Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have had some problems with a stuck fuel flap working and then not working.   Drives me mad. The manual release allows me to open the flap when it refuses to open.  The electric button on the dash works fine as the plunger retracts every time no problem with the flap open.    The panel gaps on this car are perfect, doors, bonnet, boot lid etc but I can't believe the fuel flap gaps ever left the factory like this.    No adjustment on the large one piece plastic hinge fastened to the metal door and yet the gaps are rubbish.  

Any thoughts ??

Fuel Flap.jpg

Could be Mark although the flap does sit flush with the quarter panel, no proud areas.  The hinge is very large and made entirely from plastic.  If I can separate the metal flap from the hinge  as they clearly two individual parts I might be able to re align them somehow.    There are 4 screws holding the assembly  to the body and the manual release rod in the boot is directly connected to the plunger along with the electrical switch which also pulls the plunger backwards to allow the door to pop open.  When I removed the screws the was something preventing the hinge/flap coming free.   I actually think the rear upper seat would have to come out to access the pivot area of the hinge but I'm not going there.     The car is under warranty so looks like the dealer will have to get to the bottom of this.   The NX has had similar issues and a modified part is used to cure the fault.     The dealer cast their eye over it 2 days ago when I went to look at the new LBX and suggested the gap on the hinge should be wider to allow the door to open.  This is just BS in order to sound technical.   

Wondering if the “ gap” looks different from different viewing angles and is actually aesthetically ok ? 

lexus lost the pursuit of perfection way back 🤔

Malc 

• Like 1

Compared to 3  ES300s I have had this LS flap is a poor fit.  Looking square on to the flap the gaps are wider on the left and tight on the right.   I saw a You Tube video whereby the owner was separating the metal flap from the plastic arm/hinge and it was on a modern IS300  and it looked like the same design. Clearly it is connected by plastic pegs.  I will separate the two parts and see if I can alter the position of the metal flap.       This is what OCD about stupid stuff does to you.  I even removed the near side rear inner boot trim to access the area to see if the manual pull rod was anything to do with it.   I'm giving up after today. 

• Like 2

Hi Steve,

My LS500h fuel flap has failed to open properly just the once in the time that I've had the car.  I think that the problem is that the spring that pushes the flap open isn't quite strong enough.

My intention is that I'm just going to live with it.  Even though the car is going for a service next week, I'll not be mentioning it. I've had too many experiences of small things getting much worse when a dealership tries to fix them.

I realise that this is a different approach to life!

: o )

• Like 1

Kevin, Malcolm thanks for the comments.   Right this minute the flap is working but don't have any faith in it opening tomorrow or another day.     Never had this ever on 5 previous Lexus cars and the 2 Toyota Yaris cars we have bought, no fault either. 

I guess I can live with it but you are are right Kevin, when a dealer gets involved you never know if they have the skill set to sort it permanently.    Their option will be to just replace the whole hinge assembly and I'm inclined  to go down this route under the car's warranty but I just hate the thought that some couldn't care less Technician makes an arse of a new part installation.   There is more to undoing 4 screws that hold the assembly to the body as I've removed them and although the grey housing is loose something is holding the part on the left hinge side.    Couldn't separate the outer metal flap from the inner plastic frame either.     

This was a known problem with the LC's, something similar of 'plunger works, but not enough force to flip it open', apparently dealerships will replace for you. Others have found a work around by modifying the female side to have a chamfer and this solved the problem permanently. I would of course go the dealership route first as you'll be under warranty. If they looked puzzled (because you have an LS), just say it is a common problem on the LC, forum mentions it etc 🙂

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links