get piccys 😂

Malc 

2 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Wimp ,,,,,,, No piccys yet ……. You’ll p/ex it for that Milk Float before we get piccys 😂

Malc 

If so, you get to design my uniform.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

If so, you get to design my uniform.

Nooooooo! Another horrible image in my mind.

Thought I'd share my halloween costume of Craggy Island's favourite ...

• Sad 1

After seeing all those cobbled driveways and getting jealous I've just had ours done so that people will admire and love me and my good taste. Here's a pic. Great job lads!

Cobblestone Road- Detail - Canadian Cycling Magazine

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, GMB said:

After seeing all those cobbled driveways and getting jealous I've just had ours done so that people will admire and love me and my good taste. Here's a pic. Great job lads!

Cobblestone Road- Detail - Canadian Cycling Magazine

You actually paid someone to lay those 😰

Malc 

Hello zBoomer54,

Sorry to hear about the situation you were forced in a difficultsituation to by some little ****. Taking advantage of an mature gentle person like yourself. Coward!

Although I live near Manchester. It has its good bits and bad bits, like EVERY place in the UK.

You can take the monkey out of the jungle but you can't take the jungle out of the monkey!!

There is huge frustrations on the roads. Zillions of cars, queues, red lights. Cyclists. Taxi drivers. Buses etc. Which adds to our STRESS levels.

So my advice. Soak it in. You have the beautiful car,put on some chilled music and relax. The nutters we can't control or stop.

BTW everyone wants to race me in my Bentlry especially the Gplf GTI and some BMW drivers, but am not bothered about them.

However, suprisingly for me. now and then I let go on the ls600hl and smile, it's a nice feeling.

Anyway just imagine that nutter must have pulled up against someone, who may have just took a few of his teeth out!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links