Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS250 Radiator cap fell apart

I heard a weird rattle when idling which seemed to be coming from that housing beneath the radiator cap.

Took it off and saw this.

image.thumb.png.d2606ef17e2e9f6ffbb952b437d4bfb4.png

All the gubbins had fell inside that chamber.

I tried to remove the Thermostat but my goodness, that bottom bolt is a swine to reach as there is a hose in the way. Without a third arm, I gave up and removed the pipe on the right hand side

Got the pin out

image.thumb.png.e8a60af3e35846e67efb7887a6faec51.png

The next part was properly wedged inside

image.thumb.png.78ea5fe7c46dda4b1d79a12cbbef4f1b.png

Got it out after an age of swearing and jabbing

image.thumb.png.b4d40ef9c26bbee7d8b5dbef3b339c60.png

Replacement cost #10 from amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B8YUASE?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

You can see the brown waxy type substance which split on both the cap and the bit between the spring and pin.

I gess just age, 2008 car with 136,000 miles.

Now I'm concerned that some of that waxy stuff has wandered off into the coolant system, no doubt to find a nice place to block coolant flow.
I'd still like to remove the thermostat as that seems a likely place for anything to drop into.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 2/14/2024 at 5:21 PM, chr15gb said:

I heard a weird rattle when idling which seemed to be coming from that housing beneath the radiator cap.

Took it off and saw this.

image.thumb.png.d2606ef17e2e9f6ffbb952b437d4bfb4.png

All the gubbins had fell inside that chamber.

I tried to remove the Thermostat but my goodness, that bottom bolt is a swine to reach as there is a hose in the way. Without a third arm, I gave up and removed the pipe on the right hand side

Got the pin out

image.thumb.png.e8a60af3e35846e67efb7887a6faec51.png

The next part was properly wedged inside

image.thumb.png.78ea5fe7c46dda4b1d79a12cbbef4f1b.png

Got it out after an age of swearing and jabbing

image.thumb.png.b4d40ef9c26bbee7d8b5dbef3b339c60.png

Replacement cost #10 from Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B8YUASE?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

You can see the brown waxy type substance which split on both the cap and the bit between the spring and pin.

I gess just age, 2008 car with 136,000 miles.

Now I'm concerned that some of that waxy stuff has wandered off into the coolant system, no doubt to find a nice place to block coolant flow.
I'd still like to remove the thermostat as that seems a likely place for anything to drop into.

After the problems you have had I would buy one from Lexus or the local  motor factor, rather than the rubbish you get on amazon...

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 5:21 PM, chr15gb said:

Replacement cost #10 from Amazon

If it's a genuine BluePrint product then it should be ok  ......  BUT I'm not a great fan of their stuff tbh

I replaced such a cap on an earlier Ls400 from an established Motor Factor tho ........... many years back, can't remember the price but it was much less expensive than from my local Lexus Spares Dept ......  sadly that car's long gone !

Malc

I won't defend the amazon blueprint one but it fits and has survived a few decent trips. 

I was just about to get rid of the car but after being offered £1,800 in part ex I decided to go home and think about it for the evening. 

Between leaving the dealer at 5pm and calling them back the following morning someone had bought the one I was looking at online without viewing. 

Looks like I'll keep the is250 for a little while longer. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links