Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New owner questions!

15 minutes ago, Stever750 said:

OK thanks for the info and advice. Conclusion is I'll probably stick with my phone. 

I use a phone holder that goes into the CD slot (since I don't listen to CDs) and it makes quite a neat installation as I don't really like the phone up on the windscreen. It does mean looking down slightly to see Google Maps on the phone, not as ideal as the dash display, but not too bad. Search for something like "cd slot phone mount" on the likes of amazon. Also, if you haven't found it already, the 12V aux socket is in the armrest cubby at the front. I plug a USB charger into that and then the USB cable can be LED out of the front under the armrest lid in a special slot under the left hand side of the lid and up to the phone. There are two USB ports (and an aux one) down there too - but the USB ports are very low charging ones (I use one for my music on a USB stick, but you need one of the small thumbnail sticks ideally otherwise it fouls the lid). If you run Google Maps on the phone plugged into one of the two USB ports however the phone Battery will still drain but slower. If you plug the phone into the 12V accessory socket then the phone will charge even whilst running Google Maps (assuming you have a reasonable USB charger in there). 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

I use a phone holder that goes into the CD slot (since I don't listen to CDs) and it makes quite a neat installation as I don't really like the phone up on the windscreen. It does mean looking down slightly to see Google Maps on the phone, not as ideal as the dash display, but not too bad. Search for something like "cd slot phone mount" on the likes of Amazon. Also, if you haven't found it already, the 12V aux socket is in the armrest cubby at the front. I plug a USB charger into that and then the USB cable can be led out of the front under the armrest lid in a special slot under the left hand side of the lid and up to the phone. There are two USB ports (and an aux one) down there too - but the USB ports are very low charging ones (I use one for my music on a USB stick, but you need one of the small thumbnail sticks ideally otherwise it fouls the lid). If you run Google Maps on the phone plugged into one of the two USB ports however the phone battery will still drain but slower. If you plug the phone into the 12V accessory socket then the phone will charge even whilst running Google Maps (assuming you have a reasonable USB charger in there). 

Same like you I use a cd player phone mount. And it does take some adjusting to get it just right so that you dont take your eyes off the road. Before i bought the mount i would just use a sticky pad and rest my phone horizontally in front of the factory screen this way it wouldn't slip and the position is perfect honestly but the downside is you end up covering the factory screen and in the summer heat one of the sticky pads melted so that's a no go anymore. Plus with the cd player phone mount i can switch orientation to vertical if i feel like.

• Like 2

I used the 12V socket on the Superb to power a second phone, and a cable for my wife's Iphone and for my Garmin watch. I'll need one of the sockets to power a Garmin dashcam too. Sounds like plenty of options. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Stever750 said:

I used the 12V socket on the Superb to power a second phone, and a cable for my wife's iPhone and for my Garmin watch. I'll need one of the sockets to power a Garmin dashcam too. Sounds like plenty of options. 

You will probably need to buy one of those 12v chargers with multiple outlets. As the is300h has only 1 12V socket and 2 usb slots. The usb slots are very low power and useless for charging anything, they're mainly meant for plugging in pen drives. I have a dash cam too and got an anker charger with 2 usb outs. These days you get fancier ones which have many outlets with fast charging speeds and they aren't too expensive. Something like this for example  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-Adapter-Compatible-Android-recorder/dp/B0832GZRH1/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?content-id=amzn1.sym.ffba1838-22a2-477e-bd96-71d7a67be19c%3Aamzn1.sym.ffba1838-22a2-477e-bd96-71d7a67be19c&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.mIP3x_ZUI44jscZAAp_F8Glz4zvu3U5gLTKhEfhYr-Nu4p_-B30UOtnDV9QKfKY5-4Pe-qvlZUjAS7y2DhVsGwnUJC9Cdi41DwDudohpQF6kycHe7FGxUT3y97_Nyjvd1h_4jq8e7z2c9O846APkHTqsKfeMs1qaLwx-DBrQwTHtkp-nMWrWLlbGKB23UtCvUjptJ_Ima3gwnJLOOmDluQ.6v7mHL2iONjtWv9r7lxtbsjuqwT-E1iG1MA0IObtMBs&dib_tag=se&keywords=12v+usb&pd_rd_r=f7c7be20-0fe8-4f86-b95b-b5de74f69652&pd_rd_w=KOjU2&pd_rd_wg=xAwVf&pf_rd_p=ffba1838-22a2-477e-bd96-71d7a67be19c&pf_rd_r=TTKRGY9ETZM0FBZYXXPW&qid=1708541135&sr=8-17

Thanks I have a pass through with 3 usb ports and a voltage display (so I could check initially what the dashcam was doing. On the Superb I plugged both front and rear cams into a switchable ODB2 plug and then ran all of the cables in the trim. Depending on where it is on the IS assuming there even is one I'll do the same. 

Sorry more questions. Not sure this will work given the ventilation system, though I never used heated seats on any car I've had with the fitted, but I'd like to fit seat covers. Though given the amount of wear on the drivers seat it seem a bit pointless, but I know it makes a big difference to the next owners having a clean interior; and I use my car as a mobile office. Again any recommendations? I will also look at the prices from the company that supplied the Superb covers which were for the money excellent quality. 

I have to say, this is one of the most helpful forums that I've participated in, even better than the Briskoda forums which are very good. It's nice to see helpful patience and thoughtful comments, a rarity on social media. Maybe a reflection of the users demograph. 

• Like 2

I know what you mean and agree with the helpfulness of people here. I had a Mercedes previously and everyone was only arguing on those forums. While Lexus itself may have lost a bit of the stellar service quality that it was once known for, the quality of Lexus owners certainly shines through here 😀 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stever750 said:

Thanks I have a pass through with 3 usb ports and a voltage display (so I could check initially what the dashcam was doing. On the Superb I plugged both front and rear cams into a switchable ODB2 plug and then ran all of the cables in the trim. Depending on where it is on the IS assuming there even is one I'll do the same. 

ODB2 socket (if that's what you are looking for) is under the dash on the drivers side below the steering wheel - easiest to kneel down out of the door and look under the dash to locate it. The TPMS reset button is also in the same vicinity if you ever need that - again hard to find unless you get your head right under the dash. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

ODB2 socket (if that's what you are looking for) is under the dash on the drivers side below the steering wheel - easiest to kneel down out of the door and look under the dash to locate it. The TPMS reset button is also in the same vicinity if you ever need that - again hard to find unless you get your head right under the dash. 

Similar location to every VAG I've owned, except for the TPMS which was in the infotainment! 

18 minutes ago, Notamech said:

I know what you mean and agree with the helpfulness of people here. I had a Mercedes previously and everyone was only arguing on those forums. While Lexus itself may have lost a bit of the stellar service quality that it was once known for, the quality of Lexus owners certainly shines through here 😀 

I think so. If I'm honest I've not been impressed with lexus Cardiff. They're not as organised and knowledgeable as either Capitol Skoda in Newport or Fred Rees in Haverfordwest (my home town). Latter know the history of all of their used stock mostly because Pembrokeshire is a circular automotive economy. I don't have much confidence in the lexus used approved or "select" scheme from what I've seen. No one knows the provenance of these cars as I suspect they view a 20k used sale as relatively low priority, and the two guys showing me the cars were amazed that I'd suspected at least one (maybe all tbh) have been taxis. 

Anyway, I'm trusting the fabled lexus reliability that I haven't bought a complete dog, and that anything with select used approved means a warranty reset. 

I picked it up earlier and just got home so a 95 mile trip, mostly M4 and DC and a bit of A trunk. 44.5 mpg is welcome, that's cruising at an indicated 80 which is 75gps.

Headlights are fine, better than I expected and a lot better than the Skoda. Took me a while to find a comfy seat position, but the Skoda vrs sports, seat are excellent in that respect so difficult to equal the let alone better them. 

Biggest gripe is on-centre steering feel. One of the worst I've tried in years tbh. I am a bit sensitised to steering feel as I worked for a steering and suspension tier 1 some years ago, and spent a lot of time analysing it. Wife's auris is similar, new corolla I tried was much better. Otherwise happy with it, managed to work out the major controls without too much difficulty, though trying the learn how to operate the CC whilst driving wasn't quite as successful. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stever750 said:

I picked it up earlier and just got home so a 95 mile trip, mostly M4 and DC and a bit of A trunk. 44.5 mpg is welcome, that's cruising at an indicated 80 which is 75gps.

Headlights are fine, better than I expected and a lot better than the Skoda. Took me a while to find a comfy seat position, but the Skoda vrs sports, seat are excellent in that respect so difficult to equal the let alone better them. 

Biggest gripe is on-centre steering feel. One of the worst I've tried in years tbh. I am a bit sensitised to steering feel as I worked for a steering and suspension tier 1 some years ago, and spent a lot of time analysing it. Wife's auris is similar, new corolla I tried was much better. Otherwise happy with it, managed to work out the major controls without too much difficulty, though trying the learn how to operate the CC whilst driving wasn't quite as successful. 

By CC do you mean climate control - if so for all the years I've had mine I've just pressed Auto and set the temperature between 18/20 in summer and around 22 in winter and the car has kept me comfortable. 

35 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

By CC do you mean climate control - if so for all the years I've had mine I've just pressed Auto and set the temperature between 18/20 in summer and around 22 in winter and the car has kept me comfortable. 

Cruise Control. 

I mastered the other cc before I left! 

23 minutes ago, Stever750 said:

Cruise Control. 

I mastered the other cc before I left! 

Yeah that one is a bit tricky first you got to put it cruse control mode then set the speed or something like that basically a 2 step process. I keep forgetting too because i do long trips occasionally and by the time the next long trip rolls around ive forgotten how to use it and have to figure it out again while driving. Not fun.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Stever750 said:

It's the 5mph increments that I struggled with, and couldn't figure out how to increase the resolution. 

On my pre-FL car 1 mph increments are made by a short up or down movement of the the cruise control lever (once set and cruising) - however IIRC there was something about post FL cars being different - hopefully someone with a post FL car can comment. 

3 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

On my pre-FL car 1 mph increments are made by a short up or down movement of the the cruise control lever (once set and cruising) - however IIRC there was something about post FL cars being different - hopefully someone with a post FL car can comment. 

If you have dynamic CC then it increments in 5 mph blocks. If you wanted to just increase by 1 or 2 mph then use the throttle to increase the speed and ‘set’ the speed again.

Alternatively you can long press the CC button to enable standard CC which increments in 1 mph (but obviously doesn’t automatically slow down with the traffic ahead). 

10 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

If you have dynamic CC then it increments in 5 mph blocks. If you wanted to just increase by 1 or 2 mph then use the throttle to increase the speed and ‘set’ the speed again.

Alternatively you can long press the CC button to enable standard CC which increments in 1 mph (but obviously doesn’t automatically slow down with the traffic ahead). 

My current model IS has the standard parts bin Toyota dynamic CC, flick the lever up/down for a 1km//h / 1 mph adjustment each flick, or hold up/down for multiple 5 km/h / 5 mph adjustment(s).

For constant speed CC, flicking the lever gives the same outcome as for dynamic CC above, while holding the lever results in a continuous speed change..

51 minutes ago, hieronymous said:

My current model IS has the standard parts bin Toyota dynamic CC, flick the lever up/down for a 1km//h / 1 mph adjustment each flick, or hold up/down for multiple 5 km/h / 5 mph adjustment(s).

For constant speed CC, flicking the lever gives the same outcome as for dynamic CC above, while holding the lever results in a continuous speed change..

Depends on country. The OP is specifically discussing a UK vehicle 

• The vehicle will accelerate in increments of approximately 1 km/h or 1 mph for each time the switch is moved.*1

• The vehicle will accelerate in increments of approximately 5 km/h or 5 mph for each time the switch is moved.*2

*1: Except models for Europe

*2: Models for Europe

OK, so the CC worked fine as explained, though it will work in AC mode at whatever speed you set it at, but then jumps to nearest 5mph increment if you use the lever to adjust it. 

Other observations, the cabin temp settings, are way off. I had mine set to 24C and it was still slightly chilly. There's an annoying cool blast from the side window demist vent on the dash, which 8s fixed by switching from auto (A/C off though) to air up and down. Even so, it seems to run cool unless it's a symptom of an underlying fault? 

On a positive note, I managed 47mpg from west Wales to Birmingham this afternoon, using M4 and M50 route. Mostly cruising at an indicated 80 which is 75 gps on E10. The display average eco though seemed a bit odd, I stopped at Monmouth for a coffee, and the average shot up after starting off again as if it had been reset (it hadn't). In any case, at thd end of the journey the since reset and since refuel were close, as I reset it not long after filling it up. I'll try to remember doing a brim to brim to check the accuracy. 

The DAB part of the radio isn't, so had to rely on FM, not sure why that wouldn't work. 

5 hours ago, Stever750 said:

OK, so the CC worked fine as explained, though it will work in AC mode at whatever speed you set it at, but then jumps to nearest 5mph increment if you use the lever to adjust it. 

Other observations, the cabin temp settings, are way off. I had mine set to 24C and it was still slightly chilly. There's an annoying cool blast from the side window demist vent on the dash, which 8s fixed by switching from auto (A/C off though) to air up and down. Even so, it seems to run cool unless it's a symptom of an underlying fault? 

On a positive note, I managed 47mpg from west Wales to Birmingham this afternoon, using M4 and M50 route. Mostly cruising at an indicated 80 which is 75 gps on E10. The display average eco though seemed a bit odd, I stopped at Monmouth for a coffee, and the average shot up after starting off again as if it had been reset (it hadn't). In any case, at thd end of the journey the since reset and since refuel were close, as I reset it not long after filling it up. I'll try to remember doing a brim to brim to check the accuracy. 

The DAB part of the radio isn't, so had to rely on FM, not sure why that wouldn't work. 

Climate control doesn't sound quite right to me. I have always just leave mine on Auto (with A/C on) and all vents open. I point the side vents to the side windows and the centre vents towards each other in the centre of the car and slightly up (unless I went it to my body). Never felt anything blowing unintended on my body that way but the Auto does what it needs to in order to maintain the set temperature. I generally set it to around 20C in warm weather and 18C if it gets very hot outside. In cooler weather around 22C and if it's really cold might up it to 24C for a while. There are some settings for climate control to do with how strong the fan works at (mines left on default) which if someone has altered it may play a part. Also when the car is in Eco mode that puts the climate control in an Eco mode too (automatically). It's more powerful in Normal and Sport modes. There is also the S-flow button that controls whether the rear of the car gets air through to it or not - worth reading the manual for all of that.

The mpg sounds spot on and so everything with the engine / hybrid sounds like it's working as it should. There are a few averages you can look at for consumption. Each time you restart the car, per fill up and over all time (since a reset). These can be displayed on the instrument display by scrolling down the different windows but not all at once. Also the display can be customised to show the different averages (they are not all there by default)). You'd need to read the manual to decide which averages you want to display. I set mine up when I first got the car - did an overall reset - and haven't touched them since, just scroll up and down to see what I want to. 

DAB takes a bit of working out - again best to read the manual (a couple of times) to work out how to get the channels you want programmed in. It works in Ensembles (collection of stations) so you select an ensemble and then a station from the ensemble. The BBC national radio stations are all on one ensemble. Once you put one of those on your favourites it will find it anywhere in the country. Also there is a useful FM link function too (I think that needs switching on in the audio setup somewhere) which for the BBC national stations means that if the radio loses the DAB signal as you drive around it will switch to the FM signal for the station and back to DAB when the DAB signal comes back - all seamlessly. That way you don't get DAB drop outs (which are common otherwise, particularly in hilly areas did to DAB not having the same coverage as FM. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd give an update after 2 weeks of so of ownership. I've done a mostly motorway journey, and a cross country journey this weekend just gone. 

Mpg for latter trip was 47.9, I've decided I leave it in standard, and flick into sport when I plan to overtake traffic in front, which I did multiple times, so that's an impressive return. I'm the fuelio app, and the first brim to brim was within 0.2mpg of the display, so that's good news. I'm also quite impressed with the handling, I had to fit koni uprated dampers to my superb to stop it wallowing around like a boat at sea, and the lexus had comparable body control. Grip is surprisingly high, and the RWD means turn in and front wheel grip is good too. It's not a sports car, and won't make you grin much, but you can lean on it and it's predictable. However, the steering is pretty dire, the on-centre feel is pretty poor. At high speed it feels like it's wandering slightly, as if it's following ruts in the road. Maybe I was spoiled by German designs that are set up for high speed autobahn driving. 

I think I found the climate control issue, it seems in the settings that the aircon is always on, so I've deactivated that to manual control. 

Biggest gripe so far is that DAB radio is dead radio. I've tried it in multiple locations between south Wales and the Midlands and all I get is no signal. No amount of fiddling in the menu has woken it up, so welcome any trouble shooting suggestions. 

Otherwise I'm pretty contented with it, it's quiet, comfortable and a relaxing drive for long distances. The only thing left to evaluate is whether there is a benefit to using 99RON instead of E10. I got a net benefit of using it with the Skoda, and the Facebook IS300h users group thinks it does. It's not a stressed engine, no turbo so in theory it's not going to be so sensitive. 

13 hours ago, Stever750 said:

The only thing left to evaluate is whether there is a benefit to using 99RON instead of E10. I got a net benefit of using it with the Skoda, and the Facebook IS300h users group thinks it does. It's not a stressed engine, no turbo so in theory it's not going to be so sensitive. 

higher octanes are for engines with a compression ratio above 12 to 1, and this Lexus has 13 to 1, so I have always given her the slightly more expensive E5 for peace of mind.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links