Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Two appointments.

26 minutes ago, beyond the blue said:

Just got two appointments through today, one to have a Ghost immobiliser fit and one for a heart bypass operation and I don't know which I'm more worried about.

The latter comes with a very high success rate. Indeed, you are in more danger crossing the road these days.

I won't lie it is going to hurt like hell afterwards when they reflate your lungs and your sternum is mending, but if you are having this OP because you have symptoms of Angina brought about by hardening of the arteries then be aware you are about to be given a second bite at life IF you want to make the most of it post OP.

I was in for a Quintuple bypass (the lot). Had the Op all day Tuesday and I went home Saturday morning clutching my rolled up towel to my chest ( LOL you'll find out what thats for). Initially pretty wiped, but just over a week later I started step ups on the bottom step of the stairs. 3 weeks later I attended Heart whatever they call it for some sessions each week to rebuild my stamina. 6 months later I was doing step ups for 2 hr sessions outside any weather. Actually rains great for cooling you down. That was 13 years ago and literally 3 laps of the world ago.

I did see quite a few people who went through the same OP who really just took it all for granted and could not be bothered to take the gift they had been given. Guess they have been back in and out for stents.

In summary, whilst any operation comes with risk it is in my view a risk to reward well worth taking just get your head in the game and don't flunk the opportunity.

I should say feel free to pm me if there is anything you would like to know about what is coming your way with this. I know it's a bit of a worry. because it is no small thing to undergo.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

My nephew’s a heart surgeon now Consultant ….. brilliant guy …… BUT doubtful common sense, he drives a Polestar   😂

You'll be fine I’m sure, and do take Stephens guidance above ….. you too will get to own an Sc430. a Jag XK AND that Milk Float 

Good luck and best wishes 

Malc 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Neil in 2007 i had a quadruple bypass. It has its risks as any op does the success rate is very good nowadays. Stephen at Boomer posts well. Its seems a slow recovery but you will get stronger and stronger. I grabbed my new given life with both hands looked after myself and hopefully will get a few more years. i hope you get the op quickly. You'll be alright good luck my friend onwards.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ALAW said:

Neil in 2007 i had a quadruple bypass. It has its risks as any op does the success rate is very good nowadays. Stephen at Boomer posts well. Its seems a slow recovery but you will get stronger and stronger. I grabbed my new given life with both hands looked after myself and hopefully will get a few more years. i hope you get the op quickly. You'll be alright good luck my friend onwards.

I booked and paid for a boating holiday in Ireland before the option of an operation was decided. I'm 72 and my son who lives in Australia is coming over to join us on the holiday. I've not seen him for years and it's doubtful that I'll see him again. We go to Ireland mid June and it looks like the operation will be early March. The surgeon told me six weeks for a decent recovery, the timing gives me around 12 weeks to get fit enough to go. I had a knee replacement a few years ago and that took me 9 months to get over after that surgeon told me 3 months. So l'm hoping that 12 weeks for this one will be ok if l take it easy. It's a double bypass.

• Like 1

Good luck with the upcoming op Neil, looks like you’ve had some great advice above about that one.

On the Ghost2 front, mine was fitted last week as planned. All went well, used a chap Ghost themselves suggested who was local to me and he did a great job. Decided I wanted a one man band local installer rather than a national one, as I wanted to know the actual installer and have local back up if ever needed. Very tidy, was careful not to damage any trim etc. Got my TASSA certificate through yesterday. 

16 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

The latter comes with a very high success rate. Indeed, you are in more danger crossing the road these days.

I won't lie it is going to hurt like hell afterwards when they reflate your lungs and your sternum is mending, but if you are having this OP because you have symptoms of Angina brought about by hardening of the arteries then be aware you are about to be given a second bite at life IF you want to make the most of it post OP.

I was in for a Quintuple bypass (the lot). Had the Op all day Tuesday and I went home Saturday morning clutching my rolled up towel to my chest ( LOL you'll find out what thats for). Initially pretty wiped, but just over a week later I started step ups on the bottom step of the stairs. 3 weeks later I attended Heart whatever they call it for some sessions each week to rebuild my stamina. 6 months later I was doing step ups for 2 hr sessions outside any weather. Actually rains great for cooling you down. That was 13 years ago and literally 3 laps of the world ago.

I did see quite a few people who went through the same OP who really just took it all for granted and could not be bothered to take the gift they had been given. Guess they have been back in and out for stents.

In summary, whilst any operation comes with risk it is in my view a risk to reward well worth taking just get your head in the game and don't flunk the opportunity.

I should say feel free to pm me if there is anything you would like to know about what is coming your way with this. I know it's a bit of a worry. because it is no small thing to undergo.

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated.

8 hours ago, beyond the blue said:

it looks like the operation will be early March.

All the very best wishes with that, Neil.  Many years ago I was assured by the Head of Heart Surgery at the John Radcliffe, Oxford that a heart bypass was as near to routine as modern surgery gets.

I take it that stents were not an option in your case, but as Stephen has eloquently described, this bypass is literally the gift of a new lease of Life.  

Apart from that, how are you getting on with the Ghost?  It’s something I considered but in the end didn’t think my eight year old Lexus was a prime target for the local thievery.   But I thought it an impressive piece of kit.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LenT said:

All the very best wishes with that, Neil.  Many years ago I was assured by the Head of Heart Surgery at the John Radcliffe, Oxford that a heart bypass was as near to routine as modern surgery gets.

I take it that stents were not an option in your case, but as Stephen has eloquently described, this bypass is literally the gift of a new lease of Life.  

Apart from that, how are you getting on with the Ghost?  It’s something I considered but in the end didn’t think my eight year old Lexus was a prime target for the local thievery.   But I thought it an impressive piece of kit.

I had 3 stents fitted 12 years ago following a heart attack. I've been having pains for the last couple of years and getting progressively worse. I had an angiogram/camera job done in July last year, they thought maybe one of the stents had collapsed  and that was causing the pain, as it turned out the stents were fine but the camera video shows that one artery is 50% blocked and another 30% blocked. The main blockage is too near to the heart wall to be stented so needs to be bypassed, so doing both. The medication they give me six months ago is superb but the surgeon says it wont last long before the pains will be back. The surgeon is a bit of a joker, he says the main reason for doing the bypass is because he still has a large mortgage to pay off. The car is in for the Ghost at 11.30 this morning.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, beyond the blue said:

I booked and paid for a boating holiday in Ireland before the option of an operation was decided. I'm 72 and my son who lives in Australia is coming over to join us on the holiday. I've not seen him for years and it's doubtful that I'll see him again. We go to Ireland mid June and it looks like the operation will be early March. The surgeon told me six weeks for a decent recovery, the timing gives me around 12 weeks to get fit enough to go. I had a knee replacement a few years ago and that took me 9 months to get over after that surgeon told me 3 months. So l'm hoping that 12 weeks for this one will be ok if l take it easy. It's a double bypass.

Neil, 3 months should be enough to get stamina back. Probably not quite enough in some other respects. Namely, they break your sternum for access purposes. Post OP bone calcifies over break and can start in just a few weeks. That might be enough to roll through coughs and small contacts, but not enough for more serious stuff. You lose muscle post OP and lifting etc will be that bit more tough. In my case I couldn't really get on a weight bench for nearly 18 mths. I did try before that ,but the resultant pressure on my sternum was always there. The rolled up towel I mentioned earlier is to hold against your chest when you cough, because coughing etc stills hurts when the sternum is still freshly broken and has not yet knitted together.

Yoo will also needs to do some stretching as  your chest will feel 'tight', but you cannot get into that until the sternum is really knitting together. If your boating holiday is actually sailing I think some of the physical stuff will be still be quite a struggle at 3 mths. Of course different people different strokes there is always the chance you might get there quicker than I did.

In summary, your stamina and legs get back there a lot quicker than your upper body.

Good luck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beyond the blue said:

I had 3 stents fitted 12 years ago following a heart attack. I've been having pains for the last couple of years and getting progressively worse. I had an angiogram/camera job done in July last year, they thought maybe one of the stents had collapsed  and that was causing the pain, as it turned out the stents were fine but the camera video shows that one artery is 50% blocked and another 30% blocked. The main blockage is too near to the heart wall to be stented so needs to be bypassed, so doing both. The medication they give me six months ago is superb but the surgeon says it wont last long before the pains will be back. The surgeon is a bit of a joker, he says the main reason for doing the bypass is because he still has a large mortgage to pay off. The car is in for the Ghost at 11.30 this morning.

Were the meds Nitrate ?

I was "95% occluded" and on the angiogram you could see the blood flowing away from my heart which is a disturbing sight almost as bad as someone photographing you driving a milk float.

• Haha 2

I had a triple CABG (Conorary Artery By-pass Graft!) 8 years ago. my blockages were 95%, 85% and 70% if I remember correctly. You will not be allowed to drive for 6 weeks after the operation. 

The post op exercise classes are essential to get back your fitness - you may even begin to enjoy them! They will probably take a vein from your leg and use that as the "tube" for the by-pass. It is considered a routine operation, but not to the person who is having it!

As Stephen said above, the main pain you get is from coughing - that is why they give you a rolled towel to hold against your chest. You will feel quite weak for at least 2 weeks.

Please DO NOT attempt any form of exercise until you are told to. I got bored and decided to polish the car roof after 3 weeks - oh did I suffer!

Be a patient patient and your recovery will be quicker! Try not to worry unduly and if they offer you an earlier appointment take it!

Keep us informed how it goes please - all the best!

• Like 5

Neil hi ….. Is there a sensible method to avoid all this heart - ache issues before it just “ grabs one “  ……. leading a specific type of lifestyle …… exercise. stress. foodstuffs whatever ? 

Any thoughts or advice you can suggest ……. what might you have done differently ….. in hindsight ? 

Malc 

17 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Neil hi ….. Is there a sensible method to avoid all this heart - ache issues before it just “ grabs one “  ……. leading a specific type of lifestyle …… exercise. stress. foodstuffs whatever ? 

Any thoughts or advice you can suggest ……. what might you have done differently ….. in hindsight ? 

Malc 

There is no magic bullet. We all know a bit of regular exercise and a decent diet is the way to go, BUT the bad news is a large chunk of this issue is genetic. If you have a heart condition then the likelihood is if you look you will find it is hereditary. On my mothers side for me.

The good news is be aware of whats going on with yourself. Do things seem increasingly difficult beyond what you might expect from aging. Are you getting any pain in the left upper arm etc. with shortness of breath. Classic symptoms of a blood to heart problem that need a urgent look at. if you can get in and prevent the heart attack from happening that's very useful. I actually did not have the heart attack like Neil (god knows how I got that lucky) so a bypass is in my mind (a strange place to be)  just like  putting a fresh set of rubber on a Ferrari.😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Malc 

In my case problems are hereditary, it's the first thing my surgeon asked. My dad had a heart attack aged 54, I was 59 when I had mine. My dad had a left knee replacement aged 60, I was 68 when my left knee was replaced, my daughter has left knee problems aged 41. My dad died of cancer, so that's something for me to look forward too no doubt.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, beyond the blue said:

In my case problems are hereditary, it's the first thing my surgeon asked

I think hereditary and lifestyle are the biggest factors.. My grandmother ( who I never met ) went at 33 - heart attack. My father at 55 ( heart attack ) based on simple maths I expect to depart at 77 ( heart attack ). I've just got a few years left. Non smoker - drinks loads - got a motorbike OMG - it could be any time now!!

I don't mind that having seen some relatives suffer the long decline with C you know what.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GMB said:

I think hereditary and lifestyle are the biggest factors.. My grandmother ( who I never met ) went at 33 - heart attack. My father at 55 ( heart attack ) based on simple maths I expect to depart at 77 ( heart attack ). I've just got a few years left. Non smoker - drinks loads - got a motorbike OMG - it could be any time now!!

I don't mind that having seen some relatives suffer the long decline with C you know what.

It's not a bad way to go really. I was mowing the lawn and slowly sank to my knees, then on to my knees and forehead before rolling on to my side, didn't really hurt that much. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, beyond the blue said:

It's not a bad way to go really. I was mowing the lawn and slowly sank to my knees, then on to my knees and forehead before rolling on to my side, didn't really hurt that much. 

Hang on - this is not a message from beyond the grave I hope.  I sincerely hope you are still with us.

When my father died I was driving home from their house about 20 minutes away and had a really weird feeling  of disorientation! Then I got a phone call telling me he had just popped his clogs - It was very odd!

Anyway, for him it was quick ( ish ) and that's a blessing.

Hi Neil, thinking of you and hope all goes well for you.  Very surprised to hear you need this operation as you looked like a very fit bloke when I met you previously. 

Good Luck

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, beyond the blue said:

Had you finished mowing the lawn , or was it left half long half short?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Boomer54 said:

Had you finished mowing the lawn , or was it left half long half short?

Now then Stephen. This is a very sensitive subject.. Oooh you are awful!  Anyway the Missus will have gone out and finished it off.

1 hour ago, GMB said:

it could be any time now!!

This must be a very encouraging read for any younger members, knowing that some of its most prolific contributors and Lexus owners could pop their clogs at any min

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, LenT said:

This must be a very encouraging read for any younger members, knowing that some of its most prolific contributors and Lexus owners could pop their clogs at any min

or indeed go on for ever and a day and outlast many of the newfangled poorly designed Lexii coming out of the fold …….. the EV for instance 😂

Malc 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links