Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Road rage a sign of our times

Stephen & Gray & Anybody else interested:   I'm not really a connoisseur of cobblestones but I thought I'd share some pics of those I face every time I drive out from my house (downhill, first photo, and uphill, second photo).  According to local parish records they date from c. 1400 almost certainly using materials recycled from a few centuries before.  So, excellent choice if you're looking for durability.   They are probably less affected by car tyres today than they were by cartwheels in centuries past, so maintenance is low.  A few stones occasionally lift after heavy rain and frost but not dangerously, and the local road people promptly hammer them back in place.  Having said that, I think I can safely say on behalf of my car and my back that a smoother surface would be preferable if less picturesque.

IMG_1452.jpeg

IMG_1454.jpeg

1 hour ago, Rabbers said:

Stephen & Gray & Anybody else interested:   I'm not really a connoisseur of cobblestones but I thought I'd share some pics of those I face every time I drive out from my house (downhill, first photo, and uphill, second photo).  According to local parish records they date from c. 1400 almost certainly using materials recycled from a few centuries before.  So, excellent choice if you're looking for durability.   They are probably less affected by car tyres today than they were by cartwheels in centuries past, so maintenance is low.  A few stones occasionally lift after heavy rain and frost but not dangerously, and the local road people promptly hammer them back in place.  Having said that, I think I can safely say on behalf of my car and my back that a smoother surface would be preferable if less picturesque.

IMG_1452.jpeg

IMG_1454.jpeg

Thats old and it isn't even what we tend to term as cobbled these days. That mixture looks to me more like a hammerstone infill with the edges in a recognisable cobbled array. I love it back be damned.

Excellent  Ancient and enforced Traffic Calming measures even in those halcyon days of cartwheels racing across the cobbles ......... 😉

They look pretty damn good tbh 

Malc

18 hours ago, Newbie777 said:

Anyway just imagine that nutter must have pulled up against someone, who may have just took a few of his teeth out

The good bit is that, with an attitude like his, one day he will.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rabbers said:

I'm not really a connoisseur of cobblestones but

40 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Excellent  Ancient and enforced Traffic Calming measures even in those halcyon days of cartwheels racing across the cobbles

OK,, OK!  Just to let you cobbleophiles know that this is not going to get you promoted above your station. I know this is a wind-up to your sensitive Chairperson ( ME😁 ). You are in severe - repeat SEVERE danger of making this boring subject interesting.

This is NOT the raison d’être of the Boring person's society. Making this boring topic bordering on interesting is, to say the least, akin to perversity ( in the nicest possible way of course ).

Any more misdemeanors like this will be treated most harshly. 

BYW  have you seen that Roman road near Halifax, Blackstone edge? I am thinking of going over there one night and nicking them all to do my driveway.

Paved Roman Road – The Higher Inquiètude

• Thanks 1

Take a lesson from this - even the pictures are black and white ( mostly ) and really .......yawn..... Goodnight.

I am thinking of proposing this chap - John Burke - as honorary member. He certainly knows how to make boring things even more mundane - My hero!  

Any more trouble from you lot and there's more where this came from!      See Below if you can stay awake..

The Roman Road up Blackstone Edge, Littleborough Lancashire

In 1982 I was freelance writing for magazines and for a year or two around this time had a fairly regular series in Lancashire Magazine called John Burke's Curious Lancashire.

20150802c.jpg

In each article I would focus on seven different curiosities - old village pumps, reminders of witchcraft, stocks in churchyards and so on. Anything that was a reminder of times gone by.

romanroad01.jpg

In April 1982 I parked the car up on the moors above Littleborough near Rochdale. I was born and raised in Rochdale and whilst it has been in Greater Manchester since 1974, it is still in Lancashire the geographical region as far as I'm concerned. I started to climb up the hill from the car. Even in 1982 when I was much younger and shaped somewhat like a racing snake I was soon out of breath before I had reached the curiosity I had come to see.

romanroad02.jpg

The gradient here is a hefty one in four - for every four feet horizontally, you climb one foot upwards. The Romans were renowned for taking the shortest route. They wouldn't spend time and money building roads round hills - they just went straight up them and over. And this is a Roman road. Getting on for 2000 years old. Better preserved the farther you climb - because once it became no more than a curiosity, people knackered themselves walking up, saw it and turned back I presume!

20150802d.jpg

There's a good view looking down at any rate! In this photo we are looking straight down over Littleborough to Rochdale and beyond. On the left is local beauty spot, Hollingworth Lake. Where the road can be seen curving round on the right of the photo - that's where I had left the car...

20150802a.jpg

It was impressive. As you get to the better preserved parts you see kerb stones at the edge of the road and a massive gutter in the centre. It may have been just a drainage channel - it does rain a bit at times in Lancashire... It has also been suggested that it could have been to take a brake. I found it tiring enough just walking up on my own. Animals pulling heavy carts or wagons would need a rest going up and would need something to take the weight of the cart or they would be pulled backwards. Carts coming down would need to be held back or the poor animals would be pushed down the hill and crushed by their own loads.

20150802b.jpg

Anyway I was impressed enough to return at a later date with colour film in the camera. I've often thought about going back. But perhaps I'll just have another look at these photos... Ah yes... that will do nicely!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, GMB said:

Take a lesson from this - even the pictures are black and white ( mostly ) and really .......yawn..... Goodnight.

I am thinking of proposing this chap - John Burke - as honorary member. He certainly knows how to make boring things even more mundane - My hero!  

Any more trouble from you lot and there's more where this came from!      See Below if you can stay awake..

In 1982 I was freelance writing for magazines and for a year or two around this time had a fairly regular series in Lancashire Magazine called John Burke's Curious Lancashire.

20150802c.jpg

In each article I would focus on seven different curiosities - old village pumps, reminders of witchcraft, stocks in churchyards and so on. Anything that was a reminder of times gone by.

romanroad01.jpg

In April 1982 I parked the car up on the moors above Littleborough near Rochdale. I was born and raised in Rochdale and whilst it has been in Greater Manchester since 1974, it is still in Lancashire the geographical region as far as I'm concerned. I started to climb up the hill from the car. Even in 1982 when I was much younger and shaped somewhat like a racing snake I was soon out of breath before I had reached the curiosity I had come to see.

romanroad02.jpg

The gradient here is a hefty one in four - for every four feet horizontally, you climb one foot upwards. The Romans were renowned for taking the shortest route. They wouldn't spend time and money building roads round hills - they just went straight up them and over. And this is a Roman road. Getting on for 2000 years old. Better preserved the farther you climb - because once it became no more than a curiosity, people knackered themselves walking up, saw it and turned back I presume!

20150802d.jpg

There's a good view looking down at any rate! In this photo we are looking straight down over Littleborough to Rochdale and beyond. On the left is local beauty spot, Hollingworth Lake. Where the road can be seen curving round on the right of the photo - that's where I had left the car...

20150802a.jpg

It was impressive. As you get to the better preserved parts you see kerb stones at the edge of the road and a massive gutter in the centre. It may have been just a drainage channel - it does rain a bit at times in Lancashire... It has also been suggested that it could have been to take a brake. I found it tiring enough just walking up on my own. Animals pulling heavy carts or wagons would need a rest going up and would need something to take the weight of the cart or they would be pulled backwards. Carts coming down would need to be held back or the poor animals would be pushed down the hill and crushed by their own loads.

20150802b.jpg

Anyway I was impressed enough to return at a later date with colour film in the camera. I've often thought about going back. But perhaps I'll just have another look at these photos... Ah yes... that will do nicely!

Do you know if he has written any articles about old graveyards? Now they are particularly interesting and I kid you not. Sometimes you can find whole family lineages going back donkeys years. If you go into the church you can also relate what you have seen to their register. It's a little bit like peeling back a curtain into history.

Even the writing styles through  time are a joy to see. Older forms are virtually calligraphy and so precise in the way the letters are formed and sized.

It's all a bit too exciting to be a subject for the Boring Men's Club.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

Oh, do you want to see my garden wall rebuild?

IMG_20240128_154453.jpg

IMG_20240130_161209.jpg

Not a bad time of year to being doing that because floating concrete for a base can be tricky in warm weather as it goes off too fast. Are you going to use the old wall to face it off?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

Oh, do you want to see my garden wall rebuild?

Good job! Nicely done with the reinforcement etc.  Actually not boring though....Pity.

1 hour ago, GMB said:

20150802c.jpg

romanroad01.jpg

romanroad02.jpg

20150802d.jpg

20150802a.jpg

20150802b.jpg

at last, the ultimate unimpeded cycle route ……. no car overtaking and they can ride 3 abreast with impunity ……. 

Malc 

20 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

at last, the ultimate unimpeded cycle route ……. no car overtaking and they can ride 3 abreast with impunity …

Lighting the blue touch paper eh Malc? You know we all can't stand bolshy cyclists! Summer's coming ( maybe ) and we can all look forward to the bunches of plonkers blocking the country roads. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

No. Old wall was disposed of in grab lorries.

New one will be brick with some flint panels in homage to old wall.

Good shout on the flint.

2 hours ago, GMB said:

20150802c.jpg

romanroad01.jpg

romanroad02.jpg

20150802d.jpg

20150802a.jpg

20150802b.jpg

But what have the romans ever done for us??

1 hour ago, Boomer54 said:

Do you know if he has written any articles about old graveyards? Now they are particularly interesting and I kid you not. Sometimes you can find whole family lineages going back donkeys years. If you go into the church you can also relate what you have seen to their register. It's a little bit like peeling back a curtain into history.

Even the writing styles through  time are a joy to see. Older forms are virtually calligraphy and so precise in the way the letters are formed and sized.

It's all a bit too exciting to be a subject for the Boring Men's Club.

Fully agree boomer. Its a bit dark and nerdy but look at a graveyard and you look back at local history. I once visited a small village in germany was utterly bored did visit the graveyard and oh boy ww1 and ww2 in your face it was..

6 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

But what have the romans ever done for us??

Brian reckons not a lot, but his followers have lots of valid suggestions😄

On 1/27/2024 at 1:01 PM, GMB said:

Yes they do, the issue is that we have had the last 13 yrs of no real solutions, probably even counter measures against improving the situation.

BTW I did not vote for them. In fact nobody voted for Rishi.

The same people voted for Rishi who voted for Liz, Boris, David, Gordon and Tony - their local parliamentary constituencies. We do not have a presidential system. We elect local MPs. The MP who can command the confidence of House of Commons becomes PM - that would usually be the leader of the largest political party there. 

I do agree though with earlier posts - we’ve given up expecting proper behaviour. Personally I’d pull everyone over with an illegal tint, number plate, loud exhaust etc. The same goes for throwing the book at everyone carrying knives, burglary, theft etc. People need to respect the law again - but I fear it’s going to get much worse before it gets better. 

• Like 3

Finished and claimed by my other car.

Notice the sympathetic echo of the bricks on my house, blending the flint and brick whilst not ignoring the vernacular.

IMG_20240205_154726[1].jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links