Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rz 450e range and miles per kWh?

The only thing John & I have differed on is tyre noise. He found the fitted summer tyres to be very quiet. In my case I didn’t - not helped as the car itself is exceptionally quiet. I would be interested how others have found the noise of the summer fitments.

Mine may have had an issue, they were massively over inflated at handover - although John said that is normal for new Lexus’s (probably for the long voyage). Anyway, I have the Dunlop summer tyres in storage and had Michelin Cross Climate 2’s put on. Totally different - they didn’t make any difference to the range and had the added benefit of dealing with the expected conditions, which never happened. For summer & winter in the UK I think Cross Climates are the way to go as the temperatures are not extreme enough to warrant summer & winter tyres.  

5 hours ago, wivenhoe said:

Mine may have had an issue, they were massively over inflated at handover - although John said that is normal for new Lexus’s (probably for the long voyage).

No Lexus should be handed over to the customer with over inflated tyres. Yes they are over inflated on the RORO ship to avoid flat spots from the weeks a sea strapped down to the deck but each vehicle should go through a PDI before customer handover where these things are corrected. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

No Lexus should be handed over to the customer with over inflated tyres. Yes they are over inflated on the RORO ship to avoid flat spots from the weeks a sea strapped down to the deck but each vehicle should go through a PDI before customer handover where these things are corrected. 

Every new Lexus I have bought has had the tyres overinflated on pick up.  The RZ pressures should be 2.6 bar front and 2.4 bar rear. At the handover I checked and they were 2.9 bar all round.  I mentioned this and they took it to the workshop to adjust and they came back at 2.7 bar all round which they say is the manufacturers spec. It's not so I gave up and adjusted myself as I always do after pick up.  As for things being checked at the PDI, well that's a story for another day!

When I collected my Velar the infotainment screen was black. Salesman said it was about the 10th car in a row where the car was faulty despite the PDI. I asked him why nothing was done about it and he said it was because Land Rover saved money by having a central prep centre and doing it all themselves. The dealers lost revenue as all they were doing was literally handing the car over as received off the transporter. As he said, the muppet accountants had missed the fact that the central prep staff didn’t have to deal with the embarrassment on handover so were sending out cars unchecked. 
The guy was an old fashioned salesman so got a technician to sort it. He said the Land Rover procedure was for the salesman to provide a phone number to the new car owner and to report the fault so LR could arrange a rectification. Mine was a £75k car but the other car being handed over was a £ 110k SVR Range Rover and nobody could unlock the petrol cap !

• Sad 1

Hi All,

We are looking at the RZ as our next main family car. We have an ID3 and a Sorento PHEV at present and have got used to EVs over the past 3 years.

Popped into local dealer yesterday and I was very impressed with the comfort, seating position and space of the RZ and it just about passed the boot space test when I checked with my trusty tape measure.

My main question rally is how the car does on m/kwh on the new software and the 18" alloys. I see that John has said that he has been getting up to 3.5 m/kwh on his Takumi and this would seem like a reasonable range if we believe a 60KW plus usable Battery size after the software update. Does anyone have a car with the 18s and can tell me their approx range?

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2024 at 7:39 PM, wivenhoe said:

Any decent dealer would install it prior to sale. You can easily tell by the battery state having a % in the display - pre-update this was not available. I am sure the update isn’t a recall as it isn’t a safety issue. 

Hello , any chance you - or any other kind LOC member - can upload a photo with the % in display ?

Cheers

Back on the original subject of miles per Kwh - does anyone know how to reset the Miles/Kwh indicator? Mine started at 2.9 when new but gradually dropped back to the current 2.3. Now the winter is over (??) I would like to get an idea what it's doing without heaters, lights etc.

Tom

I reset mine after the update - you’ll see from the above photo mine is 3.2 average with mostly fast duel carriageway driving. Reset trip - 

IMG_0901.thumb.jpeg.f0c07b04c658aaa6b7e9681e464d9c37.jpeg

Bob, 

Holding the trip button resets whichever trip meter is selected, A or B, but doesn't reset the Miles/Kwh indicator on my car.

43 minutes ago, Tom, said:

Bob, 

Holding the trip button resets whichever trip meter is selected, A or B, but doesn't reset the Miles/Kwh indicator on my car.

Go into the menu for trip information and press update. This resets it.  I always do it before a long trip to see what the car does. Also, after a trip when you switch off if you look at the centre screen it always says what your current trip is in miles/kwh irrespective of whether or not you have reset the trip meter. Doesn't stay there long though.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 1:02 PM, wivenhoe said:

Look at the other thread on here and see the actual miles achieved by owners, rather than critics. Particularly look at the range change after the update - they are significantly more than 2.4 and the review was possibly a pre-update car. 

Do not believe the old reviews of the RZ450e which were conducted on prototype/pre-production vehicles. Am told Lexus updated the software recently. Am getting over 4 m/kWh!

https://www.rzforums.com/threads/amazing-efficiency-and-range.235/post-849

• Like 1

I got that email too. £60k for a car that can only do 200 miles (or day trips up to 100 miles) and then takes 10 hours to charge. My cheap rate electric is only from 00:00 to 05:00 so you would be charging at 50% Battery, so only a range of 100 miles (or up to 50 miles day trips). 

That’s about the same as my UX. 

• Sad 1

Living with an EV is not as bad as it sounds depending on your circumstances.

My experience with a UX300e (2022 model).

Just pottering around town to the shops and going locally I do about 100 miles a week, so charge once a week overnight at cheap rate.

In March we did go from Crewe to Stroud (120 miles) and made it in one jump. The low Battery light came on just as we got to Stroud, and we had the aircon off for a bit on the motorway.  I then charged up on one of the most expensive rapid chargers (£30) and two hours later was full.  Cost about the same as petrol 25p per mile.

The problem I have is that you can’t do day trips further than about 60 miles without having to charge on the way back or whilst you are there. The places we want to go don’t have chargers at the destination, so it would mean stopping on the way back to charge up. Things you take for granted in a petrol car. 

For example if I wanted to go to the RSPB reserve at Llandudno. They don’t have a charger there and I am nervous about getting there and back (140 miles) on one charge (Full range is 165 miles allegedly!). One option could be to park in the Llandudno Tesco and charge up, whilst we walk to the RSPB reserve. Zap map shows four chargers all of unknown status and two showing as available 1 or 2 weeks ago. So you are not sure if they are free and working, or alternatively I could go on the train and pay £3 in the station car park and £30 for a train ticket. 

Would my next car be an EV? Probably not unless you could guarantee charging at your destination. At the moment I think the best option is the plug in Hybrid if you can keep hold of it.

Or could Lexus Reserve come to the rescue for planned trips?

• Like 1

On 4/16/2024 at 7:20 PM, PaulWhitt20 said:

Would my next car be an EV? Probably not unless you could guarantee charging at your destination. At the moment I think the best option is the plug in Hybrid if you can keep hold of it.

Or could Lexus Reserve come to the rescue for planned trips?

This is the main reason I went PHEV. All my local journeys are done on the Battery, but the petrol tank is also good for 500 miles or so when I need it. 

Our second car might be an EV when more affordable options are available, otherwise a small hybrid hatchback and a SUV PHEV seems a sensible balance for now!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tickedon said:

This is the main reason I went PHEV. All my local journeys are done on the battery, but the petrol tank is also good for 500 miles or so when I need it. 

Our second car might be an EV when more affordable options are available, otherwise a small hybrid hatchback and a SUV PHEV seems a sensible balance for now!

Agree 100%. Likewise the bulk of my local running is in ev mode. My NX450h achieved 70mpg+ overall during 2 years and 18000 miles (converting cost of electricity into petrol cost). Now have a RX450h+ which is (as expected) a bit thirstier.

I had 2 Merc, a BMW & a Range Rover PHEV’s - I wished I stuck with them. My last car was a Range Rover Velar (0 - 60 6s) averaged 90mpg with me plugging in it regularly and mostly local driving. I would have swapped my RZ for a RX 450h except they offered me £ 48k for a 6 month old car that cost £ 73k. Oh well. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, wivenhoe said:

I had 2 Merc, a BMW & a Range Rover PHEV’s - I wished I stuck with them. My last car was a Range Rover Velar (0 - 60 6s) averaged 90mpg with me plugging in it regularly and mostly local driving. I would have swapped my RZ for a RX 450h except they offered me £ 48k for a 6 month old car that cost £ 73k. Oh well. 

Huge depreciation but £48k also seems generous, as there’s regularly been nearly new RZ Takumi’s on sale for under £50k on AutoTrader for the last few months.

This is my personal feeling, but I feel as if this is a half baked attempt by Lexus. I fully appreciate that this is a big, heavy car, but a 200 mile range is not great in the grand scheme of things. I'm not sure about the Battery chemistry, but if it's the case that you are keeping it between 20 and 80% and people are getting 200 miles out of a full charge then 160 is what you might expect. 

When you have Kia, Tesla and many others claiming more miles, I'm not sure how Toyota, who were one of the first to dip their toe in the electric market with Hybrid batteries are so far behind. They haven't got anything which can do 300+ miles. 

For most of my driving, yes 200 mile range would be good, but for the times we go to Southampton, we would potentially make it there, but then have to charge on the way back. Recently, we went on a cruise from Southampton. I am glad that we didn't take the EV. On the way down, we stopped at Leigh Delamere services to find their chargers were all in use. Their fast chargers were labelled as 25kw on Zap Map. There was a queue of EV waiting to use them too. On the return journey, in Membrey, the electric charge points were out of action for some unknown reason.

I’m going on holiday to Jersey later this year. On the island they seem to have only 2 Ultra chargers. - the majority are only 7kw - I’ve booked a RX 450h Reserve car ! I’ll find out on Monday whether I have secured the booking or not. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dylanlewis2000 said:

This is my personal feeling, but I feel as if this is a half baked attempt by Lexus. I fully appreciate that this is a big, heavy car, but a 200 mile range is not great in the grand scheme of things. I'm not sure about the battery chemistry, but if it's the case that you are keeping it between 20 and 80% and people are getting 200 miles out of a full charge then 160 is what you might expect. 

When you have Kia, Tesla and many others claiming more miles, I'm not sure how Toyota, who were one of the first to dip their toe in the electric market with Hybrid batteries are so far behind. They haven't got anything which can do 300+ miles. 

For most of my driving, yes 200 mile range would be good, but for the times we go to Southampton, we would potentially make it there, but then have to charge on the way back. Recently, we went on a cruise from Southampton. I am glad that we didn't take the EV. On the way down, we stopped at Leigh Delamere services to find their chargers were all in use. Their fast chargers were labelled as 25kw on Zap Map. There was a queue of EV waiting to use them too. On the return journey, in Membrey, the electric charge points were out of action for some unknown reason.

If you are using the M4, there a lot of chargers just off the Motorway. Bristol for example have many but  Ionity at Chippenham Pit Stop is literally 1/2 mile of the M4 and only a couple of miles or so from Leigh Delemere is usually good and I've never had to wait. Leigh Delemere eastbound only has 4 and usually full or not working but westbound has 6 or 8 and never had to wait. There are many chargers just of the motorway which are a better bet when you are on a longer trip.

10 hours ago, wivenhoe said:

I’m going on holiday to Jersey later this year. On the island they seem to have only 2 Ultra chargers. - the majority are only 7kw - I’ve booked a RX 450h Reserve car ! I’ll find out on Monday whether I have secured the booking or not. 

Bob, how did you book this. I was thinking of doing it for a longish trip in September but my dealer hasn't a clue. Did you just email Lexus Reserve?

4 hours ago, John Adams said:

Bob, how did you book this. I was thinking of doing it for a longish trip in September but my dealer hasn't a clue. Did you just email Lexus Reserve?

It’s detailed in the T&Cs:

https://www.lexus.co.uk/content/dam/lexus/nmsc/united-kingdom/cross-model/Lexus-Reserve-TandCs-2.pdf

3.1 You must book your Reserve Days by emailing lexusreserve@lexus.co.uk.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links