Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Not starting

DJT

Hi went to start my LS430 today and all I got was a lot of fast clicking. Starter motor didn't even try to turn. Got no warning lights on dash. Took Battery off to charge up. Volts where around 11v after charging volts still never got up to 12v+. So I either have a duff Battery or starter motor. Battery looks to be quite old. Hope to try a jump start tomorrow to rule out starter motor. Also have option of taking Battery to local garage for testing. Is there any thing else I need to check or look at. As starter motor is under inlet manifold I can't do a solenoid bypass with jump leads. If it turns out to be starter motor how much if a pain in the ***** is it to replace. Know I will need inlet gaskets and new connectors as these I understand will break when trying to remove them. 

Thanks

David

• Sad 1

Hi everyone it is Battery that is at fault. Jumped it off a 2 litre car. Taken car for a 40mile round trip after it started. Going to try a start in a couple hours to see if Battery is going to hold charge until I get new Battery delivered. Any preferences on make of Battery. Not going for cheap Battery. Off on Internet to order a Battery

1 hour ago, DJT said:

Hi everyone it is battery that is at fault. Jumped it off a 2 litre car. Taken car for a 40mile round trip after it started. Going to try a start in a couple hours to see if battery is going to hold charge until I get new battery delivered. Any preferences on make of battery. Not going for cheap battery. Off on Internet to order a battery. 

Bosch S4... also Vatra (I believe it is same as Bosch just different sticker). Then also Exide, but in UK they tend to be very pricey for no reason. Panasonic is what probably was fitted from factory, but I have not seen any place selling them.

Would stay away from Yuasa... this is what you would be commonly offered by places like Halfrauds or KwikFrauds. In my experience you lucky if they last their warranty period. 

• Sad 1

I’ve never had a problem with Yusua …… and got my latest one from a local Motor Factor,  GSF ? for £166 5 yr warranty 

the last one on my “ new to me” 91 Ls400 was 8 yrs old before it went kaput ….. again a Yusua 

Malc 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Spock66 said:

I think duff Battery, 11V is pretty much useless to start a big V8

yes 11volts is much too low. Just FYI a big v8 is not hard to start and requires very little energy - probably due to the exquisite balancing of the engine. It would be interesting to see the Physics of it.  Now try to start a high compression 1900cc V twin - that is a big effort for the starter. Even a brand new Battery almost stalls at the compression stroke.

3 hours ago, Malc1 said:

I’ve never had a problem with Yusua

Yuasa has been good for me too. The problem is that times change and company's products change too. So it's always a lottery what to buy. A bit like restaurants and chefs - you can't guarantee anything at any time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GMB said:

It would be interesting to see the Physics of it.

The key factors in the physics would be number of cylinders, displacement and compression ratio.  I don't believe how smooth and well balanced the engine may be would be a factor in the force required to crank the engine.

Over the years I bought several batteries for my 98MY Ls400 from Lexus and theirs was the best price too.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links