Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

All the stuff in the boot!

Having just received my NX450h+., I'm puzzled by all the paraphernalia in the boot. (This is my first hybrid so not used to charging, etc.)

As well as the 13 amp charging cable and a thicker orange charging cable which I assume is for fast charging points, there is a screwdriver, a European Safety Kit, a large mesh carry bag for the charging cables, and a bag with gloves and large cloth.

The large mesh carry bag has a solid moulded base meaning it won't fit in the space under the boot floor where you're advised you can put the cables!! What am I missing here? What have you done with yours?

The European Safety Kit is almost too large to go under the boot floor further in, where there is a moulded area with spaces for all sorts of mysterious items I don't have, but I can just make it work. Then there is nowhere obvious to put the bag with gloves and large cloth other than stuffing it into a tight, wrongly shaped space, or where the cables go.

Am I missing something or are these things not really designed to fit in the spaces they've provided for them?

The good thing is, apart from awaiting a second key fob and a sticky filler cap, this is my only problem with the car so far...

Errr, interesting. Mine came with the 2 cables and screwdriver but no European Safety Kit. I did get a bag but it's not big enough or the right shape for cables so I've never been sure about its intended purpose. Although the cables do fit under the boot floor, I have given up putting them there as it's too awkward to get them out every day or so.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Harrier Man said:

Errr, interesting. Mine came with the 2 cables and screwdriver but no European Safety Kit. I did get a bag but it's not big enough or the right shape for cables so I've never been sure about its intended purpose. Although the cables do fit under the boot floor, I have given up putting them there as it's too awkward to get them out every day or so.

Likewise. I kept the cables in the bag (bit of a wrestle to get them in!) and stored them in the boot. Eventually put them below the boot floor without the bag but also got fed up getting them out and in so they are back in the bag in the boot! Certainly didn't get a European safety kit and guess this must be a requirement now.

• Like 2

I've often wondered what the empty slots are for on my more modest 300h. On checking my manual just now, there is section that shows what goes where (some of it is optional on my model year). I have learned that we can stow the parcel shelf (luggage cover) under the floor. 🙂

The manual for your model (around page 334) has some information, but it is quite vague (see image below). 😐 It does confirm on the page after this that you can also stow the luggage cover too (as long as you haven't stuffed all those extra cables in a bag I guess?!).

Screenshot 2024-02-02 180517.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Timbobobcat said:

As well as the 13 amp charging cable and a thicker orange charging cable which I assume is for fast charging points

Orange is not for “fast charging points”, plug-in hybrids do not support what is called “fast DC charging”. It is a type 2 cable for charging using home charger, 30 amp, I have installed one in my driveway. It he cable would also work at “destination chargers” (at a hotel etc), although with plug-in it is not that important  

13 amp is called “granny charger”. I don’t this as I have a 30amp charger, so I put it away and keep only the orange cable in the car as my charger is untethered. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Serguei said:

Orange is not for “fast charging points”, plug-in hybrids do not support what is called “fast DC charging”. It is a type 2 cable for charging using home charger, 30 amp, I have installed one in my driveway. It he cable would also work at “destination chargers” (at a hotel etc), although with plug-in it is not that important  

13 amp is called “granny charger”. I don’t this as I have a 30amp charger, so I put it away and keep only the orange cable in the car as my charger is untethered. 

Thanks, useful to know!

15 hours ago, ArneT said:

I've often wondered what the empty slots are for on my more modest 300h. On checking my manual just now, there is section that shows what goes where (some of it is optional on my model year). I have learned that we can stow the parcel shelf (luggage cover) under the floor. 🙂

The manual for your model (around page 334) has some information, but it is quite vague (see image below). 😐 It does confirm on the page after this that you can also stow the luggage cover too (as long as you haven't stuffed all those extra cables in a bag I guess?!).

Screenshot 2024-02-02 180517.png

Thanks, yes it is quite vague in the manual.

I also did not get any EU safety kit but had one from previous car. Important to note that it must be accessible within the car. If you have luggage, then under the boot would be illegal, certainly in Spain. Also soon needed is a LED flasher that can be placed on the roof in place of the yellow triangles. That, at least is less trouble than having the warning triangles under your feet.  Some English speaking Garda run an excellent website advising U.K. drivers https://n332.es/tag/warning-triangles/ 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BillSt said:

I also did not get any EU safety kit but had one from previous car. Important to note that it must be accessible within the car. If you have luggage, then under the boot would be illegal, certainly in Spain. Also soon needed is a led flasher that can be placed on the roof in place of the yellow triangles. That, at least is less trouble than having the warning triangles under your feet.  Some English speaking Garda run an excellent website advising U.K. drivers https://n332.es/tag/warning-triangles/ 

Useful to know, thanks.

On 2/2/2024 at 10:33 AM, Timbobobcat said:

Having just received my NX450h+., I'm puzzled by all the paraphernalia in the boot. (This is my first hybrid so not used to charging, etc.)

If this is a new vehicle, Tim, I would have expected the Sales Staff to have given you a detailed handover that would cover such questions.  And then to remain in contact so that they can deal with the new queries that become apparent after a few days driving.

After all,  it takes time to discover what you don’t know that you don’t know!  For many drivers it’s a journey of discovery that’s all part of the pleasure of ownership.

And much as I am an advocate of reading the Manual, it can be a dry old tome, totally devoid of even the odd chuckle.

1 minute ago, LenT said:

If this is a new vehicle, Tim, I would have expected the Sales Staff to have given you a detailed handover that would cover such questions.  And then to remain in contact so that they can deal with the new queries that become apparent after a few days driving.

After all,  it takes time to discover what you don’t know that you don’t know!  For many drivers it’s a journey of discovery that’s all part of the pleasure of ownership.

Thanks, yes I did get a handover which included the boot items but they were all wrapped in plastic so the problems with sizes, shapes etc weren’t apparent. I can go back and ask them about this but I thought I’d get a more useful answer from other users here!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Timbobobcat said:

I can go back and ask them about this but I thought I’d get a more useful answer from other users here!

And I’m sure you will…but not from me as Lexus MK has never managed to persuade me to change my IS250 for a newer model!

However, in case you are not aware of them, there is a major Lexus dealer in America who has produced a very detailed and well presented series of videos on Lexus cars.

Obviously there may be differences between the two markets, but they are doing what UK dealers should be doing - if not Lexus themselves!  Any way, if you’ve not seen it I hope it proves informative.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just found two further NX videos for the 2022 - 2024 models.

Again these may have variations for the American market, but I notice that many of the items demonstrated still apply to my IS250.

I expect most of this will be known to the seasoned Lexus owner, but there’s often a new nugget of information that will surprise.  And as I say,  I’m not aware of anyone in the UK producing anything comparable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

In relation to the car safety kit, there is no slot in the boot for it because it needs to be stored in the cabin (or at least the reflective jackets and warning triangle need to be) in order to comply with French law.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links