Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tappet sound

14 hours ago, Newbie777 said:

From what I can recall the tapetting noise is coming from near the oil cap. Does not  occur when car is cold and does go away and apparent when it is electric mode only.

Just to be clear about the noise in electric mode only - is the noise apparent when it is electric mode only or is it 'not' apparent when it is electric mode only?
I remember a video by The Car Care Nut on a Toyota V8, can't remember if it was the 2UR-FSE though, and there was a noise caused by one of the Timing Chain hydraulic tensioners. LH side only iirc (passenger side in the UK)
The issue was that the hydraulic tensioner was stuck and wasn't putting tension on the timing chain guide so it was slack. Not slack enough for the chain to come off though, the tensioner can't go all the way back in because of a locking mechanism which is a failsafe. Can't remember what the noise sounded like or whether the noise was from cold or when warm.
Maybe this is worth investigating though.

• Like 1

Hello, Have a look at this in the RX forum. It sounds potentially a bit like the same problem ( or similar). This thread goes on for quite a while but it was eventually found to be one of the injectors 'misfiring'. I had the same problem and had it fixed bt changing one of the port injectors (used for cold start I believe)

Hope this helps

Bri

• Like 1

While i do recommend 0w20 vs 5w30 .I don't think your noise is due to the oil. Its probably something else. Perhaps have a garage diagnose it. It sounds to me like something might be lose like the heat shield on the exhaust manifold but it could just as easily be something else that is faulty and needs replacement. If you like experimenting maybe run an injector/fuel system cleaner through the system to see if that helps in case its a sticky injector. Lexus sell one as well https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/product/lexus-petrol-fuel-system-cleaner/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Razor61 said:

Just to be clear about the noise in electric mode only - is the noise apparent when it is electric mode only or is it 'not' apparent when it is electric mode only?
I remember a video by The Car Care Nut on a Toyota V8, can't remember if it was the 2UR-FSE though, and there was a noise caused by one of the Timing Chain hydraulic tensioners. LH side only iirc (passenger side in the UK)
The issue was that the hydraulic tensioner was stuck and wasn't putting tension on the timing chain guide so it was slack. Not slack enough for the chain to come off though, the tensioner can't go all the way back in because of a locking mechanism which is a failsafe. Can't remember what the noise sounded like or whether the noise was from cold or when warm.
Maybe this is worth investigating though.

The car is totally silent in electric or EV mode.

You can't hear the noise when cold or upon startup.

3 hours ago, Brian26 said:

Hello, Have a look at this in the RX forum. It sounds potentially a bit like the same problem ( or similar). This thread goes on for quite a while but it was eventually found to be one of the injectors 'misfiring'. I had the same problem and had it fixed bt changing one of the port injectors (used for cold start I believe)

Hope this helps

Bri

Thanks, that is helpful and yes I will look into the RX forum

3 hours ago, Notamech said:

While i do recommend 0w20 vs 5w30 .I don't think your noise is due to the oil. Its probably something else. Perhaps have a garage diagnose it. It sounds to me like something might be lose like the heat shield on the exhaust manifold but it could just as easily be something else that is faulty and needs replacement. If you like experimenting maybe run an injector/fuel system cleaner through the system to see if that helps in case its a sticky injector. Lexus sell one as well https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/product/lexus-petrol-fuel-system-cleaner/

I think the noise is def more click or tappety like, so I think it is mechanical I  agree maybe it's not oil as it intermittent.

I don't mind trying the fuel additive, will first find out exactly where and how often the noise is coming from. Besides this  noise the rest of the engine sounds perfect. The car runs smooth and quiet when not in ev or electric mode. I guess that is the excellent damping.

Will also hook it up to OBD too

1 minute ago, Newbie777 said:

I think the noise is def more click or tappety like, so I think it is mechanical I  agree maybe it's not oil as it intermittent.

Ok on the video it sounds like a rattle. The injectors typically make a tick like that of an auto igniting cooking stove. 

If it is the hydraulic lifters then that sound is normally only there around 10-20 seconds when cold starting and doesn't come back again until the next cold start. Your noise seems to be there intermittently right? 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Notamech said:

Ok on the video it sounds like a rattle. The injectors typically make a tick like that of an auto igniting cooking stove. 

If it is the hydraulic lifters then that sound is normally only there around 10-20 seconds when cold starting and doesn't come back again until the next cold start. Your noise seems to be there intermittently right? 

Yes it is intermittent, but what I have not managed to do is get you guys some hard facts, where exactly is the noise  coming from, when does it start, does it finish by itself, a better recording of the noise etc,also as it is a hybrid as soon as the motor is charged is stays in electric for quite a while, so just need to time it right.

Also I really need to check if it occurs open startup as you can imagine as the choke is on, it is a bit noiser, but don't recall being able to hear it, weird? 

I don't mind trying the fuel additive.

Just switched engine on, after not starting car for 3 days, no noise upon startup, gets warm and revs drop slightly, then goes into electric mode and rpm is zero.

So only when the car is warm? 

Tomorrow I will drive it and then when it gets warm see if I can get closer to the noise and where it is coming from... so much to do and so little time!!

Hi 

It was mentioned earlier in the thread to buy a mechanics stethoscope. This is a really good suggestion. When I previously worked as a mechanic, it was a really useful piece of equipment. 

It could save you a lot of time and make finding the issue easier. Screwfix for example has one (Silverline) for £9.29. 

Silverline 154006 Mechanics Stethoscope

• Like 2

Hi mate,

I have a LS600h as well and can tell you the sound is because of a timing chain tensioner issue. 

I have attached the TSB from Toyota on the issue but be advised that in order to fix this issue outside warranty is 20 book hours excluding parts. 

Your engine will not be blowing up and I don’t expect the issue to cause issues for the near future, the issue is covered in depth in this video. The LS600h has the 2UR-FSE however the design is the same as the 3UR-FE hence the same issue with the timing chain tensioner.

Hope this helps.

We should really make a sticky with all the common issues as another issue is the valley plate coolant leak which affects the Toyota V8’s as well. 

EG-0031L-0516.pdf

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yingyz said:

Hi mate,

I have a LS600h as well and can tell you the sound is because of a timing chain tensioner issue. 

I have attached the TSB from Toyota on the issue but be advised that in order to fix this issue outside warranty is 20 book hours excluding parts. 

Your engine will not be blowing up and I don’t expect the issue to cause issues for the near future, the issue is covered in depth in this video. The LS600h has the 2UR-FSE however the design is the same as the 3UR-FE hence the same issue with the timing chain tensioner.

Hope this helps.

We should really make a sticky with all the common issues as another issue is the valley plate coolant leak which affects the Toyota V8’s as well. 

EG-0031L-0516.pdf 112.98 kB · 1 download

Thank you, this helps a lot.

The damn engine warms up and then no noise heard as it goes to electric mode and silent!

So looks like it had the issue when I bought the car and it has done 222k miles so am good with that.

I will still be checking it out as soon as I can with more details to follow.

Thanks again.

Btw how old is your car and how many miles has it covered?

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 10:51 PM, Newbie777 said:

Thanks, I work away from home and don't take the cars, so when I am home, I will get this looked into.

From what I can recall the tapetting noise is coming from near the oil cap. Does not  occur when car is cold and does go away and apparent when it is electric mode only.

Tried all day today, when cold, after motorway, when stationary bit no noise.

Really don't understand jow it  has just disppeared??

46 minutes ago, Newbie777 said:

Lexii often self heal you know 😄  it’s a known fact from many years experience on this Forum 

Turn off the worry and now just sit back and enjoy your amazing, comparatively inexpensive to run and maintain Ls600  👍

Malc 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newbie777 said:

Maybe the tensioner causing the issue has freed itself and may stick again. The video posted by Ying Zhu by the car care nut is the one I mentioned earlier and remembered watching.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

Lexii often self heal you know 😄  it’s a known fact from many years experience on this Forum 

Turn off the worry and now just sit back and enjoy your amazing, comparatively inexpensive to run and maintain Ls600  👍

Malc 

Totally agree Malc,

I tried at different times too. But your right I must let it go, long live the Lexus❤️

I was driving on the motorway today for 30miles each way and had some fun in hybrid power, did a few overtakes and it has masses of unreserved power so could easily get you in trouble🤣😃

Also checked oil and it is still the same gold colour as it was new over 200 miles a ago, so I am happy about that.

Finally thanks to everyone who have helped on this forum.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Razor61 said:

Maybe the tensioner causing the issue has freed itself and may stick again. The video posted by Ying Zhu by the car care nut is the one I mentioned earlier and remembered watching.

Yes I watched that thanks and it makes sense, I think that is what it is too, but now not  worried at all 😃

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links